Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
THere should be PVP servers like WOW if that's your thing. But this game is foremost a PVE game.
I would be interested in an open world game with open world pvp, not the WoW bg/arena model again and again. Hopefully they don't do the pvp gear crap as well Resilience or whatever.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Is there pvp gear ( as in gear with a specific pvp stat u can only get via pvp ? )
Yes.

I would be interested in an open world game with open world pvp, not the WoW bg/arena model again and again. Hopefully they don't do the pvp gear crap as well Resilience or whatever.
There will be open PvP during leveling is some zones (not all of them) but Wildstar is basically a PvE game with instanced PvP features.

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
I know I'm going to be horribly disappointed but their awesome marketing alone has ensured a box sale from me. Now to just find enough competent people to raid with.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What are the last two classes, anyway?

What do we know about them?
We do, since Carbine pretty much leaked themselves there :

6PQwiMK.jpg

Fromthis video(6:42)

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Yes.

There will be open PvP during leveling is some zones (not all of them) but Wildstar is basically a PvE game with instanced PvP features.
So from a pvp perspective they are building WoW and from a character building perspective it seems like this is more like diablo.. Wonderful ! yet another game i shall skip.

GonzytheMage

Golden Knight of the Realm
they lost me on combat too... it was responsive enough just alot of button mashing. i still have reservations until i see what they did with the feedback they received in beta. swtor made me really gunshy of wow clones.

Column_sl

shitlord
From a testers perspective, Its a 100% wow clone. It also has allot of stuff that will remind you of MOP.

I guess that is about as Vague as I can be without giving details.

Who knows what the game will turn into by release tho

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So from a pvp perspective they are building WoW and from a character building perspective it seems like this is more like diablo.. Wonderful ! yet another game i shall skip.
You lost me on the diablo comparison but about open world PvP : who knows, maybe there will be level 41-50 zones which will hold guerillla-like or skirmish-style fights like WoW (Tarren Mill, Tyr's Hand, Silithus or Felwood). I don't know about your open world PvP definition, but to me this sounds open enough (though a bit lame because unbalanced and not competitive).

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
You lost me on the diablo comparison but about open world PvP : who knows, maybe there will be level 41-50 zones which will hold guerillla-like or skirmish-style fights like WoW (Tarren Mill, Tyr's Hand, Silithus or Felwood). I don't know about your open world PvP definition, but to me this sounds open enough (though a bit lame because unbalanced and not competitive).
On the open world pvp. PVP should be within the world, not a side game. That is valued resources in the world are fought over. Think contested raid mobs from eq2... it was the BEST pvp i have ever played for 2 reasons.

1. It was balanced by group not individual - meaning if you rolled alone and ran into the wrong class you were toast but they kept the group mechanics in place and tanks TAUNTED opponents.
2. There were plenty of open area dungeons where you had to fight to complete. There were instances, but many open world areas that were necessary for progression that caused massive pvp fights.

One time on Venekor server when I was in the top raid guild there we even challenged qeynos publicly to come stop our raid. we had a full raid force of 24 and about 18 on pvp defense defending the landing platform for the island. We killed the drake/dragon ( forget name ) just as our pvp defense crumbled and we were able to destroy the approaching pvp opposition just after mob died.

When you are fighting over something real in game and its part of the world, pvp gets to be a whole lot more interesting. Instanced pvp with pvp gear ? No way in hell i will play that crap again and even blizzard admitted the failure that Arenas were.

Everything is going diablo now it seems. Drop the complexity, go for the mindless action spam fest. See Neverwinter etc.

Column_sl

shitlord
PVP is a joke in this game.

Almost all the skill shots ( think league of legends ) are ground level, and there is no targeting system.
This is not new information, you can see it from there videos.

So essentially you can mouse turn, and double jump all the time. Only landing for your random skill shots.
One person doing that can take out a group of 5. I couldn't believe it the first time I witnessed it.

My guess is this has to change for release. All classes would have to have skills where they can lock on, and ground a player for a long period of time.
Honestly it's just a travesity of a system right now. To me it seems like another game where PVP will be an afterthought, because it wasn't designed to work with they way designed pve.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
PVP is a joke in this game.

Almost all the skill shots ( think league of legends ) are ground level, and there is no targeting system.
This is not new information, you can see it from there videos.

