Wii U

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
I disagree with this.

The only games I will wait instead of purchase are a few indie titles. If I really want a game, I will purchase it. You are correct in the fact that there isn't much now, but when The Evil Within Releases, I won't be waiting for it to hit PS Plus in 3 years. I'll be purchasing it immediately. I like the fact that I can play some games on my PS3 and PS4 for free. Strider I have now, and I'll probably get DS3 on PS3 just because I can, but other than that, a strong majority of games that finally come out on PS Plus have been games I have already purchased or played on another platform. I would say most gamers are not that patient.

With that said, Nintendo is far behind the times and always will be. I think a fair assumption for a lot of people is that folks have Nintendo consoles for 1st party games, as evident by the influx in sales when Mario Kart 8 shipped. My Wii U continues to collect dust until a Metroid/Zelda game comes out. I also do not like how they rehash levels with 3DS games and their Wii U counterparts at times when a Wii U version hits.
There are definitely games I will buy when they come out, I'm more talking about buying games I may only be slightly interested in - I'd rather just wait them out. I also don't know if it would take 3 years for them to be in rotation on Plus - a game that released recently (Dragon's Crown) was already available on Plus.

You like the Wii U UI? Do you also like being hung from your back-skin by chains from the ceiling? The shit is awful. Granted, after a period of years they made the quick launch. Great first step. Their eshop layout is a joke. Making purchases is a nightmare. Have you used the Wii U Netflix app for christ's sake? How about the absurdity of their social interaction methods? Streaming support?...
They didn't develop the Netflix App, your complaint should be directed to Netflix.

I don't really use the Miiverse, but it seems pretty well used - honestly I want no social media interactions with my console. I don't want shit posting to Twitter or Facebook.

Nintendo is correct in their reasoning for not including direct streaming support, it would be a waste of development time. Anyone worth watching stream is using dedicated capture cards and other software to make their stream higher quality and with more fan interaction. No one watches the the direct PS4 streams on Twitch - they are low quality and laggy, with zero interaction between streamer and viewer - most of the streams have between zero and 10 people watching them. The direct streams from consoles are just straight up gameplay, and Nintendo doesn't think that is very interesting.

Having the option would be nice I guess but it seems very under utilized on the PS4 as it is now. I would also like a dedicated Twitch app for the Wii U (and PS4 for that matter) but watching through the browser full screen is easy enough for now for both Wii U and PS4.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
There are definitely games I will buy when they come out, I'm more talking about buying games I may only be slightly interested in - I'd rather just wait them out. I also don't know if it would take 3 years for them to be in rotation on Plus - a game that released recently (Dragon's Crown) was already available on Plus.

They didn't develop the Netflix App, your complaint should be directed to Netflix.

I don't really use the Miiverse, but it seems pretty well used - honestly I want no social media interactions with my console. I don't want shit posting to Twitter or Facebook.

Nintendo is correct in their reasoning for not including direct streaming support, it would be a waste of development time. Anyone worth watching stream is using dedicated capture cards and other software to make their stream higher quality and with more fan interaction. No one watches the the direct PS4 streams on Twitch - they are low quality and laggy, with zero interaction between streamer and viewer - most of the streams have between zero and 10 people watching them. The direct streams from consoles are just straight up gameplay, and Nintendo doesn't think that is very interesting.

Having the option would be nice I guess but it seems very under utilized on the PS4 as it is now. I would also like a dedicated Twitch app for the Wii U (and PS4 for that matter) but watching through the browser full screen is easy enough for now for both Wii U and PS4.
Just because Nintendo didn't develop their Netflix app does not mean they are free from blame in the situation. You think McDonnalds would allow their customers to sit on shitty stools in their restaurant? I mean... They didn't manufacture the chairs. Is it their responsibility? They sell burgers, not chairs, after all. Nintendo didn't even bother giving Netflix a prototype Wii U to develop for. Instead, Netflix had to mock up their own using a Samsung tablet. They were given no direction other than 'make it work with a physical home button'.

The company's notions about how people interact with media technology are way out of date. There's really no argument against that fact, and the only way a person wouldn't be able to see it is if, they too, were behind the times in this regard.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
This thread took a giant turn into the crapper since Quaid started his rants

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
They are a small (comparatively) toy company, not a multi-divisional technology behemoth like Sony or Microsoft. Of course they are going to be behind the times when it comes to some stuff - I doubt they even had a networking team/architects to develop something to rival the PSN/Xbox Live until just a few years ago.

