Wii U

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Mario Maker has to be one of the most addicting games I've played in years. When i'm not lost in making courses I get lost playing them. It's awesome playing and taking turns with the kids. My sons constantly try to make boards to stump me and I do the same for them. Really well done game I think. Just a little bit more could be added to searching and maybe in terms of top 10's or leaderboards could be added.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
So I really want to play Mario Maker but don't have a Wii U. My brother has one, but he told me it wasn't working properly, so I borrowed it from him to see what the problem was.

The system turns on, there's a solid blue light, but no video/audio is going to the TV. The tablet controller works, but it can't connect to the console (it tells me to move closer to the console but that does nothing). Did a ton of Googling, and while this seems to be an extremely common occurrence (albeit sometimes with a flashing blue light instead of a solid one), nobody seems to have found any solution. I tried multiple cables (HDMI and component), I tried multiple TVs, I even tried removing the battery from the console (that seemed to work for one guy on YouTube), but nothing works.

I called Nintendo and we went through the typical troubleshooting steps, but in the end they told me I would have to mail it in to be repaired. Since the warranty expired, it would cost me 100$, which I am most certainly not willing to pay just to be able to play Mario Maker. Now if I dropped the console down the stairs or something I could totally understand having to pay to repair it, but this is clearly a fault in the console itself (seems like it might even be related to internal software, which is even more of a burn). I don't get how they can release a broken product and charge me to fix it, warranty be damned. Jimmies definitely rustled.

Anyway, just wanted to know if anybody here had a similar issue and if you were able to figure out a way around it. It seems increasingly likely that my brother is now the owner of a very expensive doorstop, but I thought I'd at least check with the gang here before officially giving up.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm

koljec_sl

shitlord
If anyone plays it and cares, I have come to hate Splatoon, ranked battles specifically.

I get matched only with Japanese players, and they, or I, am lagged out. It's impossible to play.

Why are there not regional options with reasonable pings? This very good game has gone sour.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Super Mario Maker has sold over 1 million units and over 2.2 million levels created so far.

Wii U now has this list of 1 million or more sellers:

Mario Kart 8
Nintendo Land
New Super Mario Bros. U
Super Mario 3D World
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
New Super Luigi U
Splatoon
The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD
Wii Party U
Hyrule Warriors
Super Mario Maker

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
They are doing it, like suspected:

Nintendo Begins Distributing Software Kit for New NX Platform - WSJ

TOKYO- Nintendo Co. has begun distributing a software development kit for its new NX videogame platform, people familiar with the matter said, suggesting the company is on track to introduce the product as early as next year.

The kit is used by third-party software developers to modify existing games for the platform or create new ones. Videogame console makers such as Nintendo like to have popular game titles ready when they start selling new devices.

Nintendo's current flagship products are the Wii U, a console typically used in the living room, and the portable 3DS device. Both have been out for several years, leading analysts to predict that the Kyoto-based entertainment powerhouse will move fairly swiftly to bring out the NX.

"We are increasingly of the idea that Nintendo might launch the NX in 2016 because of the softness of 3DS and Wii U," said David Gibson, an analyst at Macquarie Capital Securities.

A Nintendo spokeswoman said the company plans to disclose details of NX next year.

Square Enix Co. said in July that it planned to make the latest version of its blockbuster role-playing game Dragon Quest for the NX. That version, called Dragon Quest XI, is also planned for the 3DS and Sony Corp.'s PlayStation 4.

The exact shape of the NX hardware isn't yet clear. People familiar with the development plans said Nintendo would likely include both a console and at least one mobile unit that could either be used in conjunction with the console or taken on the road for separate use. They also said Nintendo would aim to put industry-leading chips in the NX devices, after criticism that the Wii U's capabilities didn't match those of competitors.

Nintendo's former president, Satoru Iwata, said in March that NX "is a platform dedicated for videogames." Mr. Iwata died in July, and his post was assumed in September by Tatsumi Kimishima, a former banker who served as one of Mr. Iwata's top lieutenants at Nintendo.

