Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
The whole class system in this game is pretty lackluster. They combat system is pretty fun, the quest system is pretty great (if you like that kind of gameplay), the world is really well made and good looking. Things are really well written etc.

The way classes are designed and the way the AMP system is set up is pretty bland and uninspiring. There isn't a single original thought in any of the class design. Who ever is in charge of classes should be fired because it's going to be the death of the game.

The only class that is interesting is the Stalker only because their special class ability doesn't have a cooldown and it's fun. Essentially you can enter stealth whenever you want in or out of combat. After a few levels it's essentially any other rogue class in an MMO though and you get the been there done that feeling. You use your "power suit energy" but you're just a guy in cloth/leather armor with claws. Sounds powersuit-like to me. :/

The rest of the classes have 1-3 minute cooldown abilities that give you +% better power. Yay another cooldown button to manage. If they were smart, they would give each class a really cool ability that you can use constantly without fear if you are using this ability at the right time.

Maybe things change after level 15. I really couldn't last longer to find out. This game deserves to be played because the systems in the game are really amazing for what they are trying to do. Their classes suck though.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
The whole class system in this game is pretty lackluster. They combat system is pretty fun, the quest system is pretty great (if you like that kind of gameplay), the world is really well made and good looking. Things are really well written etc.

bland and uninspiring.
Exactly. WoW was at one time a fantastic game. This does a few things a little different and is really well made just like WoW. It just doesn't do anything much differently than WoW. Will that be enough for WoW diehards to switch games with all the previous time invested? Hard to say but anyone that has left WoW for something, whatever reason...will probably leave this game fairly quickly for the exact same reasons. Wanted to keep using the like WoW comments because that's the quickest, truest description of this game.

iannis

Musty Nester
Yeah, the class system is pretty damn safe. I don't care for exactly what you mention, every class (except stalker) has a 60-120s class ability cooldown that's supposed to flavor them up. Unfortunately it really doesn't accomplish that, what it accomplishes is adding an unnecessary layer of tedium to what is otherwise an engaging combat system. Equally unfortunately it's way the fuck too late to change that even if they wanted to -- and I assume they don't want to. I don't think they accidentally the whole class system.

Offsetting that is the Path system, the non combat class system, whichreallyshines out. The path rewards are garbage -- but that's how good the path system is. It doesn't matter.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Just going to echo what Draegan says about the classes. In both CBTs I just struggle to level any of the classes I decided to play at the time.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Leveling is pretty heinous until about lvl 20, it seems. I think it's especially impossible to do without friends. That makes it feel more like a fun-run and not just you on a treadmill.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm still upset at their "we heard you" move when people said they were utterly bored at "collect 75 monkey hair" type questing. Some people (mostly filthy casuals of course) felt the progress showed as 00/00 felt like a chore and wasn't fun. So instead of going "Monkey hair collected 25/75" we now have "Monkey hair collected 33%". A motherfucking Jesus tapdancing Christ percentage instead of raw number. Talk about amateur game design decisions. I mean after this move they almost congratulated each other like they just successfully trained dogs to pilot helicopters. And I won't even talk about AMP system which a masked straightforward talent tree system with passive stats gains, procs and abilities. How would you want to gain more abilities in a gameplay that already limits how many abilities you can put on your limited action set ?

January beta patch, you're out there ? I hope you're fat, juicy and relevant.

Xevy

Log Wizard
You can gain 1, maybe 2 abilities from amps. Not like you're gaining 6 new skills you don't have room for. And most of them are the very defined.

The amp system + tier system is good enough for me for talent system. I'm not sure what people want besides the ability to customize both what you do and how you do it? I think a 3rd customization route is unnecessary.

Plus y'all motherfuckers don't even know what they're doing with sets yet. And some other stuff I probably can't mention.

Progress bar rarely changes anything except when there's an elite you can actually kill for quest progress.

