Wii U

bralkan

The old ways are still best
digging mine. Now, if COD would stop freezing. Having to uninstall and reinstall an update is lame as hell.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Apparently there's a common problem that if you're connected to the internet while playing games, it will freeze. Some suggestions are: Make sure Wiiverse language is set to English ONLY. Another suggestion is to turn off your internet connection on the WiiU.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I finally got around to monkeying around with the Dolphin emulator and it's insane how good Wii games look on it. It's a shame the Wii U doesn't even come close when you play Wii games on it. They look outright terrible.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
The Wii U is just running a Wii emulator, only improvement is it's actually upscaling the game to 1080p, where as the Wii couldn't do that.

Xenoblade and The Last Story look better on the Wii U, but obviously not as good as Dolphin.

Dioblaire

And now my Watch has ended...
<Donor>
Anyone else having issues with Netflix not playing certain episodes/movies?

Enob

Golden Knight of the Realm
Probably obvious but my theory on why the Wii U isn't the knockout sensation the Wii was. Most of the ultra-casual parents, grandparents, girlfriends, etc. that really bought into the Wii's casual side don't necessarily need a reason to upgrade it. They aren't gamers or graphic whores that need the new hotness and don't need the new Wii Sports, Mario Kart, NSMB, Mario Galaxies and the like when they can always just go back and replay the ones they have.

Cor_sl

shitlord
Probably obvious but my theory on why the Wii U isn't the knockout sensation the Wii was. Most of the ultra-casual parents, grandparents, girlfriends, etc. that really bought into the Wii's casual side don't necessarily need a reason to upgrade it. They aren't gamers or graphic whores that need the new hotness and don't need the new Wii Sports, Mario Kart, NSMB, Mario Galaxies and the like when they can always just go back and replay the ones they have.
Smartphone and tablets are enough to appease those people, too. Cut The Rope, Fruit Ninja, Jetpack Joyride etc. are enough to fulfill their gaming needs.

Nintendo's only hope is to focus on the console hardcore, but they're going to be more interested in awesome graphics and stuff. I think they're going to have a hard time finding an audience for the Wii U.

Szlia

For what I see from the few and not super reliable data we have, the WiiU is the only home machine to sell well in Japan (5 times more than the PS3), it's lagging behind the PS3 and X360 in the US at about 2/3rd of the sales of its competitors and the PS3 dominates Europe with the Wii U a distant third with less than half the sales.

It should be noted that the Wii sales almost stopped in Japan while they stay at about 2/3 of the Wii U sales in the US and Europe.

It's not bombing just yet, but it's not very encouraging.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Sales in Japan are because of Monster Hunter, but US/Euro gamers are just bad. Though the game released for Wii U was also released on 3DS nearly a year before that so I'm sure that will have hurt the sales.

- New Super Mario Bros. U as Wii U's best-selling game with 170,563 units. Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate came in second with 110,149 units and Nintendo Land with 78,461 copies sold

Edit: Not sure if this includes bundle packs because the Wii U had a Monster Hunter bundle pack too.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
No surprise, the Wii U was as underwhelming as we thought for December, selling only 460k. That's barely better in five weeks than what it sold in the first 10 days, and for historical context, is worse than what the "599 US DOLLARS!" PS3 did in its first December.

I'm not saying the system is dead, but I am saying the current pricing is. Forget E3, they will probably have to announce a price drop in early April.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Wonder if they'd consider a price drop in February before the fiscal year ends, not sure they're quite that desperate in the short term though. Price drop + a new batch of games probably ideal.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
One of the big problems has been that the black Deluxe model has been sold out in a lot of places, and the white non-Deluxe model is not selling. Everyone wants the Deluxe or nothing. it's $50 more for the Deluxe and comes with one of the best games (thats $50 by itself) on the system, more storage, and some nice stands and stuff for the game pad and console itself.

The non Deluxe SKU will probably go away the same time as the price drop.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
Now that we've had a better look at software numbers, the situation is even uglier.

