Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

Binkles_sl

shitlord
Fucking casuals win again, another MMO ruined!
Frankly, I was surprised the MMO was still alive. Fun combat, but everything else seemed poorly executed. I was happy they added an additional battleground. Unfortunately, it was boring. Raiding may have been fun, except you need to keep 20-40 people interested in the game, which is beyond their level of execution.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
So basically every key selling point to the game failed? I wouldn't mind checking it out again if it goes f2p. No way I'd pay to play it ever again until I see it'd be worth it.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
I think I made it to level 30'ish as a Medic and 25'ish as a Warrior. The entire time I was in denial telling myself I was having a blast when I can't say it was really that enjoyable. Then I woke up, called myself an asshole, and went to unsub.
I'm running an i5 2500k, 560ti, and 8gb of ram. Not a super computer by any means respectable and it still plays games perfectly well. I can't think of 1 time that I was able to run through any part of Thayd without chopping my way through at 5-10fps. It'd completely freeze if there were any people around. Gameplay aside the game just runs (or ran. I don't know if they addressed it much) like complete shit.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
At this point no one wants WoW to die, let all the people who enjoy "that" stay right there and make something better for the rest of us.

WS definitely wasn't it, though.

Xevy

Log Wizard
I stopped playing WS when the mega servers happened. A lot of people quit for WoD. I didn't feel like getting meshed into a super poopsocker guild to do 40 mans. This game going F2P would be pretty sweet. Still the best combat I've ever had in an MMO. Only PVE I enjoyed because it was challenging if you didn't mega cheese it. I played AA for a bit and couldn't enjoy it 20% as much as WS because the combat is so dated.

Waited for this to go F2P or a non-korean-shiny-armor-bikini-garbage game to adopt similar combat and I'll play that.

Edit: If I'm reading that right, they're still working on last boss of Datascape? Say what you will but this shit is the anti-WoW, anti-Destiny MMO. Content isn't cleared ASAP, and I liked that.

Stave

Potato del Grande
Wildstar and TESO were the final nails in the MMO coffin until someone digs it up and redoes the genre in about 20 years.

TheYanger

Bronze Knight of the Realm
To be completely clear, the server guild died, and so a lot of us took that time to just go back to wow. I know at least hte 5 or 6 people I came in with did. WoD was in beta and was fucking good, and WS was dying. The game was still a lot of fun but there's only so much of doing the same one raid over and over I can handle. (somewhat ironically, siege of orgrimmar is what made me want to play WS in the first place).

spronk

FPS noob
NCSoft released sales numbers for 2014
IR Archive

Wildstar dropped from 16B won in Q3 to 5.5B won in Q4, which is around $5m USD. Thats between 70-100k subs depending on how many paid $15 or $20, assuming minimal new box sales and revenues declined month to month.

Hard to see any happy endings hear, NCSoft is unlikely to bring this game to Korea/China (their main region of revenue) and I doubt a conversion to f2p will have a big impact. A drop of 65% in revenue in the holiday quarter means its probably going to keep dropping too.

If they can halt the sub drops and stabilize maybe $10-15m/year would be enough to keep it a niche studio in NCSoft, but I'd bet a high probability on Carbine and Wildstar being shut down this year.

Stave

Potato del Grande
NCSoft released sales numbers for 2014
IR Archive

Wildstar dropped from 16B won in Q3 to 5.5B won in Q4, which is around $5m USD. Thats between 70-100k subs depending on how many paid $15 or $20, assuming minimal new box sales and revenues declined month to month.

Hard to see any happy endings hear, NCSoft is unlikely to bring this game to Korea/China (their main region of revenue) and I doubt a conversion to f2p will have a big impact. A drop of 65% in revenue in the holiday quarter means its probably going to keep dropping too.

If they can halt the sub drops and stabilize maybe $10-15m/year would be enough to keep it a niche studio in NCSoft, but I'd bet a high probability on Carbine and Wildstar being shut down this year.
It's sad to see this, because the base of the game was a damn good world/atmosphere, but they made sooooo many bad decisions. Too bad they wont go an FFXIV route and redo it. They have a good enough foundation. I had actually thought about resubbing for a month, just because I enjoyed the world so much and combat was fresh, but no point now if they are probably going to shut the doors soon and will probably halt new content.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
I'm sad that they essentially failed; I feel bad for the devs that were very clearly passionate about their game.

I do, however, think that its an important lesson to be learned: you cannot make a big-budget game to cater to the top 10 percent.

Wildstar's blatant disregard for the casual was their downfall, and I think everyone was watching to see how it'd play out and now we know.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
I love my posts in this thread. Hopefully the timestamps come across.

Let's just hope that a small group of people at NCSoft have been heads-down translating Blade & Soul from Korean to English for the past two years. So as soon as this turd hits the water we can have something worth playing hosted in the US.
I made it about 15 minutes in this before quitting out. I doubt I'll ever return.

Here's the summary:

I actually set up boot camp to try this open beta. I had to fsck the hard disk before it would let me shrink the partition to create the windows partition.
I spent more time getting boot camp setup than actually playing the game.
If you count DSO and M59 (and exclude Yserbius for some reason) I've been playing these kind of games for almost 20 years.
The tutorial is insulting. Just insulting. Do we really need a tutorial to move and not stand in the red shit?! There are millions and millions of people who have played WoW.
Your tutorial should be replaced entirely with a simple Y/N question. Have you played a MMO before? If N then open a fucking PDF that says "use wasd to move. Also don't stand in the red shit."
I can sprint for a longer amount of time in real life than my character in this game can sprint. THAT'S NOT A SAYING I CAN SPRINT VERY FAR, EITHER.
What on earth are they doing with the combat system? Why is my '1' ability on my Stalker not a left mouse button ability. I have to click it SO FUCKING OFTEN there's no way it should be an action key. The proposed control scheme is absurd.

velk

Trakanon Raider
I'm sad that they essentially failed; I feel bad for the devs that were very clearly passionate about their game.

I do, however, think that its an important lesson to be learned: you cannot make a big-budget game to cater to the top 10 percent.
Was there really anyone who still didn't realise that the casuals pay all the bills ? ;p