Wii U

Quaid

Trump's Staff
When is the last time Sony or MS gave you a free relatively high quality game for buying a "perfect", MK8?

I don't think expectations for Nintendo are reasonable. They are actually pretty generous.
Uhhhh they did that because their system is shitting the bed (due in large part to the out-of-date business practices I pointed out above) not because they are 'generous'. They attached value to their first real system-selling piece of software to move units. It was a reactionary move to appease shareholders, not a proactive plan to retain customers.

Also, if I remember correctly, MK8 was $68 rather than the $60 most Nintendo titles launch at.

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
I have been playing NES remix 2 lately and it's pretty fun, will probably pick up the first one for my reward. I just wish there was a little more to some of the challenges. Most are too easy or some games don't have enough (punch out only has 6 easy ones wtf).

Unless of course my wife hijacks it for Dr. Luigi. Bitches love flippin those pills.

koljec_sl

shitlord
Uhhhh they did that because their system is shitting the bed (due in large part to the out-of-date business practices I pointed out above) not because they are 'generous'. They attached value to their first real system-selling piece of software to move units. It was a reactionary move to appease shareholders, not a proactive plan to retain customers.

Also, if I remember correctly, MK8 was $68 rather than the $60 most Nintendo titles launch at.
You don't remember correctly.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist

So free games only count when you want them to. Got it.

spronk

FPS noob
nintendo is like betty in the archie universe. she sucks dick really good and is up for a fuck whenever, but lets face it veronica (ps4) is the one you want to marry

and canada is jughead

Quaid

Trump's Staff
canadian dollars? are you the only angry person in canada?
I'm not really angry as much as I am frustrated. I like nintendo and I'd like them to succeed. It's in my best interest to openly criticique their customer incentive programs, because I think it will make them more money. More money to make more of the great games I love.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If Nintendo had the smarts to make a console on the level of the current generation they would own the entire industry. But alas, Nintendo is going to Nintendo.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
They literally can't make a console equal to the PS4 and XB1 (or whatever the current generation is). They are a toy company, and they have no other divisions backing them up like Sony and Microsoft if they fail.

Their consoles have to break even or sell for profit with 1 game sale, they can't afford to lose hundreds on every console - this has been true for every console they have released. So they set their price point (almost always $250-299 for a Nintendo console) and then they fit the best hardware they can into that budget.

They are already pumping out 60fps 720p/1080p games with this hardware, I'm not sure what people's expectations are. If it's for Nintendo console to be attractive to 3rd parties, that hasn't been the case since the late 90s and it will most likely never be true again. They aren't in a competition with Sony/MS any longer, they are their own thing.

Really their biggest problem right now is how they handle their account system and Digital purchases. It's easy enough to recover digital games by calling Nintendo but they need to make it so games are tied to your Nintendo ID and not the console - they are very slowly changing (it wasn't too long ago when they were using friend codes instead of a true account system).

There is nothing free about becoming a club Nintendo elite status member. You have to spend a minimum of $240 annually to achieve gold. Double that for platinum. Then Nintendo rewards you with a $10 digital title from 15 years ago. Sony? $50 a year gets you like 20 current titles over the subscription period.

The value isn't even close to comparable.
No, it's free. You should have spent that $240 on games because you wanted to play them. Club Nintendo is a loyalty reward program, not a paid subscription service. If you don't like the rewards, then ignore them - the rewards are never that amazing.

Club Nintendo and PS Plus aren't even comparable, they are completely different systems.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Sony sells the PS4 at a small profit or one game scale. What is Nintendo's excuse now? Having a system on par with the PS4 would be a lot more profitable than putting out one of the worst selling consoles ever. Completely faulty logic that they cannot put out a strong system because it would put them out of business. Their price point strategy is killing them right now. Really, Nintendo would be dead if they hadn't lucked into the Wii being inexplicably popular due to a gimmick. That would have been three shit offerings in a row. How is that good business?

Oh and before you make the stupid excuse the wiiu wasn't selling because it doesn't have enough system sellers, the PS4 is breaking every console record with only one elite first party title.

