Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
It's very possible to release monthly content and have it be decent. Engines and tools have come a very long way over the last few years. I don't think they're going to release raids every month, but we don't know how their systems are set up. I certainly don't think in the first year they'll be doing extra monthly content releases though.
That's about the only hope I have - GW2 is able to make 2 vapid patches per month. If we credit Wildstar with the same ability and assume that all the gem shop work GW2 needs goes into actual content, then they might be able to make one decent update per month. It would get my sub money for probably three months then, leveling to cap once and trying out all the max level shit casually. Now figure in all the people not tired of DIKU style play that only lament lack of content and Wildstar's monthly additions might make this a winner. IF they can deliver good stuff each month. Big IF I guess.

So theirhybrid modelactually stands as "pay a subcription and buy legit golds ingame to pay someone else subscription." I guess NCSoft finally took the steering wheel and drives on its own now. About the Spring 2014 window, it's the same window for Elder Scrolls Online and potentially upcoming WoW xpack. Welp.
It is the same sub method EVE uses, down to the exact amount of money. Not sure if NCsoft even uses that model in any of their games so no idea where you get that. You'll notice NCsoft involvement when they expand the cash shop after launch.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I'm fine with the delay and I'm fine with the sub fee. I don't like content and functions being locked behind mini pay walls, I'd rather just have access to everything for my sub fee. -shrug-

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's pushed back because the game isn't finished in their eyes, which I believe considering there has not been large scale raid or PvP testing to my knowledge. Not because they want to compete with other games. (Also why the fuck would you want to release around the same time other AAA studios launch theirs?)
I was just highlighing the Spring 2014 fact, nothing much.

It is the same sub method EVE uses, down to the exact amount of money. Not sure if NCsoft even uses that model in any of their games so no idea where you get that. You'll notice NCsoft involvement when they expand the cash shop after launch.
I was talking about NCSoft finally makes the decision about sub based game.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think it's a good idea to push back. Mainly since they still have 2 classes to test and I assume some way to test higher content(probably on a more focused level).

Will be interesting to see if it actually ends up not having a store at all and just does the credd thing to pay for a sub with in-game gold as the only transaction.Though they could also add things like race changes, appearance changes etc(tera allows players to sell all these to other players for in-game currency) I wont hold my breathe, but would be nice to have another game that has everything for you right there, no inventory increases, character slots, bags etc for $. I don't mind a sub as I usually end up paying equal or more in f2p/b2p games, especially initially.

I want to believe in the PR talk about monthly updates, especially because the guy talking help founded Turbine, which did AC and they followed through with monthly content/updates/store in that game but mmo industry doesn't have any credit anymore so it will have to be a wait and see if it happens.

Btw I do disagree with byr, I think the combat is much better then gw2s, but less then teras(obviously not a full picture yet) and doesn't have the non trinity problems gw2 has.

Piriwi_sl

shitlord
Wait so let me get this right.

Box purchaseANDmonthly feeANDgold for $$$AND(possible) in-game item shop.

I don't mind subscription, if the game and updates are quality I'm willing to pay, but the box purchase better come with at least a free month. I do hope they keep in mind that as an European player I don't own a credit card so they have other (good) options available.

Don't really like being able to convert cash to gold or gold to sub time either. I just want to play a game and not have to worry about having to buy additional gold to purchase shit from other players (because I can't compete in gold buying power otherwise) or having to make sure that I get enough gold to pay for my subscription.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Wildstar claims monthly "beefy" updatesso maybe this is the one that delivers on that promise.
That last part made me cringe a bit. I mean...we've been here before.

MMO's making big promises and people hoping they make good on them. It generally never "works as intended".

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Yea we have, but they can get the chance to prove it. After all GW2 has settled into bi-weekly content patches successfully, it just has other issues.

Rogosh

Lord Nagafen Raider
I think Wildstar just failed with their sub model. Don't really know anyone that wants to pay for another linear wow, rift or swtor yellow exclamation mark game. And yes i know the game, I know all about roles etc. Maybe pvpers will pay for warplots but I even think thats doubtful.

Raign

Golden Squire
I think Wildstar just failed with their sub model. Don't really know anyone that wants to pay for another linear wow, rift or swtor yellow exclamation mark game. And yes i know the game, I know all about roles etc. Maybe pvpers will pay for warplots but I even think thats doubtful.
I think you are under-estimate the affluence of the 'average' MMO player (read: Non-bnet kiddie) that a vanilla-wow difficulty game like WildStar game targets. Most of us are 25-45 years old, employed and would (or at least my friends and I would) much prefer not having to deal with cash-stop bullshit and just have $15 bucks come off a credit card.

