Wheel of Time

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Also, that line from the trailer about it being one of the 5 seems to be an actual thing and not just some throw away line. Like Egwene or Nynaeve could be the Dragon Reborn? Ugh.
lol this is terrible
But Moiraine’s main job is to identify and find the Dragon Reborn. All she has to go on is an age range and her magical intuition; the Dragon Reborn isn’t really a dragon — it’s a man or a woman who can be tempted by the Light or the Dark to save or destroy humanity (respectively).
Her quest, aided by Lan Mondragoran (Daniel Henney) her Warder (aka bodyguard), leads to a small town called Two Rivers and five of its inhabitants, any of whom could be the Dragon Reborn. ... Perrin Aybara (Marcus Rutherford), who’s already well on his way to Rand’s dream, as a happily married young man; Mat Cauthon (Barney Harris), a gambling addict and single father desperate to make a better life for his girls; ...

Not knowing which of the locals is the Dragon Reborn, Moiraine guides them all through a perilous journey to save the world
lmao

• 1Worf
  • 1Rustled
Reactions: 1 users

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Perrin married already, Mat a single father...WTF. This serves no purpose whatsoever as far as adapting the books to tv show. Doesn't fit with their characters or the arcs they'll follow.

I'm not a purist, I understand changes have to be made to adapt the story books to tv, it's 2 different mediums. Stuff has to be cut, some condensed, some stuff from other books can be brought into this for smoother pacing etc...but these changes make no sense. This is definitely has the feel of massive hubris where the showrunner think he can tell a better story than Robert Jordan did.

I hope that story is a joke.

• 4Like
  • 1Rustled
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 5 users

Raes

Vyemm Raider
It's pretty obvious that reviewer never read the books. Yeah, dumbass it's not really a dragon reborn, it's THE Dragon aka Lews Therin reborn. At best he skimmed a synopsis or some shit.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Arative

Vyemm Raider
If parts of this review are true then wtf, this kind of change is really stupid.

Perrin is married and Mat is a single father who wants what’s best for his kids? Barf.
Wait a minute, they already married Perrin and Mat has some kids? What the fuck is that shit.

• 1Solidarity

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I never read the Sanderson stuff and it has been at least a decade since I read the originals.

My wife saw a trailer for this and said she might be interested.

My question is would you rather watch this series with your lady or watch some Hallmark Christmas Movies your lady?

• 1Barf

Sterling

El Presidente
This show is going to make you miss the good old days of Legend of the Seeker. It feels like The Boyz is an anomaly and they lucked into The Expanse needing a new home.

• 1Like

Warpath

Golden Baronet of the Realm
looking forward to reaction here more than the actual show

• 6Like
  • 5Solidarity
Reactions: 10 users

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Wait a minute, they already married Perrin and Mat has some kids? What the fuck is that shit.

Mat: "Omg, I'm so concerned about making a better life for my kids that I'm gonna run off and leave them behind in Two Rivers for years while I travel the world, and then I'm gonna start my own mercenary band and run around fighting battles and shit."

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sterling

El Presidente
Mat: "Omg, I'm so concerned about making a better life for my kids that I'm gonna run off and leave them behind in Two Rivers for years while I travel the world, and then I'm gonna start my own mercenary band and run around fighting battles and shit."
Yeah, it's a giant fundamental shift of the character.

• 1Like

Arative

Vyemm Raider
I'm guessing the writers never read the books for them to pull that shit. On the other hand, if Perrin is married, does that mean we won't get him running around moaning about Faile all the time?

Raes

Vyemm Raider
I'm guessing the writers never read the books for them to pull that shit. On the other hand, if Perrin is married, does that mean we won't get him running around moaning about Faile all the time?
It will completely remove Faile as a character, I would assume.

Arative

Vyemm Raider
It will completely remove Faile as a character, I would assume.
But then wouldn't that completely alter Perrin's character arc? I was sort of looking forward to watching this, now I'm not sure.

• 1Worf

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
If parts of this review are true then wtf, this kind of change is really stupid.

Perrin is married and Mat is a single father who wants what’s best for his kids? Barf.
This confirms the “It’s one of you five” BS in the trailer.

Moiraine’s main job is to identify and find the Dragon Reborn. All she has to go on is an age range and her magical intuition; the Dragon Reborn isn’t really a dragon — it’s a man or a woman who can be tempted by the Light or the Dark to save or destroy humanity (respectively).

Her quest, aided by Lan Mondragoran (Daniel Henney) her Warder (aka bodyguard), leads to a small town called Two Rivers and five of its inhabitants, any of whom could be the Dragon Reborn.

The person who reviewed this obviously didn’t read the series and already bags the show as being bad. I’m pretty sure book readers are going to hate it with a passion. Shame.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
But then wouldn't that completely alter Perrin's character arc? I was sort of looking forward to watching this, now I'm not sure.

Exactly. It's been years since the last time I read the series, but IIRC, having a Saldaean noblewoman for his wife is kinda integral to Perrin's later arc when he returns home.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Arative

Vyemm Raider
Exactly. It's been years since the last time I read the series, but IIRC, having a Saldaean noblewoman for his wife is kinda integral to Perrin's later arc when he returns home.
It sounds like the writers are butchering the story because they figure book readers are only a small part of the audience or the author of the article is an idiot or both!

• 1Like

Raes

Vyemm Raider
It sounds like the writers are butchering the story because they figure book readers are only a small part of the audience or the author of the article is an idiot or both!

It's pretty retarded. Zero reason to add characters (Mat's kids/Perrin's wife) that they are immediately going to leave behind, and why the fuck would they leave? Perrin's relationship with Faile is like 70% of his fucking story. Plus, ya know, the whole POV of Rand/Mat/Perrin being only fucking 18 yrs old.