Also, that 60 fps 1080p line is pure bullshit and you know it. Any AAA cross platform title would bring the system to is knees. Nintendo doesn't have to worry about that though since they were smart enough to piss off every publisher.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
They literally can't make a console equal to the PS4 and XB1 (or whatever the current generation is). They are a toy company, and they have no other divisions backing them up like Sony and Microsoft if they fail.

Their consoles have to break even or sell for profit with 1 game sale, they can't afford to lose hundreds on every console - this has been true for every console they have released. So they set their price point (almost always $250-299 for a Nintendo console) and then they fit the best hardware they can into that budget.

They are already pumping out 60fps 720p/1080p games with this hardware, I'm not sure what people's expectations are. If it's for Nintendo console to be attractive to 3rd parties, that hasn't been the case since the late 90s and it will most likely never be true again. They aren't in a competition with Sony/MS any longer, they are their own thing.

Really their biggest problem right now is how they handle their account system and Digital purchases. It's easy enough to recover digital games by calling Nintendo but they need to make it so games are tied to your Nintendo ID and not the console - they are very slowly changing (it wasn't too long ago when they were using friend codes instead of a true account system).

No, it's free. You should have spent that $240 on games because you wanted to play them. Club Nintendo is a loyalty reward program, not a paid subscription service. If you don't like the rewards, then ignore them - the rewards are never that amazing.

Club Nintendo and PS Plus aren't even comparable, they are completely different systems.
They are very comparable. The 'free' downloads are incentives to continue purchasing goods/services from each respective company. One system is modern, tailored to current customer value perceptions. One is dated, and totally out of touch with their customers. Nintendo is plagued by this problem across its entire product offering. From their hardware aesthetics, to naming conventions, to UI design, to digital distribution methods... The list goes on and on.

It's like they have a time traveller from 2004 crafting their strategy (from his blackberry).

spronk

FPS noob
june was a good month for the wii U in the UK this is software sales only not hardware and I believe this doesn't include digital

9ipeSah.png

gibv2QZ.png

and nintendo doesn't give a fuck what anyone thinks, they do their own "japan thing" and either you accept it for what it is or move on, ain't nobody changing them

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Sony sells the PS4 at a small profit or one game scale. What is Nintendo's excuse now? Having a system on par with the PS4 would be a lot more profitable than putting out one of the worst selling consoles ever. Completely faulty logic that they cannot put out a strong system because it would put them out of business. Their price point strategy is killing them right now. Really, Nintendo would be dead if they hadn't lucked into the Wii being inexplicably popular due to a gimmick. That would have been three shit offerings in a row. How is that good business?
The PS4 didn't sell at a profit at launch - it may now with the cost of the hardware having gone down since it launched. It was definitely closer to profitability than the PS3 which some speculated cost them around $900 to make per console when it launched.

Oh and before you make the stupid excuse the wiiu wasn't selling because it doesn't have enough system sellers, the PS4 is breaking every console record with only one elite first party title.
Couple factors at work here:

1) Despite very few good titles on the PS4, they do have one in Destiny that people have been looking forward to that appeals to the biggest audience, the dudebros. I assume you are referencing Infamous Second Son, which really didn't sell that many copies in the grand scheme of things.
2) The illusion of scarcity - if people think something is hard to get, they will grab it the first chance they get (This worked on me, I knew I wanted a PS4 eventually for Destiny and JRPGs from the likes of Square and From Software - and I just happened to hit Amazon at the right time a couple days before Xmas and was able to snag one when they were in stock for about an hour).
3) Microsoft shot itself in the foot before either console released and Sony capitalized with clever PR and Marketing - thus converting a large chunk of Xbros over to the Playstation side.

Neither console is worth owning at this moment but Destiny is very promising. I really just use the PS4 as my Crunchyroll machine at the moment.