Mr. Kimishima is expected to carry forward the strategy of Mr. Iwata, a legendary figure for many videogame fans. In the months before his death, Mr. Iwata laid out plans to put Nintendo characters in games for mobile devices under a partnership with DeNA Co. and made a deal with amusement park operator Universal Parks & Resorts, which is part of Comcast Corp.

"Nintendo is no longer just a traditional videogame company," said industry veteran Hirokazu Hamamura, a director at Kadokawa Dwango Corp., which publishes magazines about videogames.
A console and a handheld, running the same operating system, with games that can be run on both and scale based on hardware. Nintendo is going full iOS here and merging their console/hardware teams and development to effectively double their software output which should allow them to provide enough games to be the sole/main developer for their hardware. With this they will stop caring what 3rd parties decide to do.

Also, big Splatoon patch coming next week:

On October 20, 2015, new update data for the Splatoon game will become available for download. Please take a moment to download and install this update while your Wii U console is connected to the Internet.

Weapons Adjustments:
.Adjustments will be made to Main Weapons, Sub Weapons, and Special Weapons. View details

Ranked Battle Adjustments
.Adjustments will be made to the rules in Rainmaker and Tower Control modes. View details

Ranking Adjustments
.Rank S users will be matched up with other rank S users more frequently, and rank S+ users will be matched up with other rank S+ users more frequently
.To accommodate this change, the calculation method for ranks S and S+ users will be adjusted. View details

Stage Adjustments
.Walleye Warehouse: Adjustments will be made to prevent users from taking certain shortcuts in Rainmaker Mode
.Saltspray Rig: Adjustments will be made to prevent users from placing Splash Walls in certain places
.Arowana Mall: Adjustments will be made to prevent users from taking certain shortcuts in all modes
.Kelp Dome: Small adjustments will be made for Rainmaker mode
.Flounder Heights: In addition to changing the stage layout in Rainmaker, other adjustments will be made to prevent users from taking certain shortcuts in all modes and to prevent the attachment of Suction Bombs in certain places
.Hammerhead bridge: Adjustments will be made to prevent users from taking certain shortcuts in all modes

Effects Adjustments
.The visual effects of position-tracking for teammates will be less visible. View details
.The launching sound effect of the Inkzooka will be more audible

Battle Adjustments
.Fixed the issue in which the ink refills slightly when beginning to charge an empty Splatling weapon
.Fixed the issue in which the Point Sensors and Disruptors do not function when there is significant lag in the connectivity
.Fixed the issue in which players are able to move the Tower even when they are not on the Tower by swimming in the area bordering the top and sides of the Tower
.Fixed the issue in which the Rainmaker shield does not take damage when the shield is extremely close to a wall
.Fixed the issue in which visual effects do not display when some of the ink hit the Rainmaker Barrier and Splash Walls
.Fixed the issue in which some ink splats occasionally go through thin walls
.Fixed the issue in which rollers occasionally inflict damage through thin walls
.Fixed the issue in which Kraken occasionally inflicts damage against opponents hiding on the other side of a thin wall
.Fixed the issue in which Shooter type main weapons shoot at a faster rate than usual when specific special weapons are activated

Bug Fixes in Battle Dojo:
.Fixed the issue in which Splash Walls do not block opponents' bombs and blasters

Bug fixes:
.Fixed the issue in which the damage stats for Splattershot Jr., Custom Splattershot Jr., N-ZAP 85, and N-ZAP89 are displayed as higher than they actually are. This only changes the information displayed in the stats. The actual stats will remain the same.
.Adjustments will also be made to make for a more pleasant gaming experience
Lots of weapon rebalancing, mostly nerfs to rollers.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Glad i didnt buy the Wii-U(well i did but sent it back) b/c it hasnt been long enough for another system imo. However in the end its a good move for 3rd party support if they can bring in enough power to the table. However their stubbornness to include gimmicky addons to consoles always make it cost more than needed.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Glad i didnt buy the Wii-U(well i did but sent it back) b/c it hasnt been long enough for another system imo. However in the end its a good move for 3rd party support if they can bring in enough power to the table. However their stubbornness to include gimmicky addons to consoles always make it cost more than needed.
The NX won't be coming out until late 2016 at best, more likely sometime in 2017. That puts the Wii U lifespan at 5 years, which is pretty much the average life of a Nintendo console. The last generation for all 3 console makers was much longer than they wanted.

