Wheel of Time

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Just do what I do. Screen rants Pitch Meetings are better than anything produced the last few years...

Just follow the fucking books if you want to make a movie or series. Why change shit all the time. I would only watch it if it followed the story correctly.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
There are changes I would accept. Such as Faille being brutally murdered. Nynaeve being bitchslapped by Lan. Elaine getting bare asses spanked by rand every time she bosses him around. Things of that nature.

18 year old Mat being a single father of two kids in the conservative farming village of Two Rivers? Stupid.

The Dragon Reborn could be male or female? That shit is so fundamentally anti-WoT story it’s just ridiculous. The Dragon being male thus being extremely important to be allowed to live and channel while knowing he’s going to go insane and be obscenely dangerous IS the entire fucking 14 book story.

• 4Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I decided not to watch this out the gate. I’ll wait a couple episodes and see what the general consensus is.

If it passes the initial smell test here I’ll give it a go.
I have read this series multiple times. I loved it as a teen and would reread it from the start any time a new book released. Looking at the years the books released and when I started I’ve probably read the first 4-5 books five or six times. I stopped rereads as I got older and waited for it to finish before a final reread.

I’ve decided to take one for the team and watch this and rant about it to you dickheads. I’m going in expecting it to be trash. Not sure if I’ll be able to make it through all three episodes but I’ll try.

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I have read this series multiple times. I loved it as a teen and would reread it from the start any time a new book released. Looking at the years the books released and when I started I’ve probably read the first 4-5 books five or six times. I stopped rereads as I got older and waited for it to finish before a final reread.

I’ve decided to take one for the team and watch this and rant about it to you dickheads. I’m going in expecting it to be trash. Not sure if I’ll be able to make it through all three episodes but I’ll try.

We expect in depth bitching and ranting and for you to entertain us. It's the FoH way.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Gutterflesh

Parody Account
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

You are a brave man. Now get in there and report back on what you find.

D29FF31C-8E71-4E1F-8809-85482C449DFF.gif

• 6Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 7 users

Szlia

I am not exactly sure why people are surprised that changes are made when adapting a 30 years old book. I guess you can argue that if core tenets of a book did not age well, you should just not adapt it. Or, more reasonably, that if changes are being made they should make some sense. On that last part, it's easy to see the changes from the source material, but difficult to know if these changes work in the context of the adaptation.

I am a little bit more worried of things we can plainly see, like a sub par level of production design compared to expectations created by shows like Game of Thrones (where all sets and costumes look and feel "lived in").

• 2Picard
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 2 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I hope the series runs long enough so we can see Mat become step dad to Tuon's bastard kids. Updated for modern times indeed!

Also, she's fat and sassy.

• 1Barf

Gutterflesh

Parody Account
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I am not exactly sure why people are surprised that changes are made when adapting a 30 years old book. I guess you can argue that if core tenets of a book did not age well, you should just not adapt it. Or, more reasonably, that if changes are being made they should make some sense. On that last part, it's easy to see the changes from the source material, but difficult to know if these changes work in the context of the adaptation.

I am a little bit more worried of things we can plainly see, like a sub par level of production design compared to expectations created by shows like Game of Thrones (where all sets and costumes look and feel "lived in").
The story of WoT aged just fine. Making excuses for the complete bastardization of an original story is not fine.

If they stay true to the source content then I’ll watch it. The production budget will come if the first season is a success.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

spronk

FPS noob
first episode (first 3?) are supposed to drop on amazon prime at 4pm PST / 7pm EDT, aka 5 mins from now

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
It took me exactly 58 seconds to cringe. "We don't know if he was reborn as a girl or a boy.", "men who were born with great power believed they could cage darkness itself. The arrogance." Starting to pour drinks now to make this more tolerable.

Minute 5 is true to the source material at least. Braid discussion. Glad they kept that vital part in tact.

• 2Like
  • 1Barf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I'm okay with minor changes that dont affect the core pieces of the story or the lore. They rarely stop there though.

• 1Like

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
I'm okay with minor changes that dont affect the core pieces of the story or the lore. They rarely stop there though.

Perrin being married, the dragon reborn potentially not being a male, and there being '4' Ta'Veren that leads Moiraine to the two rivers are not minor changes that don't affect the core pieces of the story or the lore. Thankfully I haven't seen Mat having kids yet, albeit that was replaced with a scene of his dad being a deadbeat, his mom telling him he'll be a good for nothing piece of shit in the future, and him taking on his (presumably) brother's and sister's (he's an only child in the books) to bed rather than continue to 'lose' at dice. If you don't see the core departures here, I'm not sure what to say.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Perrin being married, the dragon reborn potentially not being a male, and there being '4' Ta'Veren that leads Moiraine to the two rivers are not minor changes that don't affect the core pieces of the story or the lore. Thankfully I haven't seen Mat having kids yet, albeit that was replaced with a scene of his dad being a deadbeat, his mom telling him he'll be a good for nothing piece of shit in the future, and him taking on his (presumably) brother's and sister's (he's an only child in the books) to bed rather than continue to 'lose' at dice. If you don't see the core departures here, I'm not sure what to say.
I never said anything in reference to the changes in this show at all. I simply stated my opinion on changes.

• 1Like

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger

The story is literally, and I mean literally, about the second coming of the most powerful man that ever lived with the specific purpose of redeeming the tainted, exclusively-male portion of the One Power. There isn't a way to make it mainly about women and have the over-arching story make sense. At all. Period.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I wonder if they will ever do a flashback of that one Aes Sedai seer who proclaims "he" / 'the dragon" is reborn, then dies. Ya know, the event that started Moiraine / Suian down the path that led them where they ended up.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
The story of WoT aged just fine. Making excuses for the complete bastardization of an original story is not fine.

If they stay true to the source content then I’ll watch it. The production budget will come if the first season is a success.

It didn't just age fine, it aged into what these cusks want! Strong women. Subservient men. National pride. Inter-racial relationships. Gay sex!

• 1Worf
  • 1WTF

Sterling

El Presidente
Who was an only child? Mat had sisters.

• 1Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
The pegging scene will be lit
Oh god, why did Ossoi's avatar pop into my head when I read that.

When you fully realize what this did to me, feel free to hit that puke button.

• 2Barf

Sterling

El Presidente
I'm like 10 minutes into this. Even with really, really low expectations this is horrendously bad.

• 1Worf

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
43 minutes in, I’m out.

There were some nice scenery shots is best I can say about it.