Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

Column_sl

shitlord
There was a stress test beta,,,, open beta, whatever you want to call it....

They let a shitload of people in for a couple of days every month. They are not the normal beta testers...

Wtf are you smoking?

Like I said we did tons of feedback on the pvp issues with the devs right there watching. They did nothing about it for the entire time we were playing.
The pvp in this game is laughable in its current state.

The best way to describe it is if you ever watched a Feral Druid mouse turn really quickly pvping in wow, it looks like they are laggin all over the place.

Now take that to the X /Y/Z planes and you have wildstar.

all they have to do to fix it is not allow infinite double jumping if you are engaged in pvp. Make it a stamina charge..

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
I've never played EQ2 and I do understand your point about fighting for something (raid boss), instead of roaming around killing AFKers or bots. On the other hand, I would disagree about Blizzard admitting arenas were a failure, they only said they implemented them too soon.
Arenas were failure because balancing a game for 1on1 ruins group mechanics and nueters class designs .. but these days that does not matter anymore everyone solos.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Arenas were failure because balancing a game for 1on1 ruins group mechanics and nueters class designs .. but these days that does not matter anymore everyone solos.
I don't think arenas is a succees too, I was just pointing out your mistake regarding Blizzard's official statement on Arenas.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
How is the combat in this game in comparison to like... Tera? I tried out Tera, and the combat is pretty solid.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
On a scale of 1 to 5, with GW2 being a 1 and Tera being a 5, the combat is like a 3. There's a bit more aiming involved that GW2, but it's not as action-like as TERA.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
On a scale of 1 to 5, with GW2 being a 1 and Tera being a 5, the combat is like a 3. There's a bit more aiming involved that GW2, but it's not as action-like as TERA.
This. I'm still waiting for another game to go full action like tera, which is awesome but for some reason companies are scared and just go half or 3/4.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Did TERA's combat feel responsive? I always assumed the reason MMOs never really warmed up to more action oriented combat was because of performance and latency issues.

Xevy

Log Wizard
TERA did feel a bit better than Wildstar's, but Wildstar's felt improved each beta cycle. TERA is honestly the mark to hit in term of a 'feel' for action though.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
Did TERA's combat feel responsive? I always assumed the reason MMOs never really warmed up to more action oriented combat was because of performance and latency issues.
I've been fucking around with the Lancer in the game since it's F2P now, and it's pretty damn responsive so far. If there's one thing Terra has right, it's action combat. And Wildstar needs to nail that.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Tera has a lot of animation lock in, and GW2 doesn't. I would say GW2 combat feels more responsive.

Rogosh

Lord Nagafen Raider
Playing Tera now and the combat feels choppy. I want to be able to continue to move while attacking and not have to wait for an animation to finish.

To Mist: yes but GW2s everyone's a healer philosophy did not work very well.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Playing Tera now and the combat feels choppy. I want to be able to continue to move while attacking and not have to wait for an animation to finish.

To Mist: yes but GW2s everyone's a healer philosophy did not work very well.
Animation locking isn't really choppy, but yeah some people hated it and hate TERA combat because of it. The thing is as you level, you get attackspeed items, that reduce the animation time by a good margin, so that it becomes faster and faster paced. Mostly what's extremely good about TERA combat is hit localization, evades, movement abilities and actually the animations themselves which let you react to something before you inevitably get hit and avoid it even without using an actual "invuln frames evade" type move. The combat eventually flows well, it's fast, it's responsive, it's really nice.

Animation locking ends up being a balancing point for people who can't aim for shit. Fail to aim your ability, you whiff and are now stuck and open for counter attack. When you're not animation locked everything feels very floaty, kinda like GW2 combat, and a lot of skills have to be balanced around having people moving all the time so the hitboxes are bigger, the attacks faster(and as such harder to predict and avoid unless it's the big ones specifically made slow) and the combat becomes a lot less interesting imo and a lot closer to tab targetting mmos. GW2 doesn't play that different than wow in the end, you have a dodge key but other than that, it plays like any mmorpg made lately, there's not much skill involved in the targetting and aiming.

To each their own though, but imo Tera is still way above any other games in terms of combat, assuming you're looking for action combat. I assume Blade and Soul(another korean game) might be equal but I haven't played that and they're taking forever to port it, if they ever port it. It's more or less the same game though, just better graphics, weirder looking shit, and as much lolis and stripper "clothes" as usual.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Yup, TERA has the best combat engine in the industry. It's a shame the game around it is kind of meh.

I just got an email about my free 58 being ready. I made a Priest so I think I'll give things a go later today.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
I can't even find the abilities merchant for my level 58. Made a Lancer, so this is going to be a bitch to figure out and actually group up with people.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
While I enjoyed the combat in Tera, and I know what I'm about to say will sound a bit strange but the better I got at the game the more boring it became. Because you can essentially avoid all damage, at a certain skill level...it's just became too easy, I never got hit, and it sorta became extremely boring routine. You can kill the big ass mobs without taking damage, I know there was a high level of risk if you do get hit, but by reaching a certain skill level...it was gone.

The other bad part of it, was combat chains...I ended up just using about 2 or 3 starter abilities and just hit spacebar over and over again. Normal mobs my level died through a single very long chain on my warrior with me taking zero damage.

In the end it's not much different than other MMOs, it was a very good combat, very fluid, but I never saw it as something so above everything else. GW2, or Wildstar are not either btw...they are fun, but not above anything else either.

I enjoy having a dodge, dash ability like gw2 or Wildstar and slightly more action than WoW, but I still enjoy WoW combat a lot...heck on the timeless isle...WoW does telegraphs better than Wildstar did...and it's one of their major selling point. Aside from being all generally the same shape in WoW...the ratio of white damage vs telegraph damage, frequency of the telegraph, reaction time...all of those are better in WoW than Wildstar.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

(At 2:44 when he says "... and get into classes." you can see Medic on the left and Engineer on the right).