Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

Treesong

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Yup if they make you buy keys for them they will just end up like black lion chests. That sell for 1 or 2 copper on the AH and only ever get opened when I happen to run across a quest or monthly that spits a key out not like anybody not opening up black lion chests is missing out on much.
This, the stupid Forge that you have to throw a billion yellows in to maybe get something better, and the overall boring itemizaton made me quit GW2 soon after I became level 80.

Such a pity, I really liked the gameworld and a lot of other things. I keep wanting to go back, but as soon as I open up my inventory and see an entire knapsack full of colorful but completely useless crap, I log out again. So I go back to Everquest and spend 4 evenings of playing to get a +35 AC aug, through a serie of quests.

velk

Trakanon Raider
Considering the poor support for crafting, it would not be an unfair advantage.
I tried a bit of crafting in the beta weekend, it looks like they doubled down on the make it painful, make it hard, make it annoying qualities - 2 hours of farming got enough basic mats to drain all my accumulated funds with required bought materials and get 1/3 of a bar into level 1 weaponsmith. I did get to make a level 10 sword that was a questionable sidegrade from the level 5 rare sword everyone gets ;p

I was briefly hopeful at the suggestion of work orders, but they are of the 'bring your own mats, we pay you 1/10th of what they are worth as a reward !' variety. They also appear to be sucking the dick of the wow 'player economy lool !' thought process, with choice of 2 skills out of all gather + craft skills.

odekthal_sl

shitlord
I was briefly hopeful at the suggestion of work orders, but they are of the 'bring your own mats, we pay you 1/10th of what they are worth as a reward !' variety. They also appear to be sucking the dick of the wow 'player economy lool !' thought process, with choice of 2 skills out of all gather + craft skills.
the crafting daylies are mostly to accumulate points to buy recipes. tho i can't say i'm impressed with what they offer. at the moment it's too easy/way cheaper to get better items from drops/through rep to make crafting worthwhile. i hope they already have some rebalancing lined up for crafting :/

you can only have 2 professions active at once but they let you switch to another set of professions for some gold and you keep your progress in your previous ones.

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
A couple of friends and I have been looking at this one on and off. I am not a fan of playing beta's anymore for games I want to play at launch. Since I am debating playing this one at launch I haven't used my beta key.

For those playing it (since I don't want to go through 103 pages) what do you enjoy about Wildstar?
Why are you enjoying this over the last MMO you played and liked?

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
the crafting daylies are mostly to accumulate points to buy recipes. tho i can't say i'm impressed with what they offer. at the moment it's too easy/way cheaper to get better items from drops/through rep to make crafting worthwhile. i hope they already have some rebalancing lined up for crafting :/

you can only have 2 professions active at once but they let you switch to another set of professions for some gold and you keep your progress in your previous ones.
Unfortunately this is sort of normal for MMO. Crafting unless you are really going nuts with it at the very start of the game rarely makes any money or is even useful at all until max level because it never keeps pace with the rate you level and for the cost of the crafting you can usually just buy stuff cheap on the auction house of some other poor schulump who is banging away at the crafting probably for a fraction of what it cost them as they are just trying to recoup some cash.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
I played the medic to 12 last weekend but just could not get over how goofy the resonators looked while "sheathed". They look like giant mechanical wings sticking out of my back. I'm going to try esper next beta weekend.
Ya I am not sure about the defibrlators of death look for the resonators but my god I was having some fun healing in pvp with my medic. It was like the good old days of rejuve druids in pvp where you could just dance around tanking half their team while dubstepping.

the directional aoes were very effective for PVP usage and a lot easier than trying to click target people and try to figure out if they are actually in range or not especially given peoples name plates were acting super flakey for me all weekend it was really intermittent if I could see them or not.

Dejoblue_sl

shitlord
Playing one now. The bots getting stuck on elevators and behind rocks so they "can't see" is a problem. Dismissing them and resummoning doesn't work because the skill on the bar doesn't change out (to 'summon' instead of 'attack').

The only way I've seen to fix it after your pets get stuck is to relog. It's the one thing that's making me reconsider it at launch. Sure they'll probably work out the pathing issues down the line, but there might be a lot of pain before then.

I do like the class though.

edit: Why do they make us fight over gathering materials? Is this 2004 all over again? You see a node on your minimap, run over there to get it and some other guy is vacuuming it up. I don't mind that they copied WoW but damn.. do they have to take the shitty stuff too?
Loving this class too. Tough choice between this and Stalker as a MT tho.

