Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
A lot of the hype reminds me of how people were reacting to Rift leading up to beta/release. A seemingly competent development group being pretty transparent with their features while looking to release something polished.

For me, I'm most impressed with the steps they're taking to appease certain niche groups. The community neckbeards get an option to turn off cross server group formations. The hardcore raiders get 40 mans with appropriate rewards. Housing is a big deal and warplots could be a different take on PVP.

I linked this a while back but this article on raids gives some insight on some of their design philosophy.

http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/ne...star_raids.php

I try and not get excited for games anymore as we've all been burned so many times, but I really can't help it in this case. Unless something nuts happens with FFXIV end game being amazing I'm pretty set on Wildstar being the next game I invest time into.

Revolutionary? Doesn't sound like it, but I envision something similar to Rift from an execution perspective with better features.

Ender4212

Golden Knight of the Realm
Warplots, housing if that's your thing, Action combat (similar to GW2), the humor, and the fact that these devs seem to get it moreso than others are a few things to draw people to this game over others I'd say.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
It also helps that there is no contender for being the next best thing. I mean look at the first page here. Firefall I know nothing about and 4 pages dont seem like anyone else does. EQN is confirmed to not give any info until late summer, and the thread about it is full of EQ nostalgia despite every little bit of info so far saying it is something very different. CU is a coin toss to get founded, much less amount to anything, Final Fantasy isnt even an actual new game but the remake of a failure. And finally we have TESO,the next AoC/WAR for all it seems, with a million sales and down to one server a month later (i know they dont have servers to judge it by - convenient!). Its not hard looking good next to that pile of rubbish.

Do we have any idea how the Wildstar team stands on monetizing the game? I cant really see myself paying a classic subscription model for a WoW remake, but I'd play it a bit here and there probably.

xzi

Mouthbreather
I'm very very interested in housing. I'm positive it has been posted but I have to post it again because it's cool as shit.

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
I don't know if they have clarified this... but when they mention that a friend can come and harvest your plots for you, and they get a portion of what is collect as a reward, is that portion taken out of what your plot yields, or is this reward in addition to what your plots yields?

Because if the bonus is "in addition to", then no one should ever harvest their own plots. People should just harvest each others stuff and that way both can net a reward.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I am going to assume it means "a portion of the total yeild", ie a split. Since the context they use it is if you are unable to get on and do it yourself, this way you don't lose the chance, and your friend gets something out of it also.

Lost Ranger_sl

shitlord
Yeah the housing looks fantastic. Not just a tacked on feature that turns out to be little more then a graphic. First time since UO that I have seen housing have some real purpose, and they have taken it quite a bit further then even that. Not only will it offer a SHIT LOAD of hours in gameplay for the rabid designers it also has tons of practical uses for the guys who just want to kill shit.

This is something that I hope we see more of in the future. Countless hours of game play and it isn't based around combat. That is how you make your game offer a richer experience and not just be all about collecting bear asses.

Edit: With all that said I will be very disappointed if housing is too easy/cheap to build. I have no problems with everyone getting a cheap shack early on for rested bonuses, but the big homes need to be costly/time consuming to get. More so then that though is the plug ins. Personal mines/gardens/smiths etc should all be time consuming/costly to make. If everyone has their own personal capitol city by level 10 then the accomplishment will be greatly diminished. Owning a large keep/castle with all the extras in UO was a cool status symbol.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
thought I saw a pic on their site that showed space combat, but it was only a brief look at their site.

Was likely wrong but then that honestly begs the question of why this game over other games of the same genre? Perhaps not over but alongside instead?

I mean I really don't want to bag on a game before it even releases but...

WoW Style graphics
Touting WoW devs on staff
History of WoW-esque trait games being lauded by the press only to shit on chest

Kinda why I asked if people could give me a TLDR why everyone seems to be brewing on this one. Like I understand Arche-age hype, the world is a completely open world with free flowing PVP and largescale enviornments and a vast sailable ocean complete with water battles. What's the hype for this game based on?

EDIT: Read the responses. I guess it isn't for me. Sounds interesting, but not THAT interesting for me, not yet.
IMO it's Vanilla WOW with all the current day WOW qualities of life + housing and pvp housing. Toss in upgraded graphics and few other new layers and other modern MMORPG tropings. It's really not hiding what it is. If you don't want a modern WOW but with more challenge to the raid game, then it's not really catering to you.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
A lot of the hype reminds me of how people were reacting to Rift leading up to beta/release. A seemingly competent development group being pretty transparent with their features while looking to release something polished.
I get the same vibe as well.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Ugh, fuck you all and this game. Why do MMOs have to be so fun? I swore off MMOs and Origin/EA, but it looks like I'm breaking one of those.

xzi

Mouthbreather
I definitely agree with the player-housing stuff, it needs to be very costly in my opinion, having something that's huge shouldn't really even be accessible to me even at max level, you need to farm for it. Of course that is my opinion though, but it would even more feel like something to work forward too as well if you wanted to only focus on having some bomb-ass hangout for your guildies or whatever.

xzi

Mouthbreather
I'm worried about 40 man raids, haha. Can people even function with that many people anymore srsly.

They've said they're adding 20man content as well, which is totally cool. I hope they do 40/20/10 and then dungeons. I really can't wait to get back into raiding though.

Lost Ranger_sl

shitlord
Not sure I'd like 3 different raid sizes. Just means they have to balance raid content they make x3. If that means content comes slower then I'd say can 20 man raiding. Make raids for big guilds, and little guilds. Medium sized guilds can figure it out from there.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Apparently a significant number of the Rift peoples went over to Wildstar? Someone really should have a playbook section of LinkedIn dedicated to who is working on what now.

xzi

Mouthbreather
They have people from all over the fucking place. WoW, Rift, City of Heroes, EQ2 and there's like two more big MMO's that they have devs from, it's kinda nuts. If this fails then I don't even want to bother with an mmo again.

Not sure I'd like 3 different raid sizes. Just means they have to balance raid content they make x3. If that means content comes slower then I'd say can 20 man raiding. Make raids for big guilds, and little guilds. Medium sized guilds can figure it out from there.
I agree mostly, if they do smaller content like 20/10 then it could rather simple to balance in some sorts. But for 40 why not go all out and make those raids ONLY 40? yknow?
I hope they talk more of them soon.

ixian_sl

shitlord
I noticed the dungeon lead's alias is Timetravel; I wonder if that's Timetravelling from EQ2, aka the guy responsible for the encounter pretty much everyone loved and looks back upon fondly even to this day, Roehn Theer.

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
I noticed the dungeon lead's alias is Timetravel; I wonder if that's Timetravelling from EQ2, aka the guy responsible for the encounter pretty much everyone loved and looks back upon fondly even to this day, Roehn Theer.
Brett Scheinert and yes it is as he's been with Carbine for about 2 years now.

Ryanz

<Banned>
Maybe it's just nostalgia of staying up all night raiding with my guild in a 40 man instance back in vanilla WoW, but I can't help but get excited over the notion. I wouldn't even be able to commit a third of the time I use to, but the idea of 40 man raid makes me happy none the less.