Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

Faiona_sl

shitlord
What does age have anything to do with it? I'm 22, I started playing Everquest in 2000...so I've been playing MMOs for almost 13 years. Honestly, I could care less about the graphics. The game just looks fun, it obviously doesn't have anything that is super mind blowing. There are things that I don't like about it...like hard factions...but even TESO has that.

It honestly seems to be an 'upgraded WoW'. And I'm okay with that, I find WoW boring now because of the combat system and other things (after playing games like GW2 and Tera the standard combat just feels boring). This game seems to be adding just enough 'new' stuff in combination with old good stuff.

And hey, maybe I won't like Wildstar...but I'll still buy it and at least play it for a month or two...same with TESO. I've pretty much bought and played every single major MMO that has been released. Everquest and WoW are still the only ones that I have played for more than two years...and honestly the two that I consistently go back to. At this point I don't really expect MMOs to be good enough to hold my attention like EQ and WoW had. This game though has grabbed my attention because it looks polished (the animations seem on WoW levels, which I consider WoW to still have the most fluid animations out there), it seems to have an excellent dev team and like I said above...good combination of 'new' and old stuff.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Personally I think the game looks great. The engine, art style, and animations are all really good.

The thought of doing large raids again just makes me nauseated though. There's such absurd bullshit involved with MMO Raid Guilds, especially if you're in any sort of leadership position, and I have no clue how anyone wants to submit themselves to that anymore if they're previously experienced it. Pretty sure I have some sort of Raiding Guild PTSD, the thought of dealing with all that drama again (and there will ALWAYS be drama) makes me want to raid a fucking liquor store.

I was a genuine alcoholic when I was an Officer and I have no clue how I'd have dealt with it otherwise. Actually I'm pretty sure all of our officers but one had some sort of alcohol or drug addiction due to it.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
So, I watched this video, and my initial impression of this game is unchanged. It looks like a Saturday morning cartoon, and they are releasing a video where the guy talks about "double jumps" for like 75% of it. Seriously? Maybe I'm not the target audience? I'm 40 now. How old are all you guys salivating over this thing? It looks borderline retarded to me.

Not that the game I'm looking forward to is looking any better atm *sigh TESO*. Maybe I need to just go join the club wishfully waiting to see what Camelot Unchained turns out like. In the meantime there's DDO. Their expansions are keeping me interested.
I'm 38, how the fuck can you not be excited about mother fucking double jump? You ever notice in MMO's that people are always jumping, even when it's not needed? People love to jump. Art style is a personal preference but the cartoon style does age better. It's all about the gameplay anyway.

xzi

Mouthbreather
hell yes conc jumps. wait wait.. DOUBLE CONC JUMPS, BITCH

I just love the fact that if you watch the first dev video on player housing he was mostly still proper and formal.. and then this one he's just dicking around. I kind of love that more, tbh. Of course it is marketing and they're trying to make it seem more interesting so a few bleeped out swears but hey it works for me, I laughed.

I'm intrigued at the part they showed when he talked about gravity and said "unless you're in space".. I wonder if there are going to be super low gravity zones, it would certainly be neat

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
So, I watched this video, and my initial impression of this game is unchanged. It looks like a Saturday morning cartoon, and they are releasing a video where the guy talks about "double jumps" for like 75% of it. Seriously? Maybe I'm not the target audience? I'm 40 now. How old are all you guys salivating over this thing? It looks borderline retarded to me.
I agree it looks like a Saturday morning cartoon, but that's actually one of the things I like about it. I like that it's more stylistic than MMOs that go ultra-realistic, and that also means it's likely to age better (WoW still looks decent after nearly a decade). It also potentially means I won't have to worry as much about computer specs.

