Wii U

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Why the shit haven't they announced the club nintendo rewards yet. This is another reason why Microsoft and Sony are grinding Nintendo into the dirt. They realize their tech is almost identical and that they have to rely on service to differentiate. Their customer interaction and retention models are cro-magnon. Compare the value added to customers of PSN to Club Nintendo and you'll die of laughter.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So I decided to buy the Wii U. After running the math, the difference between buying it at Target and the refurb was like $18. However, when I got there he wouldn't honor the cartwheel 15% because it said "video games" and didn't explicitly mention "consoles." ARGH. Oh well, will pick up MK8 on the $15 off preorder deal and get a refurb. I still have the 10% off coupon which will make the MK8 like $24 a pop with the $15 preorder.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
I finally got a Wii U. It's my first Nintendo system since SNES, so I have some catching up to do. Mario Kart came with the bundle, then I got Wind Waker with the extra game. When I have enough points, I'll probably get Paper Mario for 250 of those Nintendo Club coins, but it says I need some special controller. Will my gamepad not work as the advanced controller?

Probably going to get the Zombie game. Then I guess I'll start working through the other Mario and Zelda titles? Not really sure.

spronk

FPS noob
games that run through the wii virtual console generally won't work with the gamepad, they require a classic controller (a gamepad that hooks up via the motion controller) or a gamecube controller (hooked up via adapters or upcoming super smash bros adapter). it will tell you for each game in the eshop/club nintendo, if you see

Requires the Classic ControllerT or a Nintendo GameCubeT controller (each sold separately).

then it won't work with gamepad, but the good news is the classic controller works with mk8 and old wii/n64 games. the games i'd recommend every wii u owner getting are, in order

mk8
zelda hd
pikmin 3
super mario 3d
donkey kong tropical freeze
super mario u + luigi u (if you arent burned out on smb games)

then wonderful 101, zombie U, lego city undercover, and rayman are probably the second tier of really good games. some of the indie eshop games like shovel knight and guacamelee are also really good

Djay

Trakanon Raider
I have a bad habit of buying games and not finishing what I already have, so I'm going to try not to get any more until I've finished Zelda, but that top list sounds good to me. Not sure about Pikmin, though...I looked it up when I was deciding which free game to get and it didn't really stand out to me.

I might pick up the Galaxy games at some point, too.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
The Mario Galaxy series is excellent. Probably my favorite Mario games.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I have a bad habit of buying games and not finishing what I already have, so I'm going to try not to get any more until I've finished Zelda, but that top list sounds good to me. Not sure about Pikmin, though...I looked it up when I was deciding which free game to get and it didn't really stand out to me.

I might pick up the Galaxy games at some point, too.
Pikmin is actually pretty fun , but short. The day system can be pretty frustrating though

koljec_sl

shitlord
Why the shit haven't they announced the club nintendo rewards yet. This is another reason why Microsoft and Sony are grinding Nintendo into the dirt. They realize their tech is almost identical and that they have to rely on service to differentiate. Their customer interaction and retention models are cro-magnon. Compare the value added to customers of PSN to Club Nintendo and you'll die of laughter.
Elite Status Gifts posted this morning:

Platinum Level Wii U gifts include:
Game and Wario
NES Remix
Earthbound
Dr. Luigi

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 were the tits. I loved them. Even went so far as to get 100% of the stars... Took a long time, but god damn was that game a lot of fun. Frustrating at times, but I loved it.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Elite Status Gifts posted this morning:

Platinum Level Wii U gifts include:
Game and Wario
NES Remix
Earthbound
Dr. Luigi
Fucking Nintendo. It costs hundreds of dollars to get platinum status every year and they give you a digital copy of Earthbound as incentive?

fucking stupids.

spronk

FPS noob
i redeemed for donkey kong returns 3ds, already own the physical game but never played it so gonna trade it into gamestop for $20 and buy a steam card

so thanks nintendo for giving me some extra pc games

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Not really comparable - one costs at least $50 a year and the other is completely free.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Requires the Classic ControllerT or a Nintendo GameCubeT controller (each sold separately).

then it won't work with gamepad, but the good news is the classic controller works with mk8 and old wii/n64 games. the games i'd recommend every wii u owner getting are, in order

mk8
zelda hd
pikmin 3
super mario 3d
donkey kong tropical freeze
super mario u + luigi u (if you arent burned out on smb games)

then wonderful 101, zombie U, lego city undercover, and rayman are probably the second tier of really good games. some of the indie eshop games like shovel knight and guacamelee are also really good
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is another game I've spent at least a hundred hours playing, if you like that sort of game.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
There is nothing free about becoming a club Nintendo elite status member. You have to spend a minimum of $240 annually to achieve gold. Double that for platinum. Then Nintendo rewards you with a $10 digital title from 15 years ago. Sony? $50 a year gets you like 20 current titles over the subscription period.

The value isn't even close to comparable.

koljec_sl

shitlord
Fucking Nintendo. It costs hundreds of dollars to get platinum status every year and they give you a digital copy of Earthbound as incentive?

fucking stupids.
You get redeemable points for the surveys you complete, and now the freebies at the end of the year don't satisfy you?

I've redeemed my points for the original Zelda and Punchout, among other games. Earthbound, or any of the other choices, is just icing on the cake.

It's not like you dropped $240 to get one ancient game -- you got whatever you bought, you got games from redeemed club points, and now you get a platinum or gold freebie.

Needless

Toe Sucker
There is nothing free about becoming a club Nintendo elite status member. You have to spend a minimum of $240 annually to achieve gold. Double that for platinum. Then Nintendo rewards you with a $10 digital title from 15 years ago. Sony? $50 a year gets you like 20 current titles over the subscription period.

The value isn't even close to comparable.
You're also kind of comparing apples to oranges.
One is an incentive to stay subscribed to their online service... the other is a little bonus for supporting nintendo games even though its a pretty shitty bonus.

You lose those 20 titles if you aren't subscribed, while you can keep your shitty $10 15 year old game regardless.

It's not really the same though.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
You're also kind of comparing apples to oranges.
One is an incentive to stay subscribed to their online service... the other is a little bonus for supporting nintendo games even though its a pretty shitty bonus.

You lose those 20 titles if you aren't subscribed, while you can keep your shitty $10 15 year old game regardless.

It's not really the same though.
They are both incentive programs

Quaid

Trump's Staff
You get redeemable points for the surveys you complete, and now the freebies at the end of the year don't satisfy you?

I've redeemed my points for the original Zelda and Punchout, among other games. Earthbound, or any of the other choices, is just icing on the cake.

It's not like you dropped $240 to get one ancient game -- you got whatever you bought, you got games from redeemed club points, and now you get a platinum or gold freebie.
It's not so much about complaining as it is about criticizing their terrible business practices.

There's a lot more going on than weak hardware at Nintendo that keeps them playing second fiddle to Microsoft and Sony, and this is a perfect example.

koljec_sl

shitlord
It's not so much about complaining as it is about criticizing their terrible business practices.

There's a lot more going on than weak hardware at Nintendo that keeps them playing second fiddle to Microsoft and Sony, and this is a perfect example.
When is the last time Sony or MS gave you a free relatively high quality game for buying a "perfect", MK8?

I don't think expectations for Nintendo are reasonable. They are actually pretty generous. Have you ever called their customer service -- they are actually nice and helpful. The games are bug free, many beautiful...I don't want to be a fan boy apologist, but saying their business practices are terrible is exaggeration.