Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

spronk

FPS noob
i'm just glad all these games have pretty extensive betas, i can pretty much tell within 2 hours if I am going to like a game or not. didn't like wildstar, TESO, archeage, or evolve at all. loved tera, titanfall, ff14 and destiny and ended up playing all of them for quite a bit.

its a long ways away from the time past when games were super secretive and tried to hide shit before launch, like AoC or warhammer. the only game I can think of that did that recently is driveclub on ps4 and predictably that failed super hard by not having an open beta.

on the other hand i can't even think of an mmo thats coming out in the next 2 years, feels like the genre has sorta been retired.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
i'm just glad all these games have pretty extensive betas, i can pretty much tell within 2 hours if I am going to like a game or not. didn't like wildstar, TESO, archeage, or evolve at all. loved tera, titanfall, ff14 and destiny and ended up playing all of them for quite a bit.

its a long ways away from the time past when games were super secretive and tried to hide shit before launch, like AoC or warhammer. the only game I can think of that did that recently is driveclub on ps4 and predictably that failed super hard by not having an open beta.

on the other hand i can't even think of an mmo thats coming out in the next 2 years, feels like the genre has sorta been retired.
You don't hear about them because all the good / interesting ones are in China / Korea, Moonlight Blade / Black Desert look pretty cool, but we won't see them for years..if at all.

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Man, I've been thinking about this comment, and you are right. I can't think of a worthwhile one either. EQNext maybe in late 2015? WoD? The Vanguard emulator being posted about in the other thread? It is a strange feeling - I have been looking forward to one MMO or another for years now, and now I am not, and I don't even have the urge to dick around in STO/Neverwinter/SWTOR like I normally do in between games. For the first time in forever I am looking forward to single player RPGs more than an MMO.

Maybe ESO/Wildstar really were the 'last hurrah' of the super-hyped MMO launches.

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Yeah, really. Alright, so maybe I am in the minority on that one, but I think the point still is valid, there isn't much in the way of MMOs to look forward to. The shinies have stopped.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
For now yeah, it was known for a while already that Wildstar was the last large project, besides Titan(which was cancelled in the meantime). Only thing to look forward to is possibly Black Desert, since it's being ported relatively soon after the korean release, though it's going to be published by the korean company so who knows how that's gonna turn out(not the game but the stupid korean mechanics and item shop shit). Wow probably has still a lot of good years to go, and you can revisit older mmos. I resubbed to FFXIV a couple months ago and have had a lot of fun(but at the point where I'm out of things to do again so probably taking a break for 6months/until the expansion, which looks fucking great). Vanguard emulator would be something I'd play for sure, at least for a month or whatever, assuming it runs semi decently, which I'm not sure it would, game ran like shit even on SOE servers so...

I guess there's EQ Next, maybe. It's still fairly unclear what the fuck they're going to do with this, other than throw super cool ideas around without actually showing proof of concept for them. It seems to be like a year+ away though, so similar to Black Desert, and it's hard to tell if it'll be really mmo-ish or if it'll be minecraft the mmo(or landmark 2.0 if you prefer to call it like that).

spronk

FPS noob
ncsoft announced their earnings yesterday
IR Archive

GW2 earned 20B Won ($18m USD), Wildstar earned 16B Won ($16m) during the last 3 months
for next 3 months GW2 is expected to earn 34B Won ($31m), Wildstar is 9B Won ($8m)

$16m/3 months/$15 = 350k subs
$8m/3/$15 = 177k subs

So they are somewhere around 300k subs right now and expect to be half of that by january, the numbers include both cash shop, subs, and CREDD so you kind of have to guess what the mix is, I just assumed 100% money from subs which is obviously not true so the sub numbers will be a bit lower.

Its interesting though that GW2 earned as much as Wildstar during the summer period but they expect GW2 to double up during winter and Wildstar to drop in half.

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
So much negativities around this game, here is one more:

"Apparently, the majority of DS guilds can't raid anymore due to bans (at least for now), with certain guilds having up to 90% of roster at bay. This is the gardening exploit, economy is destroyed, 30plat for CREDD etc etc."

Xevy

Log Wizard
300k subs is actually way more than I'd suspect. 100k people per megaserver? Seems high.

Cred on the PVP megaserver was like 13p when I bought some yesterday. I canceled my account, but I think I'm riding 3 or 4 months of CREDD.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Wow, Wildstar release doesn't earn as much as GW2 in maintenance mode.

That's hardcore.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Each time this happens we lose another generation of MMO hype fanbois.

Love it.

Game sucks. Next.

Wait, what is even next? EQN? Is NCSoft going to bring over B&S now? Black Desert?

Vitality

HUSTLE
Looks like my speculative CREDD purchases (x8 at 5p ea) are going to pay off after all.

Edit for above post: EQ:N is no where near presentable.