If the game is actually decent (which it so far seems to be shaping up to be) and has max level content worth playing and working at, people will pay and do so willingly. Hell, I drop more than that at Starbucks some days and all I get from that is fucking heartburn and a need to piss three times an hour -- I most certainly would do it to have a game worth playing on-going.

Titan_Atlas

Deus Vult
<Banned>
I think you are under-estimate the affluence of the 'average' MMO player (read: Non-bnet kiddie) that a vanilla-wow difficulty game like WildStar game targets. Most of us are 25-45 years old, employed and would (or at least my friends and I would) much prefer not having to deal with cash-stop bullshit and just have $15 bucks come off a credit card.

If the game is actually decent (which it so far seems to be shaping up to be) and has max level content worth playing and working at, people will pay and do so willingly. Hell, I drop more than that at Starbucks some days and all I get from that is fucking heartburn and a need to piss three times an hour -- I most certainly would do it to have a game worth playing on-going.
^^This^^

To the european guy without a credit card, wtf are you a bunch of animals? Maybe some asshole from Africa or Southeast asia has no credit but i figured you were above that level of troglodite. Join the rest of the modern world, maybe this is why the EU is having so many problems.

Zionmaster_sl

shitlord
The game they have at the moment is not worth a monthly sub. It is essentially a more wow-ified GW2, with worse combat. Now it has the gw2 gemstore too, awesome. Can't wait to throw down $60 + a sub to get a similar experience to GW2. Sad to say this shit is going to crash and burn
Agree.

From what i've seen so far this game isn't worth a sub and not going f2p is going to kill it.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm curious about people saying the game isn't worth a subscription based on what they've seen or what they know ; CBT3 didn't have anything endgame releated and I don't think there's a secret internal build around with warplots and raids available to testing.

bytes

Molten Core Raider
The game's WoW 1.5 with a side dish of GW2 influenced combat. I think most people are just tired of "Collect 10 bear arses and 7 tainted livers" by now; the endgame is hardly going to be some kind of never seen before revolution of the genre.

Honestly, it might be fun for a month or two, but i'd be very surprised if Wildstar and FF14 would do well in the market right now.

Fenz

Silver Knight of the Realm
FF14 will do surprisingly well I think
biggrin.png

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Who knows, there are so many players that left WoW behind in the last decade that a WoW++ game that delivers frequent content might become a hit. I know many people that left WoW because there wasnt enough to do between the major updates back when they took l9-12 months per patch. The graphics arent gonna hold it back given the 20mill ex-WoW players that are used to them.

sike

Silver Knight of the Realm
^^This^^

To the european guy without a credit card, wtf are you a bunch of animals? Maybe some asshole from Africa or Southeast asia has no credit but i figured you were above that level of troglodite. Join the rest of the modern world, maybe this is why the EU is having so many problems.
I'm not sure what that guy is smoking, but in most European countries the use of credit cards is more advanced than in the US (chip and pin rather than having to manually sign). I assume he must be referring to Eastern Europe or something...

Personally I prefer the sub-model. I find that F2P, B2P etc all detract from the immersion of a game, I want to be able to stick the sub on a credit card and forget about any cash element - I couldn't do that with the gem store in GW2 for instance (and it was even worth in Neverwinter, where you were constantly being reminded that it was a fruit machine of a game). Also, whether necessarily true or not, I sub-consciously associate sub-based games with "quality product" and b2p/f2p with "poor man's version".

Gecko_sl

shitlord
Who knows, there are so many players that left WoW behind in the last decade that a WoW++ game that delivers frequent content might become a hit. I know many people that left WoW because there wasnt enough to do between the major updates back when they took l9-12 months per patch. The graphics arent gonna hold it back given the 20mill ex-WoW players that are used to them.
My only counter point is most of us do not want a WOW like experience with loads of content, even if it's slightly different. The graphics aren't going to hold it back, but where is the market? I'm not sure NA ex-WOW players are going to go to this game in droves, but I could be wrong.

Honestly, it might be fun for a month or two, but i'd be very surprised if Wildstar and FF14 would do well in the market right now
I think the problem we have is everything is compared to WOW. A game does not have to print money to be successful. There are a lot of 'successful' MMOs that are profitable, but there's only one WOW. I see both of these games selling enough product to be successful.