NSMBU is selling well. Aside from that, yeesh - ZombiU has sold over 100k. Every non-Nintendo game has sold worse, with many only in the 10k-20k range.

It turns out (as everyone that wasn't a Nintendo fanboy thought) that the number of people that wanted to play current gen games and hadn't bought a 360/PS3/decent PC was essentially zero, and that any WiiU sales were just stealing sales from existing systems (except they had to pay someone to port the game for the little to no gain).

Just to illustrate how bad it is: More people bought Boxed PC copies of AssCreed3 than Wii U copies. Where do you even find boxed PC games nowadays? Best Buy/Target? Does WalMart even carry them? Yet that sold better than the Wii U version did.

Or how about this one: More people bought boxedVITAcopies of Madden 13 than for the Wii U. Vita beat out the Wii U. Let that soak in.

I can't even call this a Gamecube-like situation, since that was a basically equivalent piece of hardware to its competitors. If the Nextbox really has 6ish GBs of usable memory compared to the Wii U's 1ish GB (I assume Nintendo will eventually slim down the system software footprint and give that room to the devs... right?), forget it.

Again, I'm not saying the Wii U can't sell systems. But 90+% of the games for it will be from Nintendo only.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Fuck WiiU. I'll play the semi-decent games when an emulator is out in a year or two.

Pikifou

Molten Core Raider
Someone knows if the WiiU will be able to handle more than one controller (the tablet one) ?
Because i haven't seen any on sell outside of the wiiU bundles.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Someone knows if the WiiU will be able to handle more than one controller (the tablet one) ?
Because i haven't seen any on sell outside of the wiiU bundles.
Yes and no. It technically can, but with two controllers it runs everything at *Half* the FPS according to what reports said. You also cannot buy them separately outside of Japan. If you need a replacement you have to go through Nintendo. There's very little chance that anyone will develop any two-controller games due to them not selling controllers plus the limitations.

I cannot see myself buying one. There's not a single killer app out and not a single big titleofficiallyannounced for the system. The entire line up through the first half of the year is just uninspiring.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
Again, to reiterate, Nintendo's E3 lineup should beawesome. The problems being:
1) They'll all be Nintendo made.
2) Who knows how many will make it out in 2013.
3) 720/PS4 launch titles could make them look like garbage (despite how well they play).

I probably will pick a Wii U up. I just won't do it until it is discounted to hell (again) in early 2014 or so.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Again, to reiterate, Nintendo's E3 lineup should beawesome. The problems being:
1) They'll all be Nintendo made.
2) Who knows how many will make it out in 2013.
3) 720/PS4 launch titles could make them look like garbage (despite how well they play).

I probably will pick a Wii U up. I just won't do it until it is discounted to hell (again) in early 2014 or so.
How long has it been since Nintendo actually put out a truly awesome title?

I want to play Skyward Sword, but I've heard a ton of complaints about it and it sounds like it's not even close to being one of the best Zelda's that they've done. Metroid Other M was a complete fucking disaster and Prime 3 was pretty bad. That leaves what, Mario Galaxy and yet-another-iteration-of-Mario-Kart-and-Smash-Brothers being their lastgoodgames?

Nintendo is going to need to do a lot fucking more than just put out more sequels this time around to win people over, imo.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
I'll repeat myself until it sinks in.. the US/Canada/EU need to learn about Monster Hunter. Every single game released is easily 100+ hours. I got 200 hours out of MH Tri on the Wii, and the MH Tri Ultimate is coming out for the Wii U with 3x the content. I'm one of those hopelessly optimistic Monster Hunter fans that hope Nintendo will have a limited MH/Wii U exclusive edition.. but I'm sure their heads are up their asses as usual. I've heard of many MH fans waiting to do the same thing, so there is still plenty of Wii U's to be bought come March.

Sure the game won't be for everyone, it is definitely not a kid friendly game.

Heres to hoping Nintendo/Capcom market the game really well so people stop complaining.