As for the Wii U, I'd wait until this months NPD numbers - I think it will have sold a surprising number of consoles. Between Nintendo proving it wasn't dropping support by announcing tons of upcoming games into 2015 at E3, Mario Kart 8, the $200 refurb deal on Nintendo's website, and just a general breaking point of good games now available (seriously it has like 5 games with an 85+ metacritic score). The MK8 Bundles flew off the shelves and just casual checking at Gamestop, Bestbuy, Walmart, etc and anecdotal evidence on forums like Neogaf - it seems to be sold out in a lot of places.

The new Xbox One SKU without Kinect will move a lot of units this past month also

Also, that 60 fps 1080p line is pure bullshit and you know it. Any AAA cross platform title would bring the system to is knees. Nintendo doesn't have to worry about that though since they were smart enough to piss off every publisher.
It's plays their first and second party games at 60fps, and that's really all Nintendo planned for it to do. They build their hardware for the games they want to make, not the other way around. But's its always been that way (example, the only reason Sony made the original PS is because Nintendo rejected their new CD format) and is the major reason 3rd parties don't develop for them any longer. The other reason (at least for EA) is they refuse to build in systems like Origin into their Operating System and now EA is blackballing them on all titles, not just AAA cross platforms.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
They are very comparable. The 'free' downloads are incentives to continue purchasing goods/services from each respective company. One system is modern, tailored to current customer value perceptions. One is dated, and totally out of touch with their customers. Nintendo is plagued by this problem across its entire product offering. From their hardware aesthetics, to naming conventions, to UI design, to digital distribution methods... The list goes on and on.

It's like they have a time traveller from 2004 crafting their strategy (from his blackberry).
No, they aren't comparable. I have PS Plus, and it actually disincentivizes me from buying games because I know they will eventually be free. There are no games out for PS4 I feel like I can't wait for to play - only PS3/Vita game I've bought in years was Dark Souls 1 and 2 (and I'll be buying Persona 5 as well).

I also don't look at Club Nintendo as a incentive to buy more Nintendo games - it's more of a way for them to get customer feedback via the surveys. The rewards are for you filling out the surveys, not for buying the games. Nintendo games should be good enough to stand on their own, and they are.

Your other points are mostly opinions - I have no problem with the Wii U UI (it was slow at launch but they have eliminated that with patches, the Quick Load thing is awesome) and the console is a black box, just like all the other consoles - so I guess no one has good hardware aesthetics.

I'll give you naming conventions, it should have just been called the Wii 2 - but really only Sony/Playstation is getting this right. Already covered their digital practices in a previous post, it's their biggest issue right now - I know several people who would jump on board the Wii U and future Nintendo consoles if they tied digital purchases to the Nintendo ID and not the hardware itself.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
No, they aren't comparable. I have PS Plus, and it actually disincentivizes me from buying games because I know they will eventually be free.
I disagree with this.

The only games I will wait instead of purchase are a few indie titles. If I really want a game, I will purchase it. You are correct in the fact that there isn't much now, but when The Evil Within Releases, I won't be waiting for it to hit PS Plus in 3 years. I'll be purchasing it immediately. I like the fact that I can play some games on my PS3 and PS4 for free. Strider I have now, and I'll probably get DS3 on PS3 just because I can, but other than that, a strong majority of games that finally come out on PS Plus have been games I have already purchased or played on another platform. I would say most gamers are not that patient.

With that said, Nintendo is far behind the times and always will be. I think a fair assumption for a lot of people is that folks have Nintendo consoles for 1st party games, as evident by the influx in sales when Mario Kart 8 shipped. My Wii U continues to collect dust until a Metroid/Zelda game comes out. I also do not like how they rehash levels with 3DS games and their Wii U counterparts at times when a Wii U version hits.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's plays their first and second party games at 60fps, and that's really all Nintendo planned for it to do. They build their hardware for the games they want to make, not the other way around. But's its always been that way (example, the only reason Sony made the original PS is because Nintendo rejected their new CD format) and is the major reason 3rd parties don't develop for them any longer. The other reason (at least for EA) is they refuse to build in systems like Origin into their Operating System and now EA is blackballing them on all titles, not just AAA cross platforms.
And this is precisely why their business plan for consoles is horrible. Nintendo could easily be the king of this generation but they are completely risk averse and unambitious. Also, this "build their hardware for the games they want to make, not the other way around" is the biggest bullshit excuse I have ever heard. Their games would work perfectly on a PS4 plus you would have all the AAA crossplatform titles.