The dev kits are just now being released and the hardware isn't even finalized. There hasn't even been any kind of official announcement (and they said there won't be until 2016) about the console, it's just rumors and reports at this point.

spronk

FPS noob
i just don't see a world where nintendo isn't forced to be just a games developer and abandon hardware. Maybe it will take another generation or two but there is no way they can compete at the handheld end with mobile phones and at the top end with PC/console gaming. Sadly I think it'll take the NX being a mega bomb while their new eDNA mobile games partnership is a huge hit for them to finally acknowledge that.

koljec_sl

shitlord
i just don't see a world where nintendo isn't forced to be just a games developer and abandon hardware. Maybe it will take another generation or two but there is no way they can compete at the handheld end with mobile phones and at the top end with PC/console gaming. Sadly I think it'll take the NX being a mega bomb while their new eDNA mobile games partnership is a huge hit for them to finally acknowledge that.
Not entirely disagreeing, but...

You know, there isn't much more to Apple than there is to Nintendo. Success is about timing as much as anything else. The hardware thing is about maintaining control. If you give up the proprietary hardware, you're not much different than any other software developer.

What favors Nintendo is that, even though gaming has shifted to mobile, mobile gaming has very few recognizable IPs and not much good will. It's mostly generic and infuriating gacha. A system that scales between mobile and console sounds versatile and right (but I also don't see how Nintendo keeps on doing a handheld without giving it phone capability). If they can soften the gacha plague on mobile, I think Nintendo has room to grow.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Because the majority of Nintendo's revenue come from their hardware. They also make 100% of the profit off their software because they release it to their own hardware.

Like koljec said, they are very much like Apple. Their hardware is built with their software in mind (not the other way around like Xbox/PS) - and even more so going forward with them combining the handheld and console divisions.

They are also going hard for mobile now. They realized the dreck that is current mobile game releases, and partnered with the biggest mobile developer in the world DeNa. The first game announcement should be soon.

Also, they aren't in a competition with Microsoft and Sony and haven't been for the last decade. Becoming the 3rd PC-clone like the other consoles is not the answer. If they execute their strategy right they will have the best mobile/handheld games on the market that can also scale to be full games on the console. At that point it's a no brainer to keep a home console device on the market because the games you are making scale to all hardware (mobile, handheld dedicated game device, and console).

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
I actually love my Wii-U but it is depressing to see that when most games comes out there is not a Nintendo port
frown.png
I'm probably in the minority according to data released but I loved the hand-held gamepad with screen. Particularly on games that utilized it well. I always thought it would be badass if leveraged in an RPG. Always hit or miss whether games really put it to use or just had gimmick shit up there.

I'm not even an avid gamer anymore, but the Madden differences were lame and then they just stopped releasing them for Wii
frown.png
And I swear I have no clue why they never put out a new MLB Power Pros. That was the best baseball game for any console I have ever played.

Plus if you look at my Wii-U play history it's like 50%+ Netflix. I loved how I could control it and read descriptions and shit on the little screen or even watch it there so someone else could use the TV. Using it as a TV remote had a ton of potential too if they modified the implementation a bit.

With my play levels I'll probably be on the Wii-U for like 5 more years unless this NX thing is basically a Wii-U that can easily handle the general game market, then I'd upgrade just for the games.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Yeah the Gamepad is awesome, mostly for Off-TV play (I do a ton of multitasking by watching sports on TV and playing games on the pad). I'm sure the NX will support it but it won't be the main controller - they should just make the Pro controller the new default.

I also don't see how a game like Super Mario Maker would work without the Gamepad - it would be very cumbersome at least.