Wheel of Time

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
i know nothing of the series and trailer didn't do shit for me.

As far as Wheel of Time goes, I only read the first book in the series, back in 1999. Lost interest about two-thirds of the way through.

At the time I liked pretty much everything, was a super-excitable teenager. So for me to start something and lose interest was unusual. I even liked "bad" stuff back then (as opposed to now when I'm old, beat up physically and mentally, and can't even get excited about good stuff).

That said, I REALLY liked the characters and the world. Like a LOT. The problem is it was just too verbose for me. It used way too many words to get its point across. I was used to reading LOTR and the Prydain Chronicles so I loved things like this, but only when they were, I don't know, somewhat succinct?

All of that said, I remember the two-thirds of Book 1 very well, and this trailer doesn't feel like it in any way grasps the point. It's like the trailer is for some completely different story. Rand looks like a minor side-character?

Speaking of the Prydain Chronicles... I wish THAT would get some sort of film or show adaptation. LOTR-like series of five books that is compulsively easy to read (probably about 1200-1500 pages altogether at the most) and tells a great story steeped in Hibernian / Irish mythology. Each book has a world map at the beginning that highlights all of the locations of importance in that particular book, so you have an idea of what you're in for right from the get-go. The series also takes place over a few years, during which you see the hero grow up (he goes from being an early teenager to a late teenager), learn how to be a warrior, then learn how to lead by necessity. It's tremendous, the villains are tremendous, the creatures are tremendous (most notably the Nazgul-like Cauldron Born which are basically unkillable liches). To my knowledge the only one of the five books that ever got any sort of non-book adaptation was Book 2, The Black Cauldron, which got a stand-alone animated movie.

Yeah, if you haven't, track down the Prydain Chronicles and give it a whirl. The Book of Three, The Black Cauldron, The Castle of Lyr, Taran Wanderer, and The High King are the books. Can get them all-in-one too I believe.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
As far as Wheel of Time goes, I only read the first book in the series, back in 1999. Lost interest about two-thirds of the way through.

At the time I liked pretty much everything, was a super-excitable teenager. So for me to start something and lose interest was unusual. I even liked "bad" stuff back then (as opposed to now when I'm old, beat up physically and mentally, and can't even get excited about good stuff).

That said, I REALLY liked the characters and the world. Like a LOT. The problem is it was just too verbose for me. It used way too many words to get its point across. I was used to reading LOTR and the Prydain Chronicles so I loved things like this, but only when they were, I don't know, somewhat succinct?

All of that said, I remember the two-thirds of Book 1 very well, and this trailer doesn't feel like it in any way grasps the point. It's like the trailer is for some completely different story. Rand looks like a minor side-character?

Speaking of the Prydain Chronicles... I wish THAT would get some sort of film or show adaptation. LOTR-like series of five books that is compulsively easy to read (probably about 1200-1500 pages altogether at the most) and tells a great story steeped in Hibernian / Irish mythology. Each book has a world map at the beginning that highlights all of the locations of importance in that particular book, so you have an idea of what you're in for right from the get-go. The series also takes place over a few years, during which you see the hero grow up (he goes from being an early teenager to a late teenager), learn how to be a warrior, then learn how to lead by necessity. It's tremendous, the villains are tremendous, the creatures are tremendous (most notably the Nazgul-like Cauldron Born which are basically unkillable liches). To my knowledge the only one of the five books that ever got any sort of non-book adaptation was Book 2, The Black Cauldron, which got a stand-alone animated movie.

Yeah, if you haven't, track down the Prydain Chronicles and give it a whirl. The Book of Three, The Black Cauldron, The Castle of Lyr, Taran Wanderer, and The High King are the books. Can get them all-in-one too I believe.
Rand kind of was a side character in the first book. Or I should say one of like eight main characters in the first book, it was more about the entire group. You didn’t really know who the dragon was although you could figure it out since he’s so different from everyone.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Rand kind of was a side character in the first book. Or I should say one of like eight main characters in the first book, it was more about the entire group. You didn’t really know who the dragon was although you could figure it out since he’s so different from everyone.

I look forward to when the show reveals that the dragon is someone besides Rand. Someone...Diverse. "The kids will love it!" screeches Jordan's wife in some boardroom. Good luck with the show, everybody.

Faux

Lord Nagafen Raider
No-one went mad right away - after Lews Therins' final strike where they sealed the Bore, the Dark One tainted Saidin. All the dudes started to slowly go crazy afterwards.

Overall this wasn't that bad - it's no game of thrones, but it's not legend of the seeker either. Second and third episodes followed the book a lot more closely than I expected given ep1.

Thom is good. Lan.. is not. He's ok when not talking, but his history of Shadar Logoth was just awful.

This is more of a pedantic point, but I remember reading that a bunch went instantly mad. Not really important, but I was pretty sure something like that happened. Here is a clip from the WOT wiki.

The Breaking began the day of the Strike on Shayol Ghul, when Lews Therin Telamon and his Hundred Companions along with a legion of soldiers attacked Shayol Ghul in an effort to seal the Bore into the Dark Ones' prison. They succeeded, but in the last moment the Dark One managed to taint saidin and sixty-eight companions along with Lews Therin went instantly mad.

Aazrael

Silver Baronet of the Realm
7 minutes in. Working today so will watch in short spurts off and on.

The intro pissed me off.

“Men alone tried to do whatever and they alone broke the world” Uhm, women were just as involved in the events that led to the taint.

“The dragon has been reborn and we don’t know if it’s a boy or a girl” Ok moraine, maybe if you haven’t read a single prophecy. You know, the prophecies you’ve studied your whole life.

