Who died? (Celebrity Deaths)

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
The aughts were eh for rock, largely because Gaga and the dance poppers killed it in the mainstream, but there was a fuckton of good metal, especially prog and post. Dream Theater (although they started in the 90s), The Ocean, Cynic, Dillinger, Russian Circles, Mastodon, Cult of Luna, Pelican, I could go on.
she did kill what was left of rock, but she gave it plenty of times in the aughts for other stuff. i think her first hit single was in 2007? she was done by 2012 or rather i lost interest in her stuff.
iu

article-0-207A4CDC00000578-763_634x994.jpg
870f27d185b80239038693b2e4c6be92.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

I just think Boomers are more nostalgic about the 1960s and 1970s than Gen X and the older Millennials are about the 2000s. That's it. Boomers loved The Wonder Years. It opens up with Joe Cocker doing his version of With a Little Help From My Friends which he also performed at Woodstock. We set our Woodstock on fire. We took everything and made a big pile and lit it on fire. I don't even think you could do a reboot in a manner as earnest as the original without it immediately coming off as sarcastic or some kind of parody.

The new Wonder Years that's got an all black cast decided to set itself in the 1960s.

The prime demographic for those types of shows are people who were kids or teenagers during a specific time period. They usually come out 2-3 decades after the era in question, just in time for the nostalgic target audience in question to be at their prime economic buying power (which advertisers love).

I guarantee you that you'll probably see a lot more "early 2000s" stuff in the next decade. The 80s stuff has started to move to 90s stuff in terms of nostalgia bait.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
"Yellowjackets" was dripping with 90's late GenX nostalgia which I was totally there for. I've probably listened to "Lightning Crashes" by Live 100 times since I heard it in that show even though I barely paid attention to it when it actually came out.

Fucker

Log Wizard
thats true, but for whatever reason 2008-2010 or there abouts was an incredible time for music. Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Lady Antebellum, Beyonce, Princess Taytay and Miley Cyrus all were killing it. before and after that they were trash, but at that moment they had achieved their best.
That's because nearly all of them were buying their songs from the same guy during that period.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fucker

Log Wizard
I've made a handful of posts about it, but I'm really starting to believe the Telecommunications Act in 1996 is why we're so nostalgic. Because it allowed all the media companies to consolidate, it got rid of all of the risk and made everything the same. New music sucks because the record and radio stations became mega corps. Hollywood did the same.

And you can really point to everything that came after that as lesser.
Perhaps. The biggest difference then and now is people used to need some talent to go mainstream. Now? Buy songs from some guy, mumble into a microphone and a computer fixes it. Listen to just about any of these women, and they are doing nothing more than whisper singing into a mic. Anyone can whisper sing, and that's why they all sound alike. There's nothing there to work with and no way to make them sound unique.

• 1Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
i know liking those chick bands makes my man card null and void. frankly i dont care. Lady Gaga's first album and those other broads first albums were pretty tight. they are all shitty now. cant believe how pathetic Gaga got, Adebisi doesnt even mention her anymore and i dont blame him.
It misses the point I was trying to make. Post mid-90's, music became homogenized. Pretty much all of your examples, and basically all commercially successful music, is just lots of 4 chord progressions. Lately a lot of trap beats.

It's boring music. It's catchy, for sure. But it all sounds the same. The record companies realized they could sell something safe and the public eats that shit up because it's familiar.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
It misses the point I was trying to make. Post mid-90's, music became homogenized. Pretty much all of your examples, and basically all commercially successful music, is just lots of 4 chord progressions. Lately a lot of trap beats.

It's boring music. It's catchy, for sure. But it all sounds the same. The record companies realized they could sell something safe and the public eats that shit up because it's familiar.
its sad that record companies are still gatekeeping what people like in this day and age.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Loads of good music around 2003-2008 when I was in High School and University.

Muse, The Killers, Franz Ferdinand, Kasabian, Kaiser Chiefs and more, there was a big "Indie" scene in the UK around that time.

After that yeah Lady Gaga was huge.

The problem is that most of the acts had no longevity. Killers and Franz Ferdinand were huge then had weird offputting second albums.

Lady Gaga had an amazing album 1 and 1.5, 2nd was mixed and then she dropped the act. Turns out that Stephanie Germanotta is a bit boring and likes to sing Frank Sinatra songs and have gay people fawn over her.

Right around this time iTunes was happening and it hit ciritcal mass and destroyed the unity of the music industry after the 00s. I'd say that it was the 10s that had almost good music everyone listened to at all.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member

Muse, The Killers, Franz Ferdinand, Kasabian, Kaiser Chiefs and more, there was a big "Indie" scene in the UK around that time.

The problem is that most of the acts had no longevity. Killers and Franz Ferdinand were huge then had weird offputting second albums.

Lady Gaga had an amazing album 1 and 1.5, 2nd was mixed and then she dropped the act. Turns out that Stephanie Germanotta is a bit boring and likes to sing Frank Sinatra songs and have gay people fawn over her.

Right around this time iTunes was happening and it hit ciritcal mass and destroyed the unity of the music industry after the 00s. I'd say that it was the 10s that had almost good music everyone listened to at all.
i think she has an entire album with some old fuck named Tony Bennet. not a fan of his. chick is just weird and her studio albums only sell about half what their previous albums sell. acting better work for her eventually because she's pretty much done now otherwise. chick is 38. she's getting close to the end of her hot girl summer.

• 1Solidarity

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord

Yup, but you have to remember there are some actual boomers on these forums that have forgotten what made 'their' music so special to them. Music you made a personal connection to serves as an anchor to the memories of what you were doing when you made that connection. The older members of the forum were way the fuck too busy working and building lives to have time for that kind of shit. And they were well past the age when hormonal imbalances amplified emotions all the time.

Lots of awesome songs on that list. Lots more that aren't my kind of thing, but there you go.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Yup, but you have to remember there are some actual boomers on these forums that have forgotten what made 'their' music so special to them. Music you made a personal connection to serves as an anchor to the memories of what you were doing when you made that connection. The older members of the forum were way the fuck too busy working and building lives to have time for that kind of shit. And they were well past the age when hormonal imbalances amplified emotions all the time.

Lots of awesome songs on that list. Lots more that aren't my kind of thing, but there you go.
lol, not one of those songs i recognize from the names.

• 1Pathetic

Chris

Potato del Grande
i think she has an entire album with some old fuck named Tony Bennet. not a fan of his. chick is just weird and her studio albums only sell about half what their previous albums sell. acting better work for her eventually because she's pretty much done now otherwise. chick is 38. she's getting close to the end of her hot girl summer.
Yeah that's what I meant, it's so off brand for the character she built it's jarring.

These people don't understand why they are famous and start doing lame boring shit when they are older.

• 1Like

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
lol, not one of those songs i recognize from the names.
Not shocked. You are old, and it takes an effort to actually get into and enjoy new music as you get older. When you are young and hormonal everything is amped up, which makes it easy for whatever garbage is being pumped out on the tv/radio to become part of the soundtrack of your life.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Not shocked. You are old, and it takes an effort to actually get into and enjoy new music as you get older. When you are young and hormonal everything is amped up, which makes it easy for whatever garbage is being pumped out on the tv/radio to become part of the soundtrack of your life.
lol, i was still in my 20s in 2001. how old do you think i am? 2001 i was hardcore metal listening to k-rock all week while i camped/raided/exped stuff in EQ. 2001 was velius. we freed The Sleeper in 2001. our server's 9/11
EQ000072.jpg

• 1Worf

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Her net worth is somewhere between $150M and $320M. If I had that much in the bank I wouldn't give a fuck if my records sold either.