Wheel of Time

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
ok. yeah. Moraines use did seem fairly elemental. but, things like the shields, and quieting or whatever it was called, etc.. not particularly so.
but still, there should be a ton of things you could do with elemental magic in a forest to hide yourself, or defend.

A lie is a weapon, so that makes sense. now I'm wondering about other forms of misdirection.. would leaving a false trail... be a weapon or lie?
No, because think of a false trail the same way you would think of bending the truth. You still end up in the same place but how you got there is more of a convenience for you than who you are telling.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
The whole seven rings bit was just stupid. Even seeing a single ring would be proof enough that this fucknut is likely to kill you and thus you are free to eradicate the bitch.

Not to mention the myriad of defensive weaves that anyone raised to a full shawl should know and use whenever they get near one of those bleached twats.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Wow I edited my own post by mistake. Fucking boomer moment.

They can set trails and dress up as other people, those aren’t lies. They just can’t speak a word that is untrue, literally. They can do all kinds of word fuckery to get around that oath.

Here’s a whitecloaks history if you’re interested.

If you don’t want to read the TLDR is they’re basically like the crusaders/inquisition. They go around bullying common folk and accuse them of being dark friends, even with no proof. Their power is mostly limited to one country.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
No, because think of a false trail the same way you would think of bending the truth. You still end up in the same place but how you got there is more of a convenience for you than who you are telling.
There’s nothing against a false trail period. It’s not speaking a lie with your mouth. That’s all it does. I’m pretty sure they could even write a lie in a letter? I’m not 100% on writing lies but I know the oath was very literal.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I had been waiting to respond cause I wanted to at least try and give it a fair shot. But I am aligned with most of the folks in here. Episode 1 was not good and immediately went away from source material, and 2-4 were much better but still lacking. Episode 5 took it to a level of bad that has officially killed my hopes of this being redeemable in anyway.

If I had to point to a single thing that did it for me it's the fact that they are cutting out important parts, and instead wasting it on making up shit about Lan crying over a dead warder. That is the absolute antithesis of Lan's character, and the fact that they spent that much showtime on that storyline while cutting out more important parts, is enough for me.

Loial is just beyond LOL worthy.

I will probably finish the season since it is only a few episodes left, but barring some badass last couple episodes, I won't watch season 2.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
i'm out of the mainstream / social media so i have no idea what the general public reaction is, mainstream media seems to be pushing the idea that its super positive. Only Amazon really knows if the audience is growing every week or not, and thats really the only metric that matters (well, and how many new amazon prime subs it drives).

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
a false trial could be directly leading someone into danger. Like, they were being followed by the army of trollocks. lets say, Moraine and lan suspected the White cloaks were following them after the incident. Could she use the One power, to create a false trail, away from them.. towards the Trollocks? or like even taking it a step further.. lets say she and her warder dug a pit with the One power.. and then put spikes in it by hand...

Who is the arbiter? her conscience, or a divine conscience?

Last edited:
  • 1Picard

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Got 1.5 shows in and noped out. This is boring shit. I also never got more than 1/2 way through the 1st book and thought the same thing 'boring shit'.
Also realized before I cut it off who the indian 'wisdom' looks like, female shrek!

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
a false trial could be directly leading someone into danger. Like, they were being followed by the army of trollocks. lets say, Moraine and lan suspected the White cloaks were following them after the incident. Could she use the One power, to create a false trail, away from them.. towards the Trollocks? or like even taking it a step further.. lets say she and her warder dug a pit with the One power.. and then put spikes in it by hand...

Who is the arbiter? her conscience, or a divine conscience?
No, like I said it’s very literal. They could make a false trail that leads to a trap that kills everyone. She didn’t lie with speaking, and she didn’t use the one power as the means of killing the people.

She can even stab someone with a mundane knife to kill them, as long as she doesn’t use the power and didn’t make the weapon with power. She could even forge the knife herself with regular means.

• 1Like

Raes

Vyemm Raider
i'm out of the mainstream / social media so i have no idea what the general public reaction is, mainstream media seems to be pushing the idea that its super positive. Only Amazon really knows if the audience is growing every week or not, and thats really the only metric that matters (well, and how many new amazon prime subs it drives).