“There’s rumors of four Ta’veren in the Two Rivers” No there isn’t, fuck off.

I also don’t remember there being skyscrapers all over the place or the becoming a woman ceremony involving attempting to drown the women.

All this trash in 7 minutes. Record time on shitting all over source.

Oh and I laughed at Rands poofy cashmere sweater.
Now I have not watched it but the "men alone" part is true isn't it if they mean getting the source tainted. The 100 companions were all men and tried to reseal DO. But if they lump it in with making the Bore then yea it's not how it was in the books.

But I don't care really. The books are dear to me and they will stay my only source of this story.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Now I have not watched it but the "men alone" part is true isn't it if they mean getting the source tainted. The 100 companions were all men and tried to reseal DO. But if they lump it in with making the Bore then yea it's not how it was in the books.
Yeah, I meant the actual boring that led to releasing the dark one which was the fuckup. That was an equal endeavor by men and women. The 100 companions of men tried to fix the fuckup and they did by resealing him. His counter attack tainted it, not the men.

• 1Like

Arative

Vyemm Raider
Was it? Its been a long time since I read the books. How did it happen? I only remember a coalition of men and women opening a bore to the True Power, not really knowing about the Dark One, and then all those men being instantly struck mad. Was Lews Therin part of that or did he lead the group to seal the Bore?
It was Lews who led the 100 companions to reseal the bore but it was men only, no women and that's why the male half in tainted. I can forgive the opening part as an unreliable narrator. Jordan had a lot of that in his book, where people believe their right about things because reasons

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
It was Lews who led the 100 companions to reseal the bore but it was men only, no women and that's why the male half in tainted. I can forgive the opening part as an unreliable narrator. Jordan had a lot of that in his book, where people believe their right about things because reasons
Some of that did happen, where someone didn’t know the story correctly, but this narrator was Moiraine herself. She knew it didn’t go down like that. She also knew the Dragon wasn’t possibly a female.

Sterling

El Presidente
Them skipping Baerlon before Shadar Logoth is passing over a huge chunk of stuff. Also how and where they meet Thom also skips over a lot of stuff. Egwene just being one of them immediately instead of finding out they were leaving in the night is another one, although I guess you have to have that one since they're pushing the 4 ta'veren thing. Pretty sure Liandrin wasn't leading the sisters that captured Logain either.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
I think I'm going to stick with my fond memories of the books and not watch a single second of this abortion.

• 6Solidarity
  • 3Like
Reactions: 8 users

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Episode 1 was really jarring because you have certain expectations of the story that are just flat out wrong or not at all how it was written/how I imagined it. If you can get past that, which admittedly is going to be hard to do for a lot of book readers, episode 2 is better and like others have said pulls more accurately from the books in a lot of ways.

Regarding CGI yeah some of the stuff is pretty bad and obvious, Trollocs look good but Trollocs dying look like CGI from 2005. Orcs dying/getting massacred in Lord of the Rings looked better than this. Also Mashadar is laughably stupid, like a childs first CGI project, and I was triggered that it was not at all how I expected it based on how it was written (black creep on the ground vs white fog in the books).

• 1Like

Slyminxy

Lord Nagafen Raider
Jesus, when you meet discrepancies between the books and the series in the first 10 minutes, you know this is going to be another Legends of the Seeker.

Heather should just pull the plug on this. We're better off without the series than having it go the way others have before it.

Arative

Vyemm Raider
I'm about 15 minutes into the first episode. Casting seems way off and two rivers is not how I remember it in the books.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I'm about 15 minutes into the first episode. Casting seems way off and two rivers is not how I remember it in the books.
Yeah they completely failed on the vibe of two rivers. It wasn’t full of deadbeat dads, troubled marriages, teen sex, and thieving. It was a wholesome farm village.

• 3Worf
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
How is it for people who never read the books?
Probably mediocre. The costumes look meh, the women have tons of makeup caked on and it’s obvious looking (You’re in 4K now, do better) and some of the effects were not good. The scene with moiraine throwing bricks was really bad. Go in expecting a made for Syfy series. You wouldn’t know about all the story butchering though, so that would help. I can’t imagine book readers liking this. The only scene I liked was Tam pulling out the heron blade and fighting the trolloc.

• 1Like

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Was it? Its been a long time since I read the books. How did it happen? I only remember a coalition of men and women opening a bore to the True Power, not really knowing about the Dark One, and then all those men being instantly struck mad. Was Lews Therin part of that or did he lead the group to seal the Bore?

It was a bunch of researchers, including Lanfear who opened the Bore. But, can't blame Lews's psycho power hungry ex, gotta word the narration to make it sound like men and their "arrogance" were directly and solely responsible for the Breaking and the taint. "Thought they could cage darkness"...motherfucker, they did cage it. Was a band-aid, but it lasted for thousands of years. Women should be glad it was only men that sealed it, too, otherwise saidar could have been tainted as well. Ungrateful bitches.

Can't wait to watch the further adventures of Bland "Runs-From-Barmaids" Al'thor, Nynaeve "Solos Trollocs" Al'Meara, and Lose Perrin Wifeslayer.

• 5Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 6 users

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Then I would advise you to stay away from reddit, to remain secure in your imagining.

I did too, until he lost against a single Trolloc. Too bad Nynaeve wasn't there.

This is the side of Raes I can get behind.

seth meyers GIF

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Then I would advise you to stay away from reddit, to remain secure in your imagining.
Does Reddit like it? I don’t go there, it has more retards per capita than foh.

• 1Like