Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
All of the current organization (that I've seen) is on Dominion side. It looks like 50+ people are set to go Dominion. That being said, the poll up top shows a bunch going Exile as well, and several people have stated they will be going Exile no matter what.

So, we expect there will be people from the boards playing both sides, however, the Dominion side seems to be the more organized/more active choice by far. See the Spreadsheet -Sin Filled Afterlife - Google Sheets
We just haven't had a volunteer to run the Exile guild side like we did dominion. Interested?

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
What classes have you enjoyed the most in other mmo's and what role?
My favorites were probably warlock and shaman in WoW. I only played a Paladin in EQ, played a blaster in CoH. I like support and blowing shit up mostly. I played a tank for years in WoW and have no desire to ever do that again.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
My favorites were probably warlock and shaman in WoW. I only played a Paladin in EQ, played a blaster in CoH. I like support and blowing shit up mostly. I played a tank for years in WoW and have no desire to ever do that again.
So you should choose from Engineer or Esper imo.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Ifyou want to heal and dps go Esper, if you want to just dps go Engy.

Fucking Draegan sniped me.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Is there a good write-up somewhere on the classes? I have found some stuff but nothing really definitive.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Is there a good write-up somewhere on the classes? I have found some stuff but nothing really definitive.
There is a lot of generic writeups that really don't really do anything other than link videos and re-write what is on the official page. You're best bet is to read the few "hot" threads on the official forums to get an idea of the class.

Here's a quick breakdown from my limited POV:

Engineer - Heavy Armor, Ranged Weapons, Tank & DPS, Pet Class (2 pets at once), Resource is a Overheat kind of system. Uses guns and shit. Pretty damn popular.

Esper - Light Armor, Ranged Weapons, DPS & Healing, Temp Pet Class, can proc summons etc that do damage and healing, a stationary based DPS class and not very mobile in a raid setting. Least popular class. Probably the most underdeveloped of all the classes. It'll probably get the biggest list of "fixes" or "balances" in the first two months. It's essentially an illusionist.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I used to hate girls when I was 7yrs old, now I cant get enough. Same concept.
Pzmrdvb.png

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
So anyone else want to have the conversation about class choice? I'm pretty much hung up on Warrior or Esper. Tank or Healer. Warrior seems like a pretty stable choice for DPS and group buffs and tanking (assuming the thread was fixed) but people report gameplay is pretty yawnworthy. Or do I go Esper, really fun visual class with a boring point system, and an admittedly broken dps rotation?

Choices.Choices.

I had the most fun with an Esper during beta which is the only reason why I have this dilemma. But I never played a Warrior either.
Warrior is fun once you get leveled up a bit. The current incarnation is problematic because it's still designed around a spammable kinetic energy spender, when in fact they have been given 6 second cooldowns. So all the specials give kinetic even though you don't need it, which makes them net dps/threat losses when compared to spamming your default ability. This leads to three button rotations rather than a more fluid skill order where you emphasize building KE. A lof of tank builds don't even run a spender now, just get to max KE and sit there for the buffs spamming 1 and using mobility skills/cooldowns to avoid damage. Really wish the warrior lead was as open as the Stalker lead in at least acknowledging the situation at hand and talking about the path forward. Also warrior single target in dps builds is pretty broken right now, and it's entirely possible there will be a wideranging nerf to overcompensate that may hurt their questionable threat generation.

Esper is the least mobile class and also has annoying(but powerful) bonus point builder randomized mechanics that end up being pointless if they don't proc on the first one or two casts of your builder(BINGO). But they do tons of damage and healing, and I've been told they have far less focus(mana) issues than the other two healers. Right now according to most the Medic is unplayable as a healing class due to that focus problem.

The class in the best spot right now is probably the engineer or Stalker from what I can gather. Stalker is in line for an AE damage buff too.

I'm going warrior because someone else in my group is going engineer and I like the playstyle. Stealthing is for wankers.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Engineer feels a lot like a WoW hunter to me except you tank instead of your pet and you use your pet to interrupt/stun/take aggro for a short while so you can continue to dps. You aren't as mobile as a WoW hunter but you are in heavy armor and all your abilities are AoE so you should never be pulling 1 mob at a time.

Esper class feels somewhat like a dot based warlock except not. You queue up lots of damage and then BAM creature goes from 100%-0%.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Reading up on Esper I think I may go with that, although I am a little hesitant based on the comments from some people about them being underdeveloped.