Whiskey

Rune_sl

shitlord
With the caveat that I only started drinking over the last few years, I stick to the Kirkland brand Costco bourbon and scotch. When I'm in a state that doesn't offer those heavenly steals, I prefer to stick to blends like Jameson or J&B. It's not as good as the costco kentucky bourbon, but I've tried my brother's favored bourbon Bulleit in both the regular and rye, and it's starting to grow on me. In my experience, Bushmills is what my Dad always had lying around, doesn't seem to be any better than those despite the higher cost. Blends aren't as fancy but seem to help maintain a more consistent product at a cheaper price.

Noah's Mill was some of the worst bourbon I have ever tried. It tasted like a cleaning product, with an aftertaste reminiscent of methanol.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
It's fucking crazy to me that you guys are recommending Canadian club and rebel yell*. Drink what you like, but Jesus.

*rebel yell isn't horrible, but there's much, much better out there. I also can't think of a $40+ bourbon that it would hold a candle to, and I've had nearly all of them.
I mean it's all personal preference but I think Rebel Yell is pretty decent. I'm more of a scotch drinker though so usually when I drink bourbon it's in an old fashioned or manhattan.

Tea_sl

shitlord
That's even worse! Those drinks are all about the bourbon and Rebel Yell is so much emptiness. If you like wheated bourbon then do yourself a favor and grab some W.L. Weller. It's like $23 a handle, so it's cheap and it's so much better than rebel yell. 1792 is my mixing bourbon of choice though.

Bourbon history:
W.L. Weller and Rebel Yell actually were in the same family of bourbons made by the legendary Pappy Van Winkle. When the S-W distillery closed. Rebel Yell (and Old fitzgerald) was purchased by Heaven Hill and W.L. Weller was purchased by Buffalo Trace.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
That's even worse! Those drinks are all about the bourbon and Rebel Yell is so much emptiness. If you like wheated bourbon then do yourself a favor and grab some W.L. Weller. It's like $23 a handle, so it's cheap and it's so much better than rebel yell. 1792 is my mixing bourbon of choice though.

Bourbon history:
W.L. Weller and Rebel Yell actually were in the same family of bourbons made by the legendary Pappy Van Winkle. When the S-W distillery closed. Rebel Yell (and Old fitzgerald) was purchased by Heaven Hill and W.L. Weller was purchased by Buffalo Trace.
Oh, I don't get Manhattans and Old Fashioned's with Rebel Yell. I use the mainstay, Maker's Mark.

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Had a good day.

rrr_img_48846.jpg

Rope

Silver Knight of the Realm
Maybe I drink the cheap stuff but I am pretty sure all whiskey tastes/smells like wet dog. Can those of you that like the taste of whiskey explain the appeal?

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Pappy hasn't even been released in Illinois yet and I'm pretty sure every liquor store in Chicago has already allocated their lot to their friends... that shit never even makes the shelf, it's kind of retarded.

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Pappy hasn't even been released in Illinois yet and I'm pretty sure every liquor store in Chicago has already allocated their lot to their friends... that shit never even makes the shelf, it's kind of retarded.
The allocations compared to the demand is insane. Especially with the secondary market with bottles going at 2x to 3x retail. It has to suck for most retailers. The dfw metroplex got a massive 120 bottles of the four roses 125th when it got released. It's impossible to allocate that.

The pappy demand is off the charts, the store I got the bottle of weller from had some 400 odd people on the pappy list and 5 for the bottles in the antique collection.

I look forward to blind tasting the rip next to weller antique. I'll probably like the rip better but not $20 better.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
yeah, I am not willing to pay secondary market price for something that I may not even like. Just need to find a friend who manages to get a bottle at retail and will share.

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
yeah, I am not willing to pay secondary market price for something that I may not even like. Just need to find a friend who manages to get a bottle at retail and will share.
I wouldn't recommend anyone pay secondary market prices, as its existence makes it even harder to find it at retail. I'd say living in Chicago your best bet would be to try some at a nice bar or restraunt. Although that can swing wildly. One bar offers George T Stagg at $15 a pour and another its $40 (fuck that)

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Maybe I drink the cheap stuff but I am pretty sure all whiskey tastes/smells like wet dog. Can those of you that like the taste of whiskey explain the appeal?
I can see the wet dog thing if you're talking about Scotch, although most people call it "peatiness". You might try bourbon or rye or something. Like most types of alcohol though, it's an acquired taste. If you want to learn try mixing it with Sprite or something and then gradually increasing the whisky/soda ratio.

Tea_sl

shitlord
I wouldn't recommend anyone pay secondary market prices, as its existence makes it even harder to find it at retail. I'd say living in Chicago your best bet would be to try some at a nice bar or restraunt. Although that can swing wildly. One bar offers George T Stagg at $15 a pour and another its $40 (fuck that)
You fucks need to cut this shit out. Plentiful access to amazing bourbon is half the reason to live here and each year it gets a little harder.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I can see the wet dog thing if you're talking about Scotch, although most people call it "peatiness". You might try bourbon or rye or something. Like most types of alcohol though, it's an acquired taste. If you want to learn try mixing it with Sprite or something and then gradually increasing the whisky/soda ratio.
When I first started drinking whiskey, I pretty regularly did it on the rocks, and sometimes even with an extra splash of water depending on how harsh or smooth it was.

Super cold + a little watered down and just about any whiskey becomes pretty smooth. It's definitely an acquired taste, drinking straight whiskey/bourbon/scotch. It's something you have to work at a little bit. I kind of compare it to how you try a sip of your dads beer as a kid and it's the worst thing ever, and even when you first start drinking beer you may not like or tolerate much besides the blandest of beers (bud light, natty light, etc, all the crap that is popular with college kids) but over the years if you really start to enjoy beer, you'll look for more flavorful and interesting offers.

Start slow and easy with the whiskey, you'll come around to it eventually and start to be able to notice subtle differences, they won't just all taste like burning & pain, lol.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I still don't enjoy most beers
frown.png
But I do like a good whiskey. Shame my wallet doesn't. I'll be honest though, as long as it's a whiskey, I don't really care. Are people that specific that they can tell the difference between a whiskey made from a 51% corn/grain mash and something made from rye?

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Are people that specific that they can tell the difference between a whiskey made from a 51% corn/grain mash and something made from rye?
Yup. Last weekend did a fun tasting with friends - we all brought whatever we had that was whiskey-ish, tried a little bit of all of it. Scotch, Rye, Bourbon, and blended. Each were represented, and, in a blind taste test, I (and my friends) could tell what each was. That's not to brag, and it's not any kind of commentary on your question. I just find the flavours quite distinct, and I know which I prefer.

Some things I have noticed: corn mash drinks tend to be both more "harsh" (for lack of a better word) in their initial taste, and more pleasing with their finish. Rye tends to be smooth all the way from start to finish, possibly making it the weakest link, even though I like it. Good Scotch needs to have an edge in the initial presentation, and smooth out in the finish.