Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

Del

Vyemm Raider
Had a really hard time getting into this game. I had to force myself to keep playing just to get off the arc ship. The combat is boring , the quests are boring,the world seems boring too. From what I hear nothing really changes either. It's a shame because i really love the characters but for some reason as soon as i start playing I just feel like i'm forcing myself to try to enjoy it. I went from probably going to pre-order to probably not going to waste my time with this. I think Tera's combat system has completely ruined me from being able to tolerate other mmo's. I just can't do tab target anymore, it just seems so backwards now and completely un fun.
Great, because Wildstar isn't tab target combat. Sounds like you played this for a grand total of 1 hour. Thanks for the impressions.

Zionmaster_sl

shitlord
Great, because Wildstar isn't tab target combat. Sounds like you played this for a grand total of 1 hour. Thanks for the impressions.
Ok fanboi you know what i mean. It's basically stand there and press 12345 combat. You don't even have to move from the telegraphs another bullshit system. It's like this game was made for 5 years olds or the "my very first mmo" crowd. Also although i did play for more than an "hour" if your game doesn't grab me and make me want to keep playing within that first hour that game has failed.

mrmoneda_sl

shitlord
I don't think I'd count Wildstar among the "action combat" MMOs. If you interact with an object in the world that spawns an enemy NPC, and you turn to that NPC and press a hotkey there's a significant chance you'll get a message stating you can't attack your current target, because the game didn't automatically deselect the world object. That shouldn't happen if your abilities are "free form."

Zionmaster_sl

shitlord
that might be true for the early levels, later on not dodging will destroy you
I'm sure this is true I have watched videos of later gameplay but my opinion still stands that the combat is boring and uninspired. Others may enjoy it good for them i guess. I find it lackluster and it completely turns me off.

Binkles_sl

shitlord
The questing is a valid complaint. It reminds me of TBC-era crap that doesn't immerse you in an interesting story as you binge your way to max level. The shiphand mission are much better, but I'll likely only do all the quests on one character and rely on BGs to level up subsequent alts.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
Ok fanboi you know what i mean. It's basically stand there and press 12345 combat. You don't even have to move from the telegraphs another bullshit system.
I'm not a fanboi, I think the game is typical, nothing at all special about it but it's far from stand there and press. As someone who plays FFXIV and knows what 'stand there and press 12345' combat is, you're pretty wrong on this. If you're talking one mob sure, but you're not going to do this all day.

asfastasican_sl

shitlord
While I agree with both of you, I have to acknowledge what he's saying about Tera. For me Tera combat was great and also SWTOR's companion system kinda ruined other mmo's for me. I honestly think some sort of companion system should be used in every mmo's. Even games like EQ1 are soooo much better with npc mercs that can fill roles in case real people aren't around. Plus the companions added more content and story on top of everything else. It makes you feel a little less lonely during the level grind. Bot buddies 4 lyfe, bro!

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't think I'd count Wildstar among the "action combat" MMOs. If you interact with an object in the world that spawns an enemy NPC, and you turn to that NPC and press a hotkey there's a significant chance you'll get a message stating you can't attack your current target, because the game didn't automatically deselect the world object. That shouldn't happen if your abilities are "free form."
Just tested this. I had no problem. I could have a object selected, a guard, a vendor any NPC, no targets at all. It didn't matter, moves still went through. Obviously not counting the few abilities that require a target.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
Ok fanboi you know what i mean. It's basically stand there and press 12345 combat. You don't even have to move from the telegraphs another bullshit system. It's like this game was made for 5 years olds or the "my very first mmo" crowd. Also although i did play for more than an "hour" if your game doesn't grab me and make me want to keep playing within that first hour that game has failed.
no bro this game is totally 100% full action combat, get with the times~_~_~!!@!_!

Helldiver

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Tried the Stalker today. I'm liking it. Kind of wish the Spellslinger had similar DPS, but beggars can't be pickers.

The Dominion story seems better and more thought out than token good guys. At least I feel like I have a purpose for doing what I'm doing. Not that you'd play this game for its story.

FYI, my weekend beta characters were still there even though they weren't level 17 or 32 (one's 7 the other is level 11). I purchased the pre-release standard edition.

So I guess if you were in the last weekend beta test and buy the pre release your previous weekend characters are still there?

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Game is pretty boring so far but it is really well made. Being too WoW-like is the major turnoff but it never tried to hide this. It is far superior to ESO in important aspects though(actually works well). After playing both the past few weekends, I'm really shocked that ESO is going to be released in a few weeks because it isn't close to as polished right now as this game. Neither game will be played from launch for me but this is the only game I'd pay a sub for. Only about a 3 month sub but nonetheless...

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Game is pretty boring so far but it is really well made. Being too WoW-like is the major turnoff but it never tried to hide this. It is far superior to ESO in important aspects though(actually works well). After playing both the past few weekends, I'm really shocked that ESO is going to be released in a few weeks because it isn't close to as polished right now as this game. Neither game will be played from launch for me but this is the only game I'd pay a sub for. Only about a 3 month sub but nonetheless...
This is pretty much how I feel after trying WS for the first time. Maybe it will get less boring as I advance in levels/skill.

Another thing is the setting/lore really does nothing for me. I have a preference for fantasy or "traditional sci-fi" I guess but WS setting/environments just seem really gimmicky. Wacky/zany "comedic" setting in an mmo seems retarded after experiencing it.

I just feel really depressed at the state of mmos after playing the two big launches of 2014. The best one has worse graphics then decade old eq2, along with gameplay that is essentially wow with a few bells and whistles but less polished.

asfastasican_sl

shitlord
The housing is a blast. Finding cool decor and adding challenges to your property adds some interesting side content. Plus being able to invest and upgrade shit gives you another thing to do to outdo your friends and make them jealous over virtual property.

My one esper healer friend is mad because I have a jumping puzzle on my property but I forgot where or how I got the fabkit for it because he wants one. So corny... but sooo good.

iannis

Musty Nester
The housing is pretty easily the best thing about Wildstar. I cannot say enough good things about their housing.

There's not quite as much depth as you might wish, but there is plenty of depth. There are a couple of things stopping it from being perfect like those seemingly arbitrary deadspace plot outlines, but it's easily better than anything I've played since EQ2. And really, it's better than EQ2 housing. The interface is easier.

It was a pleasant surprise. I wasn't expecting wildstar housing to be of much account from the trailers. They retooled housing TOO. It used to be hookpoints instead of freeform.

That was a wise retool and a wise use of time.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah one thing you will want to do come launch, is group as much as possible. The renown vendor has so much and housing uses a ton of renown.

asfastasican_sl

shitlord
Well the rest of the game is growing on me slowly other than the housing. There are are only a few minor bugs here and there so I can keep going. There are just too many quests so people complaining about the game being too bland are suffering from Carbine deciding to go with quantity over quality as far as the grind goes. You need an aquired taste and pick the right class you enjoy and just stick with it. Plus the game is 3x better with a leveling partner for numerius reasons. Getting renown is one of them.

The thrown-together pvp and the lack of replayability playing through alts will ultimately kill this game, if anything.

EDIT - Btw, our server has some massive lag issues yesterday afternoon. I have no clue what caused the lag or if it was population related, but they fixed that shit pretty quickly. Maybe it wasn't even a big deal but that scored major points with me with how they responded to it so fast.