Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
When you guys say Action combat, is this on the level of DCUO? because that shit was crazy fun. If not, how does a half way action combat system really work. Sometimes you gotta move out of the fire, sometimes you don't?

When you guys say Action combat, is this on the level of DCUO? because that shit was crazy fun. If not, how does a half way action combat system really work. Sometimes you gotta move out of the fire, sometimes you don't?
if there was no NDA I could answer you with about 8 months of feedback.

iannis

Musty Nester
It's not to the level of DCUO. DCUO was if not the best at least one of the best Aracade MMO's i've played. The combat skin on that game WAS the game.

But to be fair you could cheese the entire DCUO system with a Naga. You'd see it in pvp, just how badly you could exploit DCUO's combo/counter system.

Which was a shame, because that system was easily the best thing about DCUO. Probably it's one contribution to the MMO genre. And that system was loads of fun to play without cheating.

Wildstar has more depth than that on the back end... but not, it's not full bore the way that DCUO was. It's not completely half-ass like you may think, either. You don't auto-target (like you did in DCUO).

Hey Tidbit, hows that ass cancer you got man?
I have surgery to remove my colon and lymph nodes on March 07,2014 then 5 weeks of rest then 6 months of chemo more of Xeloda chemo pill 2 weeks on 1 week off for the 6 months then hopefully cancer free after all that I pray.
I finished my phase 1 radation treatments and chemo on feb 15,2014.

thanks for asking mate.

I am antsy for the surgery, I just want to get it over with at this point.

its True, I am getting full stoma to much is infected for them to be to save a piece and do a reconnect at a later date.
On the bright side if I beat this cancer, I will be able to game without needing to leave to the bathroom, lol little dark humor there you can either laugh about the stoma or cry so I choose to make a joke about it.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Action combat wise, put it about 80-90% of Tera, whereas GW2 was about 40-50%.
That's pretty boss. I really enjoyed TERA's action combat. Having to put some skill into the fight was pretty refreshing.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Let's just hope that a small group of people at NCSoft have been heads-down translating Blade & Soul from Korean to English for the past two years. So as soon as this turd hits the water we can have something worth playing hosted in the US.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Aww, but they said it was 80-90% That's pretty close! Draegan, now you need to give me a key so I can figure out the exact percentage.
The exact percentage would be about the same as GW2. It's more or less the same, and you can see that from streams. Very few skills that require you to stand still, most of the skills are cooldown limited, some classes do have secondary ressources though(which doesn't make it close to Tera since there wasn't any of that other than Warrior weird combo point system shit). It's nothing like Tera, not sure how you'd get that comparison, it's closer to Tera than say WoW, but it's also closer to Tera than Eve or Minesweeper, doesn't really mean much.

I guess there's a bit less reliance on targetting than GW2, but it's still the same "aim in the general direction and hit anything close" because the hitboxes are gigantic and so are the aoes. To compensate for this, you cannot avoid white damage so it pulls the combat back in the other direction in that regard(reliance on defensive stats for tanking and stuff, I guess it's for the trinity, by making white dmg unavoidable you force people to use actual tank classes which mitigate that damage vs whoever can slot the most movement and invuln skills like in GW2). So yeah if GW2 is 50%, then Wildstar is also 50%. Or maybe 60% whatever. It's far from Tera, which for some people mind you, is a good thing.

They'll have stress test/open beta soonish I'm sure though. Game isn't that close to release but it's common practice to start stress test weekend many months before release since it lets you get a larger audience for feedback and people see progress during crunch time so they'll tend to be impressed by the patch notes/changes. I would expect march/april.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They've already had I think what 2 maybe 3 stress test already(cant remember exact number).

And imo, after playing both this and GW2 , this is a lot closer to Tera then GW2. Especially when it comes to dodging moves(whereas a lot of GW2s was just being "invul" during the roll) and a lot more "locked" on target abilities. I would love if this game had 2 game modes(one for reticule style play with Left/right mouse buttons as 2 abilities and you hit a key to bring up mouse cursor and then default style) like B&S allows.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
Action combat wise, put it about 80-90% of Tera, whereas GW2 was about 40-50%.
I never played tera, but if its anything like BnS uh... just no wildstar is no where fucking close cinge come on.

200ping BnS combat feels better....

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
BnS is actually above tera so far from what I've played. It's like a improved Tera.

The main difference between this game and those games is the reticule style play with LMB+RMB moves, combos and no telegraphs that show the "Area" of every ability, even though almost every move is AE in all these action games. Tera also had a animation lock(if you started a move had to wait till it was done before you could dodge), wildstar doesn't. Haven't tried in BnS yet.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Animation locks is what differentiates Tera's combat from everything else that's normally compared, not the fact you have to aim at things. Wow had aiming, albeit on a very small amount of abilities, but shit like cone of cold and shadowflame(I think?) and you had pbaes like frost nova and ground targetted aoes like flamestrike(mostly taking mage examples cause it was mostly for the mage). GW2 has soft aiming, you select a target and your shit goes towards the target, but hitting without a target would also work, on most skills, and the shit that was directly targetted could be avoided if it was a projectile of some sort(most were) or even melee attacks. Tera had a bit more aiming, but it also had stuff like lock on stuff. But overall it's not too different in that regard, it's obviously more than wow and a bit more than GW2 but similar to wildstar.

The main difference is in the animation locking. Animation locking gives weight to abilities, other than damage and cooldown. A slow animation needs to be aimed properly or set up with another ability because it can be heavily punished. A short animation does less damage but can be used to poke or in situations where time doesn't allow for a slow ability to be used safely. Some animations can be cancelled by other skills. Some animations involve forced movement meaning you can decide to use those both for damage and positionning at the same time. The combat is similar to fighting games where you don't just press Strong Punch over and over or even spam Hadokens all game because you will get punished by anyone smarter(or in the case of mobs, the fact they can just walk into your hadokens and not stagger or lose much health). This is supported by very tight hitboxes and very small aoes(other than aoes that are purposefully big like zerker whirlwind, which is full of issues like the fact it lasts forever, has a charge time and reduces your movement to shit). Most classes are in fact short range to emphasize the combat system. There's sorc and archer but both have a lot of medium/short range abilities and keeping your distance when you have to stop for spells and don't have 150 CC is obviously not always doable.

On the other hand, you have GW2 and Wildstar, with the "move while doing everything" combat. This is a floaty combat system, that is in many ways similar to the wow old system. You have to aim your shit sure, but that's about the only restrictions you have other than cooldowns. You look at your bar of skills and you always press the strongest skill that is available. There is no reason not to. Some skills do require you to stand still but they're pure "charge up" skills, they do more damage while trading movement, similar to the Tera style combat tradeoff, but they're few and far between and in a game where 90% of the skills can be cast while moving, casting something that doesn't let you move make you an easy target. In PvE that translates into having to move before you're doing channeling every fucking time because the fire is spawned quickly and often since most of the time you can move and fight at the same time. The difficulty layer comes from being able to move in the right spot at the right time, and not using your abilities correctly. Using your abilities correctly is as easy as setting up a mod that shows you the next highest priority ability you will have available, wow style(you know the one if you've played in late BC+ wow).

Regardless though it can be fulfilling and fun to play combat like GW2 or Wildstar and there's some good things about being able to move all the time, but it's in no way similar to Tera's combat.