Also, the PS4 was on a one game scale at launch:
Sony expects to recoup PlayStation 4 hardware loss at launch Eurogamer.net

The rest of your post supports my point. If the Wii U had the hardware of the PS4, and ran their business properly, it would have the crossplatform titles like Destiny.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
No, they aren't comparable. I have PS Plus, and it actually disincentivizes me from buying games because I know they will eventually be free. There are no games out for PS4 I feel like I can't wait for to play - only PS3/Vita game I've bought in years was Dark Souls 1 and 2 (and I'll be buying Persona 5 as well).

I also don't look at Club Nintendo as a incentive to buy more Nintendo games - it's more of a way for them to get customer feedback via the surveys. The rewards are for you filling out the surveys, not for buying the games. Nintendo games should be good enough to stand on their own, and they are.

Your other points are mostly opinions - I have no problem with the Wii U UI (it was slow at launch but they have eliminated that with patches, the Quick Load thing is awesome) and the console is a black box, just like all the other consoles - so I guess no one has good hardware aesthetics.

I'll give you naming conventions, it should have just been called the Wii 2 - but really only Sony/Playstation is getting this right. Already covered their digital practices in a previous post, it's their biggest issue right now - I know several people who would jump on board the Wii U and future Nintendo consoles if they tied digital purchases to the Nintendo ID and not the hardware itself.
Just because you don't think of Club Nintendo as an incentive program does not mean you are correct. At its core that's what it is. That's why you get 60-80 coins for a game purchase and 10 for a survey. Also, who the fuck would wait multiple years for a game to release for free on PSN rather than buying it themselves?

'They are all black boxes'. A Benz and a Corolla both roll on 4 wheels and have doors, I guess they both have the same aesthetics! Come the fuck on.

You like the Wii U UI? Do you also like being hung from your back-skin by chains from the ceiling? The shit is awful. Granted, after a period of years they made the quick launch. Great first step. Their eshop layout is a joke. Making purchases is a nightmare. Have you used the Wii U Netflix app for christ's sake? How about the absurdity of their social interaction methods? Streaming support?...

The only thing propping the Wii U up is the quality of Nintendo's first party titles. The thing has clearly been produced by a team of people who simply don't understand modern means of interacting with technology. If they don't pull an 'Apple' with their next hardware release I worry about the future of the company.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
we just got the ps4 2 weeks ago for my son's birthday- he has BF4 COD:ghosts(and the 3 dlc packs) and umm...second son(i think that is it.- we got him a year PS+ sub and a 50 buck GC to the playstation store.. a ps3 controller (my wife bought it thinking it would work with the ps4, i was like..honey it doesn't work) and the px4 headset...overall my wife spent close to 1000 dollars for his birthday stuff

he like cod- loves second son, has yet to try battlefield 4 - and i downloaded the free ps+ games from the store..

we have ~20 games for the wiiu- he has not touched it since he got the ps4, however my almost 10yr old daughter & son are playing pikmin 3, MK8 and AC4:black flag atm.

We are looking forward to several wiiu games (that are exclusive wiiu games) that are coming out in the next year

xenoblade 2
bayonetta 2 & the remastered bayonetta (get both games when you buy bayonetta 2)
splatoon
smash bros

and a few others.

sales for june are going to be up significantly for BOTH xbone and wiiu, the reason xbone will be up is the 100 dollar price drop and removal of kinect- MS said june Doubled may...i think may had them around 80k units. so they should be in the 160k range.. the wiiu sales increase will be,,,mario kart 8

wiiu for june i think will be about 140k units

next month is the twin's birthday....my soon to be10yr old son is foregoing a kids party to get an xbone...he Wants the Kinect version i believe.......

side note my daughter loved tomb raider (pc version) and just finished it last night.

so after next month, we'll be set console wise

xbone
ps4
wiiu...