As for the stuck bug. I found that hoping on and then off the hoverboard dismisses them quickly and resets the ability to summon them.

asfastasican_sl

shitlord
I tried a bit of crafting in the beta weekend, it looks like they doubled down on the make it painful, make it hard, make it annoying qualities - 2 hours of farming got enough basic mats to drain all my accumulated funds with required bought materials and get 1/3 of a bar into level 1 weaponsmith. I did get to make a level 10 sword that was a questionable sidegrade from the level 5 rare sword everyone gets ;p

The crafting was casual and fun for me. If you casually harvest resources as you quest and grind, and salvage a good amount of vendor trash, you should be fine. I've used crafted weapons almost the entire time from 12-17 and I'm able to make lv 29 weapons atm. I really don't know what more you could want from a crafting system tbh. If you are judging the crafting in this game solely based on lv 10 crafted items, then all you are going to get out of me is "WTF?"

As far as weapon crafting goes, most everything you can make is useful as you level AND it only takes a small amount of effort to teach yourself how to make weapons for other classes. Plus you can customize your item's god damned stats. I mean come on, that's pretty convenient and simple. Also, if you don't want to learn how to make claws, don't make claws. If you want to learn how to make everything, take a little time to learn everything. I personally like the tech tree system. It's somewhat more interesting than "Hey you are 250 at blacksmithing now, dump money to learn all of these crappy recipes or just be a boring asshole and buy the best grinding recipe."

Was GW2's crafting more well thought out and better designed? Maybe. Do I give a shit? Nope!

As for the stuck bug. I found that hoping on and then off the hoverboard dismisses them quickly and resets the ability to summon them.
Your life is hard. Choosing between OP and OP is tough stuff. The struggle is real.
smile.png

I think I'll stick with spellslinger even though I hear their raid dps is the worst atm. I like being the underdog sometimes.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord

I don't think you get a hoverboard until after 17? Not sure because I only hit 15.

If so, that's not really an option for most people and they need to fix that pathing asap because if all the betas don't let people past 17 unless they've played before like this last session, that doesn't do much good from an impression standpoint for people to properly test the character out as far as dependability.

asfastasican_sl

shitlord
I don't think you get a hoverboard until after 17? Not sure because I only hit 15.

If so, that's not really an option for most people and they need to fix that pathing asap because if all the betas don't let people past 17 unless they've played before like this last session, that doesn't do much good from an impression standpoint for people to properly test the character out as far as dependability.
We got hoverboards during the closed beta weekends but I dont think they mail you them anymore at lv 10.

velk

Trakanon Raider
The crafting was casual and fun for me. If you casually harvest resources as you quest and grind, and salvage a good amount of vendor trash, you should be fine. I've used crafted weapons almost the entire time from 12-17 and I'm able to make lv 29 weapons atm.
Was that last beta weekend or before ? Because I can't see how that's possible - level 2 weaponsmith was 2000xp, crafting an item used 6 ore and gave 50xp, completing a tech tree node required 3 items and 200xp, work orders required 3 items and gave 200xp. Normal nodes gave 4-5 ore and were widely spaced and relatively rare.

Is there some casual friendly mechanic that I missed ?

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
Was that last beta weekend or before ? Because I can't see how that's possible - level 2 weaponsmith was 2000xp, crafting an item used 6 ore and gave 50xp, completing a tech tree node required 3 items and 200xp, work orders required 3 items and gave 200xp. Normal nodes gave 4-5 ore and were widely spaced and relatively rare.

Those nodes weren't rare, at least the ones I saw, but the problem was Carbine makes us fight over nodes like animals. You see a node on your minimap, and chances are it's gone before you get there.. or you'll be picking it and some mob hits you and then it's ruined if you've started mining. Have no idea why someone at Carbine thought this was a good idea.. in 2014, for a mass casual mmo. Even FFXIV everyone can mine the same nodes on a map without fighting.

There was ore I got from breaking down weapons and my old Engie gear though, and I think a mob may have dropped some. I know as far as cloth, I had about three stacks full of cloth by the time I hit 15.

I'm thinking the best way to work it is pick Armorsmithing or Weaponsmithing (either one), choose mining, and then just sell all the cloth on an auction house... or pick a medium armor class, make those armorings, still pick mining and sell the ore. Leaning more towards doing the latter since people will get lots of easy cloth just from leveling, so that should be dirt cheap.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Cloth is super easy. Humanoids drop plain white armor likes its raining and you can salvage it all.

As for as sharing nodes, it will be quite fun on pvp servers :p

Also remember you can attack nodes and just loot them, instead of having to do the "gathering" animation. Even though I think its hilarious when I whip out my giant futuristic chainsaw to chop a tree down.

