Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

Column_sl

shitlord
Whenever i go into a stream playing Wildstar, the chats is almost 100% this game fucking sucks.

Never seen such a turnaround in hype before a launch.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
YThe entire quest grind thing does nothing more than introduce a masked grind, (which was fine in the first 2 games that had it) typically by yourself, and absolutely no exploration. Because everyone knows that if a quest does not take you there, there is absolutely nothing there to explore. no rare mobs, no rare loot, no placeholders, nothing except same old mobs that you grind away on in your quests with a shitty world wide loot table that is the same exact thing for every mob in the game. The whole system is so anti climatic and so anti MMOish.
When WoW really went heavy (or started to) into the "quest hubs" with TBC, I actually liked it because you had another option for exp aside from just grinding. The way it (and subsequent games) built the entire leveling process around going hub to hub though got extremely tedious. At least in TBC flying mounts were new, and they had places to explore with them that were not part of the hub experience. This was another reason I loved the datacrons in SWTOR, they were reasons to explore, and frankly there should have been more easter egg puzzles put into that game because those were the most fun to do/figure out.

FFXIV was nice to play with the option of Fates to help with the exp grind as well.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
So far most quests just seem like "go here, click this" or "go here, kill five of these" so far. I hope they get a bit better the higher you get (I'm level 11 at the moment), so I'll reserve judgement.

It's pretty polished considering it's in beta phase. Just some broken quests and UI stuff that they need to fix. But I just feel like they could do a lot more with quests right now.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So far most quests just seem like "go here, click this" or "go here, kill five of these" so far. I hope they get a bit better the higher you get (I'm level 11 at the moment), so I'll reserve judgement.

It's pretty polished considering it's in beta phase. Just some broken quests and UI stuff that they need to fix. But I just feel like they could do a lot more with quests right now.
I'd say its a decent mix(but I also like the simon says style quest).

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
When WoW really went heavy (or started to) into the "quest hubs" with TBC, I actually liked it because you had another option for exp aside from just grinding. The way it (and subsequent games) built the entire leveling process around going hub to hub though got extremely tedious. At least in TBC flying mounts were new, and they had places to explore with them that were not part of the hub experience. This was another reason I loved the datacrons in SWTOR, they were reasons to explore, and frankly there should have been more easter egg puzzles put into that game because those were the most fun to do/figure out.

FFXIV was nice to play with the option of Fates to help with the exp grind as well.
I dont know what you're taking about. Wow had quest hubs since vanilla. It lacked in certain level ranges a bit, but it sure had them.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
I dont know what you're taking about. Wow had quest hubs since vanilla. It lacked in certain level ranges a bit, but it sure had them.
In WoWvan I never 'felt' like I was on rails. IIRC there were multiple choices in the path through the world one could take. It was even feasible to only grind in dungeons for levels on end...and I certainly did.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Maybe in the beginning zones, tell me what options did you have lvl20+ for horde side? Aside the dungeons, of course.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Think of it this way. You can do dungeons, you can quest, you can pvp or you can grind mobs here. Get your housing buff, then go do that activity.

Not sure we will ever see the day when most races have their own starter area again.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Maybe in the beginning zones, tell me what options did you have lvl20+ for horde side? Aside the dungeons, of course.
There was a lot of overlapping in zones, STV/Thousands Flats/Tanaris/Alterac for example for 30-40, then Winterspiring/Feralas/Western and Eastern Plaguelands/Whatever the zone that was south of blackrock was for 40-50. There always was multiple places to go. Granted, you had to do ALL the places to not fall behind on xp, but there still was a choice. I'm also forgetting some zones cause it's been forever, there was the demon forest on the way to winterspring, 45+ ish?, the zone north of blackrock, the zone with azuregos, the zone with the other world boss the big demon guy and the roaming dragon, the sunken temple zone etc. I don't remember the exact level ranges on any of these but in vanilla you had so little xp you had to do everything but for any given level you had 2 or 3 zones to go to and you had to hop back and forth so quests wouldn't turn grey.

Merrith

Sure it had hubs in certain spots in vanilla, but it wasn't built as literal Hub A to Hub B to Hub C. It also varied a lot from zone to zone some had good hubs, others had shit ones you could barely call a hub. Come TBC it was basically follow the hubs all the way through every zone.