Until recently they were focused solely on making the best quality games possible, not delivering a home media experience. Both Sony and MS have a huge jump on them - and I'm not even convinced Nintendo should try to compete with those two. I'd rather Nintendo consoles be a compliment to Xbox/Playstation (or PC), not try to be exactly the same as those consoles. Three consoles who are all exactly the same, with the same games, would be bad for the industry.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
The Netflix leaves a bit to be desired, but the Amazon Prime UI is awesome. They really utilize the gamepad. You can easily scroll through season/episodes and then the IMDB shows up for the episode/movie you're watching. It's fantastic.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Yeah that shit is on Netflix for it being bad, both Amazon Prime app and the Internet Browser are fantastic with the gamepad. Wii U is almost always streaming Twitch streams on my TV when I'm home.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I never used the browser and just assumed it wouldn't support Flash so never went to twitch. I'll have to try that. Plugging my Nexus10 into my TV via HDMI isn't the most high quality picture ever.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
I don't think it supports Flash - but Twitch recognizes it as an HTML5 enabled browser and the streams switch over to that. The chat and videos in Twitch don't work but everything else does - just go to a stream page, click the play button, watch the add, and then hit the full screen button and it will switch to full screen on your TV.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Yeah, it switches to HTML5. I've used the browser to stream sports before. MMA TV works well on it.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
gaf's npd thread says wiiu did ~140k in june.

even with sales doubled ps4 still won the month though.

mk8 did another 480k in sales- should break a million this month- and AS an individual SKU, sold the most- watch dogscame in #1 because it's multi-platform and npd combines all sku's

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
New Fatal Frame Wii U game looks pretty good.... too bad Nintendo has no plans of releasing it in North America.

spronk

FPS noob
reminder: this week you can buy extra copies of MK8 for $46+tax at Target. $60 retail, but pick up a $1 preorder card for a future game and it takes $15 off. Rip the club nintendo inserts out, keep them, and trade in the game into Gamestop for $40 (or give to a friend). Create a sub account thats adult aged off your main club nintendo account for each one you do and redeem the MK8 cn code on each one for a free game from Pikmin 3, Super Mario U, Zelda HD, or Wii U Party. Basically pay $6 for each game but you get most of that back in eShop cash.

You get a eShop download code which you just type into your gamepad logged into your main nintendo network id account, and it installs and loads on your main account no problem. You also get DDP points back since it counts as an eshop purchase, so for example Super Mario U gives you back $5 in eShop cash. You MUST redeem all mk8 club nintendo codes by 7/31, no free game after that.

if you are feeling adventurous you can try to PM to amazon for another $10 discount making the game $36 instead of $46 but its very ymmv if the cashier will allow it. I already maxxed out my redemptions on my own Wii U but picked up 6 more copies yesterday, traded in 3 (paid for it) and donating the rest to local shelters. I've bought 11 copies of mario kart 8...

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Spronk, it might be over, but I heard Walmart was offering 50% trade in? Could you trade in your MK8 copies at Walmart for even more money?

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Nintendo Wii U upcoming releases: Yikes | BGR

I almost picked up a Wii U the other day but I think I'm going to hold off a bit. I owned a WII but never played the damn thing so got rid of it after a year or so of it collecting dust. The Wii U would likely do the same.

Makes me a little sad. I grew up with Nintendo being the dominate force in the gaming world. Sad to see them taking a distant third approach to their system and I realize they have difficulties competing in the high end market now. They have no one to blame but themselves for that though.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Nintendo Wii U upcoming releases: Yikes | BGR

I almost picked up a Wii U the other day but I think I'm going to hold off a bit. I owned a WII but never played the damn thing so got rid of it after a year or so of it collecting dust. The Wii U would likely do the same.

Makes me a little sad. I grew up with Nintendo being the dominate force in the gaming world. Sad to see them taking a distant third approach to their system and I realize they have difficulties competing in the high end market now. They have no one to blame but themselves for that though.
So this is the last Nintendo console then? I doubt the wii U has even sold enough to recoup their development costs. I'm sure man0warr will defend their amazing business acumen.

koljec_sl

shitlord
If you can be happy with 4 to 6 really high quality and fun games a year, I don't see what's wrong with Wii U. Hell, I don't have time to play more than that. In fact, buying Bayonetta, Smash, Hyrule, and the Toad game is going to be a little bit much for one holiday season.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
If you can be happy with 4 to 6 really high quality and fun games a year, I don't see what's wrong with Wii U. Hell, I don't have time to play more than that. In fact, buying Bayonetta, Smash, Hyrule, and the Toad game is going to be a little bit much for one holiday season.
Could say the same thing about either the Xbone or the PS4 and have a lot more games to choose from. Guess that is why the U's sales are in the toilet.

Maybe Nintendo being forced out of the console business and into just making games for other platforms is the better answer.