Of course it's super positive! You want proof? Go make a post on reddit saying something bad about the show, then see how fast you get downvoted to oblivion, lol. It's fucking retarded over there, they literally make up shit to be positive about. Did you see Lan's belt buckle? OMG, so perfect! I made that one up, but here's a real one.

They were discussing the Forsaken, and the scene with the figurines. They were playing "guess which figurine is who" and just assuming because there were only 8 figurines, that 5 Forsaken would be cut. And they were fine with that, like, no big deal, and just happy trying to figure out who didn't get cut.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The thing is, doing all of this to "surprise" the audience doesn't even serve the people they're trying to surprise right now. "Aaaand now your main character is not the people we've characterized and given you time to know, but this random guy we made sure to shove to the back of the screen half the time and skipped his characterization after leaving the village!" If I'd never read anything, having them do that would be an "Uh, well, okay, bye I guess?" moment as a viewer.

Although it would be amusing if they just continued back-lining Rand after he's revealed to be the dragon. Just have the rest of the series be everyone else's perspective while Rand's off dragoning about. There's enough content from the other POVs that you could probably just do that.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Djay

Trakanon Raider
I've never read the books...I have no horse in the race here and actually want to enjoy this. With that said, my main thought during the first 3 episodes was, "Man, I wish they had done more seasons of Legend of the Seeker."

I actually thought the 4th episode was more entertaining that the others. The ogre dude actually behaved differently than every other single person in the show, so that was nice. Still can't get over ginger Hayden Christensen, though. And then there was actually a moment that was fairly interesting when the one chick stabbed that one dude. Cool, something happened....but then she didn't finish the job and it was just dumb. Which reminds me....I don't care when people die....that one dude fake died in Episode 2 or 3 and I didn't care, then he was brought back and I cared less. This other dude died in this episode and all I could think was... 1) I don't care and 2) he didn't really need to drug the other guy to do this....he could have just done it, it was unnecessarily convoluted.

And no, I'm not going to spend any time learning their real names right now. They're ginger Hayden, asshole guy, big wolf guy, and the girl with the mole on her nose until I have a reason to care.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
So, in reference to what I posted earlier about reddit, I'm currently watching the Knightswatch review of episode 5 and they're saying that the WoT tv show subreddits (other than r/whitecloaks) actually instaban anyone who talks bad about the show. Explains a lot.

Tripamang

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Terrible show, it's like they tried to cast the ugliest people possible. Between the fat mages, the bitch with the mole, the mouth breather wolf dude and that ginger with the world's most punchable face I'm in a perpetual state of revoltion. None of them have any acting depth at all, it's like watching an over dramatized children's play.

I can't watch it anymore, those anti mage inquisition guys right outside the white tower was just too stupid. Seven mages can kill an army but those shirt birds in white freely move outside their stronghold? Fuck off. It's just insulting to the audience.. Jesus don't even get me started on that whole "conversation" with the troll, whoever wrote must think the audience needs to be reminded to breath at regular intervals.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Something that occured to me when they first announced the adaptation is that Wheel of Time was revolutionary at the time it was written, but that's because it was coming on the heels of stuff like Dragonlance, Piers Anthony, or some of the more godawful Forgotten Realms paperback novels.

Market-oriented contemporary fantasy was just not in a good place throughout the 80s. It was in a very campy place and I think it's the sort of thing it needed to go through in order to get to a Cosmere type situation.

There were many times while reading the Wheel of Time that I had to just shake my head and sigh and that was before everything went off the rails with endless braid tugging and invented side-plots coming out of left field.

This is all to say that while it is unquestionably epic I'm not sure it's really all that good.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
The SKIP INTRO button didn't work right for at least a few of the episodes. 1 intern could've handled that, says all it needs to for attention to detail lol.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
This is all to say that while it is unquestionably epic I'm not sure it's really all that good.

What was good was the world building/lore. That's what made it epic. RJ's writing has too much descriptive filler to be really good. And, yeah, way too many extra plotlines/characters.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The SKIP INTRO button didn't work right for at least a few of the episodes. 1 intern could've handled that, says all it needs to for attention to detail lol.
I feel like a ton of shows force you to watch the intros. Just so happens I hate all intro's. Interesting.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Is braid tugging a euphemism for shitty women characters? Otherwise its the biggest larp criticism of the books. People act like Jordan described braid tugging the same way he described the trees or something and it's hilarious.