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
There was a lot of overlapping in zones, STV/Thousands Flats/Tanaris/Alterac for example for 30-40, then Winterspiring/Feralas/Western and Eastern Plaguelands/Whatever the zone that was south of blackrock was for 40-50. There always was multiple places to go. Granted, you had to do ALL the places to not fall behind on xp, but there still was a choice. I'm also forgetting some zones cause it's been forever, there was the demon forest on the way to winterspring, 45+ ish?, the zone north of blackrock, the zone with azuregos, the zone with the other world boss the big demon guy and the roaming dragon, the sunken temple zone etc. I don't remember the exact level ranges on any of these but in vanilla you had so little xp you had to do everything but for any given level you had 2 or 3 zones to go to and you had to hop back and forth so quests wouldn't turn grey.
You didn't have to do all the places at all, you had to do more than one for sure. You could do dungeon quests, but they were opening usually only after a few pre-quests not always obvious. For example some of the Blackrock quests had their prequests in Burning Steppes, some in Searing Gorge.
Alliance had a prequest in fucking Desolace to open up 2 quests for Scarlet Monastery on the other side of the damn world (Blue 1h sword reward!!!).

Azshara was void of quests compared to many other places, but still had a fair share as alliance, less for horde, ironically enough as it's near Orgrimarr. It had some quests related to Molten Core (vials from the water elemental to extinguish the flame marks inside MC after each boss).

Felwood was probably my favourite zone together with Azshara and Feralas in vanilla. These had an atmosphere I simply loved and those details, like the alliance base in Feralals being on an island and nearby there was a bigger island with high level elites on a plateau at the top of it, but it was almost impossible to climb over there without wall-walking or, again in Feralas being teleported above on the twin peaks and fishing up there in a small pond, with a vendor selling parachutes to get down.

In Vanilla WoW my levelling experience was so fucking awesome I did it several times and except a few pieces, I loved every single moment of each run I did. I think I had 7 level 60s by the end of vanilla.

It took me on average 10-12 days /played to get to 60 with a character as I always took the scenic route, formed groups to travel to the fuck-away dungeons with friends, making sure of getting all the quests before heading inside. I did also those long chains in and out of Uldaman, or Un'goro missing gnome quests (Linken) that made me travel back and forth between continents, all the quests in the swamp of sorrow for alliance (probably 10% of the population did them at that time) and so on and so forth up to and including those in Scholomance, where at some point you got an item to see and talk with the ghosts outside in the village.

Oh fuck I miss vanilla WoW now. /sadface

Merrith

Shit I forgot about all the Uldaman chains, that dungeon was fun as shit got a ton of upgrades out of there and was fun doing all those chains. I missed so many quests in Vanilla first time through on my hunter and I never played alts until the expansions came out. I think part of the reason I've never been back since Cata was because they re-did all of the old zones. As much as the night elves had some shitty starting zones compared to the other races, I'll always miss the atmosphere and feel of some of their later zones like Ashenvale/Feralas/Azshara/Felwood.

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Whenever i go into a stream playing Wildstar, the chats is almost 100% this game fucking sucks.

Never seen such a turnaround in hype before a launch.
I was really psyched for this. But the more I see, the more it looks like WoW with different animations/graphics setting and telegraphs.

Still gonna get it but no longer think it has a good shot at being something special.

Faddor_sl

shitlord
Video is good as always. Love their sense of humor.
Holy shit. I don't know the first fucking thing about this game, but without even loading up the video you linked and just looking at the preview, I am flabbergasted at what a copy paste of WoW that is. I mean....fuck. The characters, the architecture, the coloring, the armor, the blur.

ETA until "Why did Wildstar fail?" thread is spammed full of "it copy pasted WoW"?

Ill be buying also. But I can't help but feel the more I see of this game the more it looks like "A_Generic_MMORPG_08" but with telegraphs and the typical reskin.
Can either of you explain why you keep buying shit that looks pretty clearly to be bad, and looks very much like a game you both claim to not have liked? Do you have some masochistic desire to support shit with your money, leading to you getting some perverse pleasure out of getting to group-whine about how it was shit later, and how you knew it was coming from in the beta?

Serious question. Do you just not care in the slightest that your own purchases are the reason you are continually fed shit? Is it an inability to use logic on a wider than personal scale to see the cumulative effect of many actions like yours? Are you so desperate for entertainment you'd rather play a shitty game because it's in the "right" genre, rather than the multitude of cheaper and better games on Steam?

Before you flame me as a defense mechanism, be honest - we both know within a year you'll both be complaining about how this was just another WoW knock-off piece of shit. Why do you do it? You have the experience to know this is going to happen.

Malakriss

Appearance and gameplay are not the same thing. Since every company has been trying to disguise their lack of gameplay with fluffy, shiny graphics and the hope is that this game is the reverse. Cheezy WoW knock-off graphics with continuous content that isn't a "you can only do these 10 dailies" gate.

Why do you bash a game that hasn't even shown it's core gameplay in beta and is nowhere near release?