So essentially you can mouse turn, and double jump all the time. Only landing for your random skill shots.
One person doing that can take out a group of 5. I couldn't believe it the first time I witnessed it.

My guess is this has to change for release. All classes would have to have skills where they can lock on, and ground a player for a long period of time.
Honestly it's just a travesity of a system right now. To me it seems like another game where PVP will be an afterthought, because it wasn't designed to work with they way designed pve.
Lol? so its bad because you have to aim?

And it wont change before release. That's the entire point of going action style combat, that its not all lock on skills. There are enough lock on skills already(my esper by level 4 already had one). Btw jumping will not save you from skills, just because the telegraph is on the ground does not mean its a ground based ability, that's is just the "area". I can give a example, playing my esper, the bird illusion finishing move, even if someone was jumping, if they were still in the area they got hit. I think the only thing I didn't see what is someone was at the apex of their double jump, could they get out of the entire area of my move(maybe so) but that's a good thing if they can.

And if someone can dodge and move out of abilities to be able to take on 5 people solo, then the system is working. Unlike a pure lock on system where only gear decides who wins because moves will always hit. You saw a lot of this in tera, where someone was skilled enough to dodge abilities(even lock ons) and be able to take out 2-3+ alone, even if they had inferior gear.

Column_sl

shitlord
Just wait to you see how pvp is in this game. There is no way to ground a person that knows what he is doing.
They are literally jumping all over the arena. Once a tester showed me how to do it, Ive never been hit by anything. Its a joke

Like I said when you see the spastic mouse turning with double jumps all over the place everyone will see exactly what I'm talking about.

has nothing to do with dodging, and take absolutely no skill....

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I have PVPd in this game. It's called learning how to play and I could ground you easily, its called timing abilities and foreshadowing movement.

And this was at low levels with not many CC abilities.

Also it was fun as hell. Maybe its a taste thing, but it reminded me of older FPS games(quake, giants, original TF or even my scout in Tf2). I enjoy the fast past movement and barely ever standing still.

Column_sl

shitlord
I doubt it, because it is impossible.

You obviously only played this during open beta.

The group im in does allot of the arena testing, and we had one of there Devs watch us do it.

I've yet to see any changes to there system.
We can all still be untouchable.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
On the open world pvp. PVP should be within the world, not a side game. That is valued resources in the world are fought over. Think contested raid mobs from eq2... it was the BEST pvp i have ever played for 2 reasons.

1. It was balanced by group not individual - meaning if you rolled alone and ran into the wrong class you were toast but they kept the group mechanics in place and tanks TAUNTED opponents.
2. There were plenty of open area dungeons where you had to fight to complete. There were instances, but many open world areas that were necessary for progression that caused massive pvp fights.

One time on Venekor server when I was in the top raid guild there we even challenged qeynos publicly to come stop our raid. we had a full raid force of 24 and about 18 on pvp defense defending the landing platform for the island. We killed the drake/dragon ( forget name ) just as our pvp defense crumbled and we were able to destroy the approaching pvp opposition just after mob died.

When you are fighting over something real in game and its part of the world, pvp gets to be a whole lot more interesting. Instanced pvp with pvp gear ? No way in hell i will play that crap again and even blizzard admitted the failure that Arenas were.

Everything is going diablo now it seems. Drop the complexity, go for the mindless action spam fest. See Neverwinter etc.
I've never played EQ2 and I do understand your point about fighting for something (raid boss), instead of roaming around killing AFKers or bots. On the other hand, I would disagree about Blizzard admitting arenas were a failure, they only said they implemented them too soon.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I doubt it, because it is impossible.

You obviously only played this during open beta.

The group im in does allot of the arena testing, and we had one of there Devs watch us do it.

I've yet to see any changes to there system.
We can all still be untouchable.
I don't think cinge nor anyone here playedWildstar's open beta, since there is no such thing. Also I wouldn't know about your personal arena testing group, but most of the four classes had many skills that hit / stun / knockback / knockdown your character wherever he is. And you've yet to see any chances to their system because there is no beta running right now, CBT3 is over and CBT4 hasn't even been announced. Granted some skills won't hit you while you're up the air, but it's not like you don't have choices to make (even though the LAS skillbar system limits them by design).