Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Nono, you see, Wildstar transcended the Casual/Hardcore split! There is no 99%/1%! Only the 100% and the 0%! Because even the 1% couldn't actually beat half their over-tuned raid content! Democratization of MMOs through denial of content!

Stave

Potato del Grande
Even if I had the time to be the 1% again, I still wouldn't have played Wildstar.
Exactly. Wildstar was built as a casual style game from the beginning, and then they decided to crank it up to 11 difficulty and add a ton of cockblocks to try to make it hardcore. So in the end, the casuals hated it because it was too frustrating and hard, and the hardcores hated it because it was just another casual game that was harder, had more cockblocks, and no casuals to show off their epeens too.

I do have to wonder who the fucker is, who obviously fairly late in the game, came in to the board meeting and said "guyz I have the best idea ever... we need to change the game to hardcore as fuck." I'd love to hear the conversation at that meeting. And that asshat needs to be ejected from the MMO industry.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Or who they polled that said they favored a return to 40 man raiding with strict tough attunements.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
10 day coupon in my email! I liked the game, but not enough to reinstall and play.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Dang no coupon in my email. I'd actually give it a try again if they sent me one. I probably wouldn't last the full 10 days though.

Noahx

N00b
I'm installing again to see how end game plays for a few days. I was always excited for them to release the lvl 50 shiphand content. The changes to medals in dungeons seem pretty smart.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Ok so you don't need the email for the 10 day trial. It looks like they've given all previous subscribers a 10 day trial. It'll be under your account info when you log on to the Wildstar site.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Well I was having some fun until I went into Thayd. What a shitshow that place still is. It's an exercise in frustration trying to get through that place with the slide show frame rate there.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I was typing up some thoughts on PAX East and how the show this year seemed 'lessened' compared to previous years and was looking through the stuff I had gathered at the previous two years worth of shows and suddenly realized that Wildstar existed. I had actually completely forgotten about this game...which is pretty indicative of how fast and how hard this game fell. It was a darling on the PAX East show floor in 2013 and had a STRONG presence in 2014 as it was a couple months before launch. This year? Not so much as a peep about the game anywhere on the show floor (although that was true of a great many games except, strangely, GuildWars 2 which had a crazy large and elaborate booth. I had to check the intarwebz to see if anything was changed and it looked like the update last month was fairly decent...but I have a feeling that is too little too late for this poor thing.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Imagine my surprise to see that the demographic of players who crave ball-crushing hard 40 man content is minuscule.

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
Imagine my surprise to see that the demographic of players who crave ball-crushing hard 40 man content is minuscule.
I can assure you that 40 players raid are just the icing on the shitcake of problems they have. I kinda liked the game from a certain point of view and I'd play this game as f2p, with cosmetic shop stuff, but paying a monthly sub? No way.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
40-man Raiding was fun when it let you bring 20 derps and stay-at-home-moms and still clear it. Requiring all 40 people pulling a 110%? Nope.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
40-man Raiding was fun when it let you bring 20 derps and stay-at-home-moms and still clear it. Requiring all 40 people pulling a 110%? Nope.
I was willing to give Wildstar a chance because I like to be challenged. I can deal with wiping in a group dungeon or raid if you can learn from your mistakes, play smarter and eventually beat the boss.

I've never been a hardcore end game raider due to real life time constraints but I do consider myself a well above average player. I study up on my class, try to learn all the game mechanics, do whatever I can to be as efficient as possible, etc etc.

In Wildstar despite all the above running dungeons with guildmates was an exercise in frustration. Even good players make a mistake every once in a while and this game often punished even the smallest mistake with instant death and a group wipe. I was in a pure casual guild with a lot of average ability players and running the entry level dungeons was the least amount of fun I've ever had in a MMO. End result this was the first MMO that I never made it past the second month.

Xevy

Log Wizard
If you were good and had people around you that were good it was challenging and fun. Otherwise yeah, it would break you. Still best combat I've ever had in a game. Only game I've played where PVE was more exciting than PVP because if you fucked up in PVE, you paid in full.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Game had tons of problems. But the Shiphand missions were fucking sweet and more games should do things like them. That is all I really have to say after getting a stalker to 50.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
trying to think of anything good this game brought to the genre, and the only thing I can think of is how it handled factions via quest completions. like you're fighting dudes and eventually make your way into their base, do the little boss instance and you beat them, little story scene plays out you are the champion they are on the run etc. when you go back to the overland area the npc's are no longer aggressive to you.

This is the first game i've noticed that did that but it's possible i'm miscrediting them for it. At the time I thought "ah that's neat" but now that i'm back to playing SWTOR I find myself thinking "man they really should have that thing that wildstar did in this game, it would make so much more sense"

And that's really the only thing this game did that was a good idea. The only other good thing I could say about this game is it launched with a lot of content and features. Like they knew what it was, and what it was competing with, and they knew they'd need a lot of shit to compete. unfortunately it wasn't enough of course.

I imagine since it's mostly former blizz guys who made this game, they probably had the same design principles as blizz when they were building this thing. I imagine at some point a year or two into development somebody was like "hey guys, is this game fun?" and it was like a unanimous "um, not really?" around the room. At that point blizz would just can the whole project but now that they are independent and don't have dumptrucks full of money to start over with, they had to make it work. So while they tried and (imo failed) to make the game fun, they definitely just kept adding features to cover up the lack of fun.

Rogosh

Lord Nagafen Raider
Vacuum loot was nice, shiphand missions, mining( where the mines come alive and attack you and where you can go down into a tunnel and mine a ton). I actually hate not having sprint in games, Wildstar made me want that badly in all mmos.