Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

BigDirty

Security Director of Crisis and Weather Management
<Bronze Donator>
They have people from all over the fucking place. WoW, Rift, City of Heroes, EQ2 and there's like two more big MMO's that they have devs from, it's kinda nuts. If this fails then I don't even want to bother with an mmo again.

I agree mostly, if they do smaller content like 20/10 then it could rather simple to balance in some sorts. But for 40 why not go all out and make those raids ONLY 40? yknow?
I hope they talk more of them soon.
From what i remember the raids are all separate , aka there is no 20 man version of the 40 man raids , and vice versa, completely different raids not just rebalanced for raid size

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
From what i remember the raids are all separate , aka there is no 20 man version of the 40 man raids , and vice versa, completely different raids not just rebalanced for raid size
Correct. They are very clear they don't want to have to try to balance something for 20 and 40.

xzi

Mouthbreather
Gooooood, that is fantastic news then. Even more content to do. I'm getting too excited for my own good probably, but I haven't actually been interested in raiding since the end of TBC

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Man, that art style sorta turns me off still but its exactly the art style that I'd expect WoW to have had it came out now. It will grow on me.

I think I read somewhere they aren't counting on 1 million plus subs and that they'd be profitable with much fewer subs. Its promising.

Draynar_sl

shitlord
Im just glad raids separate story from them. Raiders rarely care about lore. And lore nerds are not always raiders. Kinda made those two groups really annoyed to deal with each other. (Also game stories fucking suck when you have to keep have a more giant named enemy in the plot to fight) Power creep isnt' a pretty thing in game story lines cause of raiding.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
End game is 40 man and 20 man both seperate. Veteran dungeons (heroic) then solo adventures that are like chronicles from Rift.

earthfell

Golden Knight of the Realm
game stories suck because they don't hire quality writers, or they do hire quality writers but they get shut down during board room meetings because ceo dumbass wants a story he can sell to a 10 year old with asbergers

a good storyteller can navigate any obstacle

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Yeah the housing looks fantastic. Not just a tacked on feature that turns out to be little more then a graphic. First time since UO that I have seen housing have some real purpose, and they have taken it quite a bit further then even that. Not only will it offer a SHIT LOAD of hours in gameplay for the rabid designers it also has tons of practical uses for the guys who just want to kill shit.

This is something that I hope we see more of in the future. Countless hours of game play and it isn't based around combat. That is how you make your game offer a richer experience and not just be all about collecting bear asses.

Edit: With all that said I will be very disappointed if housing is too easy/cheap to build. I have no problems with everyone getting a cheap shack early on for rested bonuses, but the big homes need to be costly/time consuming to get. More so then that though is the plug ins. Personal mines/gardens/smiths etc should all be time consuming/costly to make. If everyone has their own personal capitol city by level 10 then the accomplishment will be greatly diminished. Owning a large keep/castle with all the extras in UO was a cool status symbol.
I definitely agree with the player-housing stuff, it needs to be very costly in my opinion, having something that's huge shouldn't really even be accessible to me even at max level, you need to farm for it. Of course that is my opinion though, but it would even more feel like something to work forward too as well if you wanted to only focus on having some bomb-ass hangout for your guildies or whatever.
I agree that housing needs many different "impossible" goals to stay interesting. Look at GW2 with their legendaries that were meant to take a year or longer. People just grinded it 24/7, flashed their credit card for the buyable parts and did it in 2 months. If housing is like that the people that play just for the housing will yell for more additions.

The same is true with all other playstyles as well, so one issue I see is even if they can deliver content for many different player types like the plan to, can they keep it up? People tend to say you cant keep up with player content consumption, but I dont think keeping up is impossible, Blizzard could've kept up easily if they had taken their revenue and investing it back into WoW instead of folding money hats. It does take good management and planning though, something that seems missing in the MMO genre.

Re: Trion/Rift - is having the same vibe as early Rift a good thing? I never got into it but from all the comments about Rift they threw out all their innovation in favor of making a stale WoW copy towards the end (due to Hartsman according to someone on this forum?).

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Re: rift
Yes it's a good thing. Everything you said was incorrect. Essentially Rift launched a game nearly flawlessly, with new technology, and had atema that was very open about development and worked quickly.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
The only thing Rift did along those lines was that commercial they released trying to distance themselves from WoW. I don't think any comments made by their team in regard to the actual game had anyone thinking it was anything but a polished WoW like game. I didn't and still don't feel burned by the release of Rift and to be honest if the guild I had been in during the first few months had not collapsed I'd probably still be playing.

There are definitely things I didn't like about the game as a whole and stuff that could have been done differently, but I think it's pretty safe to call the release of that game a success.

With Wildstar, I'm not saying "this game is the next Rift." I'm saying that their transparency and build up to release reminds me of Rift.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
IMO it's Vanilla WOW with all the current day WOW qualities of life + housing and pvp housing. Toss in upgraded graphics and few other new layers and other modern MMORPG tropings. It's really not hiding what it is. If you don't want a modern WOW but with more challenge to the raid game, then it's not really catering to you.
Does a game really need a more challenging raid game than WoW? WoW is pretty much the epitome of "challenge" in a PvE setting as it is, no? There's only so many APM you can realistically expect players to perform.

Unless you're saying it's suddenly more challenging because the raids involve 40 players instead of 20? That typically only makes a raid more challenging from a leader/logistics perspective. Mechanics wise, it usually makes it less challenging. 40 man raids in WoW were significantly easier than 20 and 20 was usually easier than 10(except during certain points in Wrath).

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Does a game really need a more challenging raid game than WoW? WoW is pretty much the epitome of "challenge" in a PvE setting as it is, no? There's only so many APM you can realistically expect players to perform.

Unless you're saying it's suddenly more challenging because the raids involve 40 players instead of 20? That typically only makes a raid more challenging from a leader/logistics perspective. Mechanics wise, it usually makes it less challenging. 40 man raids in WoW were significantly easier than 20 and 20 was usually easier than 10(except during certain points in Wrath).
It is sad when we look back and think WoW was challenging in any aspect.. my how times have changed...

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
WoW has easily had the most "challenging" PvE game to-date. You're being obtuse if you think otherwise.
Explain what you mean by challenging before I give you evidence to the contrary. We may be speaking around different definitions here.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
That depends on definition of challenge. I hear all too often "time spent" equated with challenge. Here's a hint: its not. I can do the average engineering problem in a half hour out of a textbook. I could write a paper on the implications of Grecian architecture styles in antiqiuty in maybe 5 hours. Which was more challenging and which did I BS for a man-hater prof in college?

Lost Ranger_sl

shitlord
If Kirun was talking about PVE in general I would disagree with him as well. He was referring to the raid game though and that seriously isn't debatable. Doing cutting edge hard modes (before the nerfs come rolling in) is some brutal shit. It is VERY different from the rest of the game which I think most admit is very easy.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider

Smaller raids means less people to screw up and cause a wipe. Given the same mechanics and proper scaling, the larger the raid is the more difficult it will be

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
I raided in WoW vanilla quite a bit... However my prior raiding experience came from a top raiding guild in EQ2 ( through Kingdom of Sky ) which was much more difficult in my opinion. There were 2 main reasons for this. There was more preparation required for mobs ( different resist gear required, different weapons required etc ) add in the fact that when i was in a 40 man i felt like a number and my performance was less critical. Also, it seemed the margin of error in eq2 raiding back then was very small.. very few guilds could take down raid content at all... mostly per server there were 1-3 guilds tops that could actually take down targets.