Wheel of Time

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
why we worried about tuon? if they follow the timeline...BOOK 9 is when Tuon first arrives from Seanchan.

she is mentioned in book 1 by the high lord ( as the daughter of the nine moons) but that is about the last time she is mentioned until she arrives in ebou dar.

granted her and matt's interactions are about my favorite relationship in the series...and the prophesy about matt and her is just awesome.

I'd bet money they do a shitty ass foreshadowing or timeline fuckery to introduce her early.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sterling

El Presidente
It wasn't anywhere near that long unless you're just talking about the random stuff that was happening in Cairhien. But once the thing actually happened it was like 1 or 2 chapters of his, 1 or 2 from galina/shaido perspective and like a perrin chapter before the big ending. Path of Daggers > WH > CoT were 3 books that could easily have been 2 though. or maybe include Crown of Swords before it and Knife of Dreams after that run and make it 3 total. Crown took forever to come out because his divorce happened before it's release and editing really started to suffer at that point.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Rand was not in the box for very long.
Since it's TV it will be predictable... end of episode, Rand goes in box. Next episode, Rand is in box. Third episode, season finale, Rand goes fucking ballistic.

• 1Like

Maul

Dental Dammer
I don't give a rats ass about how much diversity is in a show. Whatever, as long as the actors or actresses can do the parts well and the story is good it usually does not matter. There's far too much concern on these forums about whether a show has too little or too much diversity instead of caring about whether the show is entertaining (or educational if that's the sort of show it is) or not. So, if y'all wonder why Mud might neg you, there's one possible reason for ya.

That said, I have a bad feeling about this show. More than one season per book means they're gonna abandon it in the middle (which might be a mercy to be sure, we'll see).
Haha shut your mouth you rancid fat fucker, everyone hates you.

• 4Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 5 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
It’s highly likely to suck, regardless of anyone’s skin color. What other fantasy show has been well done besides the first 75% of GoT? They’ve all been shit, I never expect any fantasy series to be watchable. I’ll check out the first episode or two and if it sucks I drop it, like every fantasy series.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sterling

El Presidente
It’s highly likely to suck, regardless of anyone’s skin color. What other fantasy show has been well done besides the first 75% of GoT? They’ve all been shit, I never expect any fantasy series to be watchable. I’ll check out the first episode or two and if it sucks I drop it, like every fantasy series.
Pretty much this.

LotR is probably going to be shit, and if The Black Company actually happens, that'll likely be shit too.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>

While I agree that there are many, many things going against this show it does have a few things going for it:

1.) there is no writing to be done outside converting books to scripts; the giant story beats and cool shit is all written
2.) Jordan spent a FUCK TON of time in each book describing things in infinite fucking detail; that is conveyed much more easily through this medium allowing them to focus on the pacing and which stuff to delete/condense etc.
3.) It is relatively easy to follow the story and plot twists as compared to a GoT which was highly political with a ton of double crosses. In WoT most of the baddies are bad and the goodies are good with not much grey.

Again, this will probably suck but it could succeed given the proper showrunners. Fuck, the GoT guys may have been perfect for this since they were awesome until they ran out of books.

• 1Like

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
2.) Jordan spent a FUCK TON of time in each book describing things in infinite fucking detail; that is conveyed much more easily through this medium allowing them to focus on the pacing and which stuff to delete/condense etc.

This is why it wont suck IMO. He has handed you a script with no interpretation. AND unlike GOT it's finished. If you can get past the clear woke BS I think it will be fine.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
While I agree that there are many, many things going against this show it does have a few things going for it:

1.) there is no writing to be done outside converting books to scripts; the giant story beats and cool shit is all written
3.) It is relatively easy to follow the story and plot twists as compared to a GoT which was highly political with a ton of double crosses. In WoT most of the baddies are bad and the goodies are good with not much grey.

Again, this will probably suck but it could succeed given the proper showrunners. Fuck, the GoT guys may have been perfect for this since they were awesome until they ran out of books.
Right but there are examples out there of terrible shit that had complete books. Sword of Truth, Shannara Chronicles, Witcher, Hobbit movies, probably some others I am forgetting cause they’re all so bad. Don’t get me wrong, I’ll still watch episode 1 of WoT, I just stopped getting my hopes up about good fantasy series a long time ago. GoT was a great surprise, I went in expecting it to suck.

Edit: That goes for your statement too Brahma Brahma !

• 3Like
  • 1Garbage
Reactions: 3 users

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
This is why it wont suck IMO. He has handed you a script with no interpretation. AND unlike GOT it's finished. If you can get past the clear woke BS I think it will be fine.