Though, I'm not looking forward to having to compete over tradeskill nodes again. For all the things that GW2 has seemed to have influenced them on, I was hoping shared nodes was going to be one of them. I could see the sprint meter making that even more frustrating. You miss a node you spotted before someone else because they had a sprint meter and yours was depleted?

xzi

Mouthbreather
It is annoying yes, but you can also build your own mine in your housing plot as well, so I imagine once you work up to that point it may not be as bad if you just need a few ore.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think there is a lot of hope that the game will (etc)
I scanned through this thread and did a cursory google search and I don't see any real info other than the cartoony graphics and standard hype videos to judge this game by. I am surprised so many here claim this game is the next coming of Jesus when all you are going on is hope.

The herd mentality is funny to watch sometimes..

I hate the graphics enough to skip this game which seems to be a WoW clone on steroids as best I can tell. Considering how much people say they hate WoW clones it is also funny to see you all go gagga over another one.

But I don't begrudge people their taste in games. If, after it is released, the game is everything you all hoped for then good for you.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
I scanned through this thread and did a cursory google search and I don't see any real info other than the cartoony graphics and standard hype videos to judge this game by. I am surprised so many here claim this game is the next coming of Jesus when all you are going on is hope.
So two things.

1. I think the dev team has been pretty transparent with the type of game they're making. Early wowish with some tweaks. They release an article on game mechanics or content every week. Multiple of those have been linked in this thread. The one about end game details their raiding philosophy pretty clearly.

2. What else are we supposed to look forward to?

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What else are we supposed to look forward to?
No, I get it. You have to hang your hat on something. It's just been amusing to watch you all from the sidelines as you build your hopes up over hype videos.

I've been guilty of it myself, we all have. GW2 was my holy grail, and it actually was a good game for the most part. Disappointing in the long term but still better than most.

Anyways, I don't want to rain on your parade. I really do hope the game is good for you all. God knows we've had too many crap mmo releases, somebody has to break the chain.

Helldiver

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I'm ok with the Loony Toons scenery and style.

I liked the way WoW looked and so on, I don't mind it. My problem right now with WildStar, is that unlike WoW, it seems unconsolidated. It seems like the artists did a bunch of stuff and the world artists/designers just dropped them randomly all over the place. Maybe because it's still beta so I guess with some polish the art will start to get unified.

I don't mind cartoony, not a fan of extreme camp though.

Lost Ranger_sl

shitlord
It's just been amusing to watch you all from the sidelines as you build your hopes up over hype videos.
Isn't that the point of those videos? To get people excited? I'm glad that not everyone is a jaded asshole (even if I am) who just writes new games off as shit the second they get announced. Part of the fun of MMOs is getting excited for them. Even if the shiny wears off after a few months and people start to quit the real important question is "Did you have fun?". I doubt many people care if Wildstar has millions of subscribers and is the "next big thing" for years to come. They just want to be entertained and that is something these developers actually seem interested in doing.

The silliness of their videos is a breath of fresh air imo. I have thought for years now that this industry could use a healthy dose of "lighten the fuck up", and they seem to share that view. I think it is possible for a game to be "cartoony" and "campy", but also be a rich experience that people can really get into. Just like every other entertainment industry really. I love and respect movies like The Godfather, but sometimes it is just far more fun tossing in something like Spaceballs and having a good time.

I don't know if Wildstar is going to be anything special in the end. I do know that based on the humor alone that I will have a good time. If that only lasts a few months then so be it. Still going to be a fun few months.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I just like that they are putting effort into their marketing and coming out with quality stuff. That combined with their PAX East presentation gives me hope.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I must have missed the memo, where getting excited and thinking the videos are good, it looks fun, and everything looks good so far, which I hope stays when I play, became a "2nd coming of jesus" declaration.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Got an email from Wildstar and was all excited but it was just a link to that dev video. Bummer.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I must have missed the memo, where getting excited and thinking the videos are good, it looks fun, and everything looks good so far, which I hope stays when I play, became a "2nd coming of jesus" declaration.
Meh, GW2 was all the same hype, same love, even through the beta phases and weekends. I remember everyone proclaiming it the second coming, even more. And it ended up being a big turd.