Wheel of Time

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
"Tuon, tough? True, she was the Daughter of the Nine Moons and all of that, and she had been able to get under his skin with a look back in the Tarasin Palace, when he thought she was just another Seachan noblewoman with her nose in the air, but that was just because she kept turning up where he did not expect. No more than that. Tough? She looked like a doll made of black porcelain. How tough could she be?"

From Crossroads of Twilight

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
what the fuck, how many hours did I spend reading those books and never once pictured Tuon as black.

Not clear how Artur Hawkwing's descendants ended up African but I guess I cant argue with text references.

So they were a race of black people who brought slavery to the Westlands?
1621603668490.png

• 1Garbage
Reactions: 1 user

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
lol no. I see your fan fic picture but did you even read those books? I don't recall a single mention of the Seanchan being black. Werent they Artur Hawkwing's descendants, from the same land as the main characters?

Yes, a quick wiki review says they were. What is this fan fic Seanchan were black nonsense?

It does seem like there may have been one or two dark skinned forsaken, though.

“Tuon raised a peremptory hand, a black porcelain doll, but every inch a queen despite the shabby, too large dress” – Crossroads of Twilight

Tuon did have the surname Paendragon so you got that right.

• 1Like

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
To be honest, their names and culture of honor/deference made me always picture them as Asian even thought the description was that they were darker. I get that it is a fantasy realm, but the history of this world kept making me think Samurai-esque society. It would be like naming a character something undeniably European, having them live in gothic castles with flying buttresses and caste system, and then describing their appearance as Native American.

• 3Like

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
To be honest, their names and culture of honor/deference made me always picture them as Asian even thought the description was that they were darker. I get that it is a fantasy realm, but the history of this world kept making me think Samurai-esque society. It would be like naming a character something undeniably European, having them live in gothic castles with flying buttresses and caste system, and then describing their appearance as Native American.

Dude seriously I thought of them as black folk with Asian armors flying on Manta Rays? Best way I can describe it. RJ was all over the place in his race regards. BUT he was very specific about the big three.

• 3Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I always imagined them as black people, the Aiel as fremen from dune, and the rest of the cultures were more vague. I definitely thought of rand's area and the more north as whiter, and the southern parts as perhaps middle eastern or asian. These books were written before wokeness was a thing. For that I'm glad, I don't need to be beaten over the head with this world while trying to enjoy the idea of a different world.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Not all Seanchan were as dark skinned as Tuon. The people that left Randland were a mix of all the people of Randland at the time of Hawkwing. The lands of Seanchan were just as multi-racial. There are probably several descriptions of the various Seanchan characters which would show them to be of various skin colors, but all unified into the dominant culture that is a mix of Hawkwing era and whatever was present in Seanchan.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm gonna give it a chance. The setting allows for a lot of flexibility in terms of diversity, so I can at least turn a blind eye to that. Would it be too much to fucking ask if they looked at how good the actors are at acting before looking at their checklist, though?

We'll see which order they looked at things when this comes out.
Not at all, at least in regards to the main characters. That cast isn't diverse enough to stop the show runners from changing things (Perrin being black, etc.). So it will be a shitshow in regards to that. Now whether it is well written and acted...just have to wait and see.

Sterling

El Presidente
Sea Folk were dark. Some Seanchan are dark. Tairens I always thought were likely spanish/mediteranean types, aiel are desert people. They never really specify what sort of skin tone most others have but if The Two Rivers is some backwoods isolated area you'd think they'd largely be similar regardless of which choice they make. At least Semirhage is black among the Chosen. Seems like there's plenty of diversity just built in already.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This legit for real?

There are plenty of side characters they could have used for their diversity. The Aiel you could have easily made diverse since they were a desert people. Give Tuon and the Seanchan a more screen time if you need to.
The Aiel were/are as white as can be. Given how reclusive they were, a dramatic change to their "ethnicity" would be impossible, and could only come from sjw writers. Having a non white Aiel would be as silly as having a non black Tuon or Semirhage. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I would prefer a tv adaptation of a book to be as close to what was written as possible, but no, now we have writers that just have to change things.

• 2Like

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
The Aiel were/are as white as can be. Given how reclusive they were, a dramatic change to their "ethnicity" would be impossible, and could only come from sjw writers. Having a non white Aiel would be as silly as having a non black Tuon or Semirhage. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I would prefer a tv adaptation of a book to be as close to what was written as possible, but no, now we have writers that just have to change things.

My example was strictly on trying to sell it as a reasoning WHY they could be brown. Not that they should. Not sure how you have a bunch of black red heads running around :oops:

• 1Worf

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Seems like there's plenty of diversity just built in already.

Yeah. Not sure why they need to fuck with any of the main characters. Like I said. You want diversity in this series, just give more screen time to those you want to promote.

• 1Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Yeah. Not sure why they need to fuck with any of the main characters. Like I said. You want diversity in this series, just give more screen time to those you want to promote.
TBH I don't give a shit as long as he can act. Seeing that he's Perrin, all he has to do is act retarded and have big muscles and he'll play the role right. If he doesn't look like chef rush a few seasons in I'm gonna be disappoint.

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I doubt the series will get past Eye of the World, so not a large number of side characters to really focus on. Memory is a bit foggy, but the major areas we'll see are Edmonds Field, Taren Ferry, Whitebridge, Caemlyn, a bit of Tar Valon and then Fal Dara.

• 2Like

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
On the Q&A they had the other day, whoever was doing it (the Rand actor maybe?) said that it won't be 1 season = 1 book. Not sure if that's relevant for earlier seasons or whatever later seasons they have planned.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
why we worried about tuon? if they follow the timeline...BOOK 9 is when Tuon first arrives from Seanchan.

she is mentioned in book 1 by the high lord ( as the daughter of the nine moons) but that is about the last time she is mentioned until she arrives in ebou dar.

granted her and matt's interactions are about my favorite relationship in the series...and the prophesy about matt and her is just awesome.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
On the Q&A they had the other day, whoever was doing it (the Rand actor maybe?) said that it won't be 1 season = 1 book. Not sure if that's relevant for earlier seasons or whatever later seasons they have planned.
6-9 could be condensed to an episode and I'd be happy. Fuck those books. Rand boxquest is the worst.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Boxquest had an amazing ending though. 8-10 was the real bloat, 10 in particular.
Oh yea, the ending was jizztastic, but the wait was not. I can't remember the books exactly with how long it's been since I read them, and I have no intention of reading them ever again, but wasn't he in that thing for an entire book and a half? If not it sure felt like it.

• 1Solidarity

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
TBH I don't give a shit as long as he can act. Seeing that he's Perrin, all he has to do is act retarded and have big muscles and he'll play the role right. If he doesn't look like chef rush a few seasons in I'm gonna be disappoint.
A black guy that doesn't abandon his baby momma and doesn't tell his side ho to stfu? Perrin CANNOT be black.