Helldiver

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Damn I hate to admit this but I'm actually digging the game. I think the Stalker sold me. I know I'll probably quit around the end of the first month since usually this sort of thing only holds my attention for so long. I'm the fancy-pansy RPer and story type, so I can tell this probably won't provide that fix. But I'm liking the action combat aspect of it. Personally wouldn't mind TTK being a bit shorter, but that's just me.

Haven't done the dungeons yet (busy last weekend) and I still have to get the combos down but I'm definitely digging it since it doesn't animation lock me like Tera did. At least on the Stalker I can keep moving, dodging, and rolling while casting most of my stuff. The spellslinger locks up during its big shot thing. Kind of wish it was as fluid as the stalker.

asfastasican_sl

shitlord
I think its a number of factors.

- I didn't play all of the time on my main but I did play him since the stress test weekend (3 weekends.)

- I'm a spellslinger and cloth seems to drop like candy like the above poster said. You can salvage them for cores or vendor them for money to spend on tradeskills.

- My main is an exile so i was in algoroc. The whole theme of the zone is "mining industry" so maybe there are more nodes than usual.

- Maybe my server is less population on Cassus exile side. I don't find myself fighting over nodes at all.

WageSlave

Golden Knight of the Realm
Anyone know if there is a way to make your camera rotate without holding down the right mouse button? Kind of like how it is done in Tera? I would love to be able to reassign my right mouse button to another ability.

iannis

Musty Nester
Those nodes weren't rare, at least the ones I saw, but the problem was Carbine makes us fight over nodes like animals. You see a node on your minimap, and chances are it's gone before you get there.. or you'll be picking it and some mob hits you and then it's ruined if you've started mining. Have no idea why someone at Carbine thought this was a good idea.. in 2014, for a mass casual mmo. Even FFXIV everyone can mine the same nodes on a map without fighting.

There was ore I got from breaking down weapons and my old Engie gear though, and I think a mob may have dropped some. I know as far as cloth, I had about three stacks full of cloth by the time I hit 15.

I'm thinking the best way to work it is pick Armorsmithing or Weaponsmithing (either one), choose mining, and then just sell all the cloth on an auction house... or pick a medium armor class, make those armorings, still pick mining and sell the ore. Leaning more towards doing the latter since people will get lots of easy cloth just from leveling, so that should be dirt cheap.
If you salvage what you craft you can make it through the armor/weaponsmith tiers with around 1.5 stacks of ore.

Beyond the initial release wave the gathering money is going to be in certain plants. I forget the names of them. Check the techno/architect recips. It's 2 plant types per tier. They're absolutely hideous to farm in the open map because of the way those farming nodes work, they're timelocked to grow in your garden plug, and you need them in bulk. If not enough people go the relic/techno route eldan doohickeys will also be pretty much easy to corner/exploitable.

Basically the daytraders are going to ruin carbines butthole and there are going to be whine threads about AH exploitation. I'd expect some really heavyhanded crap for the first few weeks as its happening.

Dejoblue_sl

shitlord
The crafting was casual and fun for me. If you casually harvest resources as you quest and grind, and salvage a good amount of vendor trash, you should be fine. I've used crafted weapons almost the entire time from 12-17 and I'm able to make lv 29 weapons atm. I really don't know what more you could want from a crafting system tbh. If you are judging the crafting in this game solely based on lv 10 crafted items, then all you are going to get out of me is "WTF?"

As far as weapon crafting goes, most everything you can make is useful as you level AND it only takes a small amount of effort to teach yourself how to make weapons for other classes. Plus you can customize your item's god damned stats. I mean come on, that's pretty convenient and simple. Also, if you don't want to learn how to make claws, don't make claws. If you want to learn how to make everything, take a little time to learn everything. I personally like the tech tree system. It's somewhat more interesting than "Hey you are 250 at blacksmithing now, dump money to learn all of these crappy recipes or just be a boring asshole and buy the best grinding recipe."

Was GW2's crafting more well thought out and better designed? Maybe. Do I give a shit? Nope!

Your life is hard. Choosing between OP and OP is tough stuff. The struggle is real.
smile.png

I think I'll stick with spellslinger even though I hear their raid dps is the worst atm. I like being the underdog sometimes.
HAHA
tongue.png

I REALLY want to play Warrior as MT but holy shit balls is it boring as fuck!

Dejoblue_sl

shitlord

If you got to level 10 in beta before last weekend's beta then you got mailed a hoverboard and can still use it. You get ground mounts flag at level 15 and can head to Illium or Thayd and buy a mount for 10G and change or a hoverboard for 23G and change.

Attachment 63558

But yea it is pretty annoying even if you have a board and can reset it :/