Wheel of Time

Arative

Vyemm Raider
My understanding of Rand and Mat's attractiveness was that Rand is very tall and his red hair and blue eyes make him stand out and attract looks, and Mat isn't ugly of course but mostly he's very charming, he's basically Han Solo in heroic fantasy.

Anyway I wouldn't worry too much about this show not respecting the intricate details because I really doubt we'll even see a season 2.
Amazon has dropped too much money to not give it a season 2.

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
Amazon has dropped too much money to not give it a season 2.

Amazon has spent a billion dollars on Lord of the Rings, you can bet they're not going to allow anything to compete with it, especially if it underperforms (as this likely will).

Releasing two heroic fantasy series around the same time on the same channel is one weird ass idea.

velk

Trakanon Raider
Mat and Rand were considered very handsome, and Mat had no trouble at all with getting who he wanted.

I think you may have missed the ongoing joke that the three awkward virgins all think that the other two are amazing at picking up girls.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
The diversity hires are jarring.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
The casting looks bad, but if they stick with the story it should be ok I guess, although I'm thinking they won't.
A lot of people hated witcher too for the same casting reasons and it turned out kinda ok... well other than the dick armor... and triss... and yennefer...
I'll give it a watch anyways, haven't read it in ages, but one of my favorite series along with game of thrones.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think you may have missed the ongoing joke that the three awkward virgins all think that the other two are amazing at picking up girls.
That didn't last very long once they left Two Rivers.

Sterling

El Presidente
That didn't last very long once they left Two Rivers.
It gets brought up pretty often well past them leaving home. Many times if one of them gets flustered around some female character they always pine over how one of the others would have handled it so much better.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

spronk

FPS noob
yeah if you're gonna go woke and insist to rainbow road your cast and mix it up all up with shades of brown, why not at least hire crazy attractive people? Shadow And Bones from Netflix is full of a diverse cast but they are all pretty smoking hot so I enjoyed the show.

the cast of wheel of time looks like people I see every day. I feel bad for women, the dudes look like mostly homeless guys except for the asian guy. matt looks like a recovering meth addict, perrin looks like he is 5 minutes away from a 20 year domestic abuse prison stint, and the redhead looks like a serial killer.

https%3A%2F%2Fwinteriscoming.net%2Ffiles%2F2020%2F05%2FEESO56WWkAA3Lyt-850x560.jpeg

the women aren't ugly but they aren't hollywood hot, and all we used to get on movies and TV is hollywood hot except for the one single character actor who you could rely on to actually carry the acting and looked like Steve Buscemi, Michael Shannon, Kathy Bates, Margo Martindale, etc.

i can't wait for the reboot of 50 Shades of Grey starring Danny DeVito and Melissa McCarthy

• 3Worf
  • 2Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 5 users

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It gets brought up pretty often well past them leaving home. Many times if one of them gets flustered around some female character they always pine over how one of the others would have handled it so much better.
Yep, this definitely happens with Mat and Tuon and Perrin and Faille (barf)

Sterling

El Presidente
yeah if you're gonna go woke and insist to rainbow road your cast and mix it up all up with shades of brown, why not at least hire crazy attractive people? Shadow And Bones from Netflix is full of a diverse cast but they are all pretty smoking hot so I enjoyed the show.

the cast of wheel of time looks like people I see every day. I feel bad for women, the dudes look like mostly homeless guys except for the asian guy. matt looks like a recovering meth addict, perrin looks like he is 5 minutes away from a 20 year domestic abuse prison stint, and the redhead looks like a serial killer.

https%3A%2F%2Fwinteriscoming.net%2Ffiles%2F2020%2F05%2FEESO56WWkAA3Lyt-850x560.jpeg

the women aren't ugly but they aren't hollywood hot, and all we used to get on movies and TV is hollywood hot except for the one single character actor who you could rely on to actually carry the acting and looked like Steve Buscemi, Michael Shannon, Kathy Bates, Margo Martindale, etc.

i can't wait for the reboot of 50 Shades of Grey starring Danny DeVito and Melissa McCarthy
The Moraine actress looks so much better in this photo. She's just really off putting in character.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
If you want to be technical about it (you don't), this is perhaps one of the only franchises where this could possibly make sense, as it takes place in the far future where society has gone medieval after a massive cataclysm but prior to that it was an advanced society probably full of melting pot cities.

When the shit stopped working and people went back to making wood cabins and tilling fields, it's probable they stuck around and that'd explain the various colors even in small, isolated communities.

Say again? Wheel of Time Nations – Ebony's WoT Fan Guide . Not all the nations have distinctive looks but the Two Rivers supposedly did as did many others. It doesn't look like your reimagining of the series is how Jordan imagined it.

If you want to encourage another series to completely ignore canon, then say so or make up your own little world. You can call it the Wheel of Melting Pots and send it straight to Netflix.

On to the series, it looks ok. I'll watch it as it's own creative effort and see how much they can get right. Based off everything else, not much.

• 1Like

Goatface

i know nothing of the series and trailer didn't do shit for me.

• 3Solidarity

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Some of it looks good, but why do they need to change the Myrdraal to have some weird ass mouth full of lamprey teeth when white skin and no fucking eyes is creepy enough?

Here is the real reason: They either don't like or don't trust that their portrayal source material to connect with audiences. The books were a massive fucking success so this is not on them, this is on the showrunners and producers.

• 3Like

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Say again? Wheel of Time Nations – Ebony's WoT Fan Guide . Not all the nations have distinctive looks but the Two Rivers supposedly did as did many others. It doesn't look like your reimagining of the series is how Jordan imagined it.

If you want to encourage another series to completely ignore canon, then say so or make up your own little world. You can call it the Wheel of Melting Pots and send it straight to Netflix.

On to the series, it looks ok. I'll watch it as it's own creative effort and see how much they can get right. Based off everything else, not much.

It is fucking hilarious that Jordan created a diverse world that had woman and minority empowerment fucking EVERYWHERE but since he based his story around a group that came out of 10+ generations of isolated breeding among paler skinned people that they have to throw it all in the trash.

• 4Like
  • 3Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Which has nothing to do with how attractive they were thought to be by various women throughout the series, those moments were simply about being able to speak to women as far as I recall.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You could always just use the actors that Jordan referenced as how HE thought of his characters as a base, but if you do so, you'll be flooded with "that isn't canon!" comments. I'll actually be surprised if Rand is the main character in this series, since I see it being all about Moiraine / Egwene / Nynaeve / Aes Sedai.

• 1Like

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
All those years he spent describing everything and everyone in painful levels of detail and they just TLDR do whatever :emoji_laughing:

• 9Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 9 users

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I wonder how much hair straightener they will need to use on Nynaeve's character so she can have a waist length braid to tug on... over and over and over.

• 3Like