Game needs to show us the end-game before people are allowed to shit on it the way they want to. We're all seeing the tip of the iceberg and saying "Yeah right, Titanic will own that shit."

skribble

Golden Knight of the Realm
Dunno, Im having lots of fun. The thing that will hold this in good stead is the smoothness and responsiveness of the engine. Outside of Wow, its about the best there is. The quests are kind of garbage up until around level 15 or so, though I did find some good ones in certain areas of the exile race with tails (not good with names;P). There are a lot of fetch quests though, but they have the systems in place for phasing, public events etc. so Id be confident in time the levelling may improve. Did feel grindy.

As for the classes, yeah they are bland. One of the first MMOs I got into was Anarchy Online, and I miss the diversity and uniqueness of the classes in that game. Every game Ive played since then was "Oh here's the warrior. Here's his gap closer. He wears heavy armour. Here's his stun. He can also tank." and so on.

The healing is also a mixed bag. The problem is there is not a lot of support gear in the game before the first dungeon, so you have healers (myself included) entering dungeons drastically undergeared. Some of the classes such as medic don't even get their awesome/cookie cutter heal spell until 24, so they struggle big time. Add in the fact that at level 20 there are mechanics that wow doesn't have until end game (one shot wisps, moving in a circle together whilst avoiding aoe damage on the ground, co-ordinated interrupts) and you have one very unforgiving experience.

I actually really like this, I miss a challenge and its fun, but I'd imagine it is very alienating to people completely new to the genre. They could do with a dungeon around 15 or so that is a lot easier and gives everyone a chance to gear up somewhat for the level 20 experience as their relevant roles (tank/healer), and keep the difficulty of the level 20 dungeons the same.

As for healing .. It's a mixed bag. At times it feels great and I love it, at other times it feels clunky because some spells are targeted, some aren't, and there are not a lot of oh shit buttons (at least at 20) so if you've just done a big heal and someone takes spike damage, you are left with the monotony of using your builders before being able to heal, which feels like you don't have any power to affect things. That part doesn't feel dynamic or reactive, whereas the rest does.

Housing is great, and I say that as someone who has never, ever been interested in any way with housing in a game. It never appealed, but its cool being able to make things like jumping puzzles on your land and filling your house up with shit from a boss (and a boss that is somewhat difficult). Feels rewarding.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
1Jh9qzc.jpg

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Leveling is pretty heinous until about lvl 20, it seems. I think it's especially impossible to do without friends. That makes it feel more like a fun-run and not just you on a treadmill.
id expect this to change before launch. right now you rocket to 10, slow to a crawl to 20 and then speed up again all the way to 36. the 10-20 xp is obviously off and theres been a lot of feedback on it.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
id expect this to change before launch. right now you rocket to 10, slow to a crawl to 20 and then speed up again all the way to 36. the 10-20 xp is obviously off and theres been a lot of feedback on it.
Because it lacks a whole zone ?

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
You can gain 1, maybe 2 abilities from amps. Not like you're gaining 6 new skills you don't have room for. And most of them are the very defined.

The amp system + tier system is good enough for me for talent system. I'm not sure what people want besides the ability to customize both what you do and how you do it? I think a 3rd customization route is unnecessary.

Plus y'all motherfuckers don't even know what they're doing with sets yet. And some other stuff I probably can't mention.

Progress bar rarely changes anything except when there's an elite you can actually kill for quest progress.

Game needs to show us the end-game before people are allowed to shit on it the way they want to. We're all seeing the tip of the iceberg and saying "Yeah right, Titanic will own that shit."
Everything about this game is pretty good except for class design imo.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
i think the most fun part of this game will be watching guilds try to recruit for 40 man raids after people start leaving after the first month.

Helldiver

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I'm going to get hated but sorry for being out of the loop...

You mean it's 2014 and we're still having new MMO's insist on 40man raids? You mean 40 man dynamic right? (min 10+).

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm going to get hated but sorry for being out of the loop...

You mean it's 2014 and we're still having new MMO's insist on 40man raids? You mean 40 man dynamic right? (min 10+).
dont worry. if it doesnt work to start out with, they arnt tied to the idea going forward.