Honestly, there is a ton of 'woke' already built into the world. Women are clearly the most powerful gender and when an uppity man gets a taste of power they chain him up and geld him. Then it just becomes about sticking to the damn story. I am sure that they will change the dynamic of Rand and the three women because there is no way they will let that happen.

• 3Like

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
Right but there are examples out there of terrible shit that had complete books. Sword of Truth, Shannara Chronicles, Witcher, Hobbit movies, probably some others I am forgetting cause they’re all so bad. Don’t get me wrong, I’ll still watch episode 1 of WoT, I just stopped getting my hopes up about good fantasy series a long time ago. GoT was a great surprise, I went in expecting it to suck.

The previous pilot for WoT was really bad. Like Furry denying negative numbers bad.

• 2Garbage
  • 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
I think the bigger issue is that Amazon desperately wants a giant, streaming hit and they have touched a little on it with stuff like Invincible, Marvelous Mrs Maisel, Transparent, The Boys, etc but they have nothing on the level of Game of Thrones, Stranger Things, Tiger King, Bridgerton, Walking Dead, Mandalorian, etc.

I don't think Lord of the Rings or Wheel of Time will hit that mark, after Game of Thrones and Witcher its gonna be something new and different - Cyberpunk or something like that imo - not fantasy or 80s kids horror. It'll be fascinating to see what exactly Amazon does with how these shows are received, since they'll know exactly how many people watch, how long, how many people subbed, etc.

The previous WoT pilot with Billy Zane was only done at the last minute for a tiny budget so the rights holders could keep the rights. They had to get something on TV within 7 years or they would have lost the rights. It went into court after that since the widow of Jordan basically argued it was a bad faith attempt to retain the rights, I think she won.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I think the bigger issue is that Amazon desperately wants a giant, streaming hit and they have touched a little on it with stuff like Invincible, Marvelous Mrs Maisel, Transparent, The Boys, etc but they have nothing on the level of Game of Thrones, Stranger Things, Tiger King, Bridgerton, Walking Dead, Mandalorian, etc.

I don't think Lord of the Rings or Wheel of Time will hit that mark, after Game of Thrones and Witcher its gonna be something new and different - Cyberpunk or something like that imo - not fantasy or 80s kids horror. It'll be fascinating to see what exactly Amazon does with how these shows are received, since they'll know exactly how many people watch, how long, how many people subbed, etc.

The previous WoT pilot with Billy Zane was only done at the last minute for a tiny budget so the rights holders could keep the rights. They had to get something on TV within 7 years or they would have lost the rights. It went into court after that since the widow of Jordan basically argued it was a bad faith attempt to retain the rights, I think she won.
I think another well done fantasy series could be a hit. People still love GoT AND LotR. Look at super hero movies. People just keep gobbling those up after what like 50+ of them? It can be done I think but the track record is so bad I can’t help but think they will fail. Super hero movies kind of hit their stride and figured out what works, the humor, etc. the later movies are far above the early ones in quality. No one has really been able to nail what works in a fantasy setting beyond those two outliers.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm

While seasons 1 to 4 of GoT stand far above all the rest (even if they are practically ruined by season 8), I liked both Legend of the Seeker (2008) and Merlin (2008 from BBC).

Honorable mention: Camelot (Eva Green's glorious tits (NSFW, obviously) add some bonus points)

• 2Like

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The only hope for this show would be to get to the point where we see Graendel in that transparent gown, and the casting of someone with a fantastic body. Actually, add Lanfear and Aviendha to the list of nudes as well.

• 1Like

Gutterflesh

Parody Account
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Honestly, there is a ton of 'woke' already built into the world. Women are clearly the most powerful gender and when an uppity man gets a taste of power they chain him up and geld him. Then it just becomes about sticking to the damn story. I am sure that they will change the dynamic of Rand and the three women because there is no way they will let that happen.
I can get past the casting but I’m fairly certain they won’t be able to contain themselves and will end up changing fundamental parts of the story as tribute to their woke gods.

Gonna say pass for now.

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
In the hands of good writers and such, WoT could be that series. The books have a lot of cool stuff, if they tone down the garbage and bloat. Multiple seasons for the first book is not a good sign, though.

• 1Garbage

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X

Come on man. Sword of Truth? You pulling out Sword of Truth on us?! I had forgot about that shit. That's the bad fantasy (see race) card right there!

Witcher was Ok/Good.

GOT was pure sweetness for four seasons.

Carnival Row was OK.

But ya. For every 10 bad shows, you might get one.

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users