Whiskey

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I still don't enjoy most beers
frown.png
But I do like a good whiskey. Shame my wallet doesn't. I'll be honest though, as long as it's a whiskey, I don't really care. Are people that specific that they can tell the difference between a whiskey made from a 51% corn/grain mash and something made from rye?
There is a lot of good whiskey and bourbon for under $30 a bottle. Bulleit is a good one... Buffalo Trace... Woodford Reserve if you can get it on sale can be found for under $30. For scotch, Glenmorangie is decent at $30. Trader Joe's just started selling liquor and I know that they have a scotch variety for under $20 that is supposed to be good for the price.

Unless $30 is still too rich for you, then I'm not sure where to tell you to start.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I 100% realize I'm being a cheapass, but I compare the prices versus what I usually drink(rum or gin) and I can a lot more resulting drink(cocktails) from those than I can with whiskey. Not a fair comparison, but whatever.

Very surprised to read someone recommending Trader Joes to save money.

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You fucks need to cut this shit out. Plentiful access to amazing bourbon is half the reason to live here and each year it gets a little harder.
If it makes you feel better, our access is still crap. Talked to a liqour store today that has 2 bottles of stagg and one of lot b which people haven't picked up yet. If they don't get them tonight they become mine tomorrow.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I 100% realize I'm being a cheapass, but I compare the prices versus what I usually drink(rum or gin) and I can a lot more resulting drink(cocktails) from those than I can with whiskey. Not a fair comparison, but whatever.

Trader Joe's is not expensive if you buy the right stuff. Same as Whole Foods. Really you could say this about any grocery store (except maybe Aldi, which Trader Joe's owns!)

TJs pioneered cheap wine so it makes sense they would have cheap liquor.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I still don't enjoy most beers
frown.png
But I do like a good whiskey. Shame my wallet doesn't. I'll be honest though, as long as it's a whiskey, I don't really care. Are people that specific that they can tell the difference between a whiskey made from a 51% corn/grain mash and something made from rye?
I have mostly been a scotch drinker up until this point. My favorite for the cost is Cardhu 12. I also have some bourbon like Buffalo Trace. Well the bourbon just never really grabbed me much. So in the last week or so I tried 2 different rye whiskies. The first was Bulleit bourbon and I thought it was extremely smooth and very good. My favorite bourbon so far hands down. It tasted very different and far better than Buffalo Trace in my opinion. The next was Templeton Rye since I was in Iowa again. I liked it also as it was fairly smooth after the initial rough taste. I preferred the Bulleit though.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Somebody might correct me on this, but while Bulleit Bourbon is made with rye, it's not considered "rye whiskey". Bulleit actually makes a rye which is another product.

bulleit.jpg

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Bulleit bourbon is a high rye whiskey. I think it has 28% rye in the mashbill, for it to be rye it needs 51% rye.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
And then Canadian whisky is also referred to as "rye" even if it has little or no rye in it. This stuff is confusing as hell.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Trader Joe's is not expensive if you buy the right stuff. Same as Whole Foods. Really you could say this about any grocery store (except maybe Aldi, which Trader Joe's owns!)

TJs pioneered cheap wine so it makes sense they would have cheap liquor.
Not the same as Whole Foods. There is nothing that is inexpensive by comparison at Whole Foods. That place is just a trap for people who want to feel virtuous and are willing to spend a lot of money.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I probably only shop at Whole Foods once every couple months, but many of the 365 brand stuff is cheaper than name brand counterparts at any other grocery store.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider

The main benefit to drinking straight whiskey/scotch as opposed to making coctails out of rum or gin is getting the same amount of alcohol into your system without all those extra calories & fluid from mixers(coke, tonic, whatever)

12 oz of whiskey drank slowly over the period of a few hours(a few oz at a time) ends up giving me the same buzz as half a dozen rum & cokes, and it's a lot less calories & liquid that makes me feel bloated. That being said, I do fucking love Rum & Coke, that's my go-to cocktail.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
I bar-tended for a year, and tried many whiskeys. My whiskey palate must not be as fine, because I still prefer Jim Beam. Let the hazing commence.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Beam is probably my least favorite whiskey. For the same price point Evan Williams just destroys it for taste.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Yeah I can't get on board with that either. Not a fan of Jim Beam.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Black Velvet? Jameson? I may hunt down that Bulleit. Should I get Frontier or American?

xKALECx

Golden Knight of the Realm
For sub-$30 bourbon, there are only 2 choices in my opinion. WL Weller 12yr and Elmer T Lee. Van Winkle (what many consider the creme de la creme of bourbon) actually derives from Weller and both of their 12 year offerings have a VERY similar presentation. Only difference is one costs $25.00 and the other over $100. Elmer Lee is practically the same bourbon as Blanton's at $30 less. Both are EXCELLENT bourbons. That being said, avoid the other Weller's at all cost. They are trash.

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
For sub-$30 bourbon, there are only 2 choices in my opinion. WL Weller 12yr and Elmer T Lee. Van Winkle (what many consider the creme de la creme of bourbon) actually derives from Weller and both of their 12 year offerings have a VERY similar presentation. Only difference is one costs $25.00 and the other over $100. Elmer Lee is practically the same bourbon as Blanton's at $30 less. Both are EXCELLENT bourbons. That being said, avoid the other Weller's at all cost. They are trash.
I bought bottle of antique after enjoying the weller 12 so much. Really not caring for it all, going to blend it for some 12 year (as recommend by straightbourbon) otherwise it is getting drowned in ginger beer.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
The ABC stores here don't even do lists or whatever, no reservations or special requests, so I have no idea how to even go about getting a bottle of the Old Rip. It will probably just never happen. They did a tasting on Alton Brown's podcast a few weeks ago and ranked the James Pepper 1776 15 year above the Old Rip 12 year that they had, but that shit is 115 per bottle. Ranked the Weller above the Old Rip as well.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
I've been drinking whisky exclusively for a few years now, and in that time have tried several dozen, including some in Scotland. Imo, taking into consideration "bang for your buck", nothing tops a bottle of Macallans. 10 year is fine if that's all you can afford, but having a bottle of 18 Cask Strength on hand is a nice treat. It's 62.5%, so you really need a couple cubes of ice to enjoy all the flavors. Then it's just a magical experience knowing/learning/enjoying the distinct flavors that take shape as the ice melts. So smooth. Never did I imagine I would be someone that would drink straight liquor, but I tried some whiskey a few years ago, didn't throw up, and have been obsessed ever since. In 2012 I spent at least $1,000 on whiskey, not an insane amount, but enough to get a decent idea, and still can't seem to beat Macallans. Obviously I've had better, but not for the price. Total Wine or BevMo often has it for sale.

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The ABC stores here don't even do lists or whatever, no reservations or special requests, so I have no idea how to even go about getting a bottle of the Old Rip. It will probably just never happen. They did a tasting on Alton Brown's podcast a few weeks ago and ranked the James Pepper 1776 15 year above the Old Rip 12 year that they had, but that shit is 115 per bottle. Ranked the Weller above the Old Rip as well.
I actually think you have a bit of an advantage in a state controlled area. PA just put it all up online for orders. What you need to do is talk to store owners find out what their delivery days are and typically when in October/November they get their allotments. They'll know about a week in advance, so show back up, confirm and take that morning off.