Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I hate for it to be another "I like how EQ did it" but...I liked how EQ did it. It was mostly a black and white "are you a good or evil race", sure, but there was still a lot of gray area (like NFP vs EFP/WFP). I liked how it worked so that some cities were dangerous to you, and some guards, but players weren't actually stopped for working together and communicating.
So, soft factions? SWG did it with the Empire and Rebellion and included quests that let you build reputation for your chosen side. You could switch, but it was a lot harder once you claimed a side to work backwards.

Although I think it might be interesting to have languages Be A Thing again, but with no common language, requiring effort to communicate if desired. Could be fun. Or it might just be seen as a boring dumb timesink with no reward (but that's what people said about travel times, corpse runs, forced grouping, no instancing, and there's backlash against a lot of that now too).
SWG also had languages, but it felt more like a gimmick than anything.

Building a false barrier between communication sounds like a terrible idea. It would segregate the population even further.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
It could be fun, sure. Hard-coded factions are very high on my most-hated modern MMO features by now, so I am clearly in favor of a soft lock based on factions. That way you can even have faction-specific races that take some work to switch. Players that want to stand out will do it. But regardless of any fun potential it will be called a borink time sink and undue player punishment, and my new favorite denial of service. Either way it's not on the table for this game.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Devs like the fantasy of "two sides pitted together in BATTLE! and WAR!" In reality it's just a PVE based game where your population is split and only 20% of the population understands the lore. The only PVP people do are in instanced areas and at that point they don't give a shit about factions and teams could be made with anyone.

It's typically devs that think that one thing is a good idea because it feels good, however in practice it's really not needed.
Didn't hard factions begin with DAoC? This had a lot more to do with the foundation of the gameplay, rather than "feeling good". Since then, the biggest culprit for the two-faction set is WoW and this was because of t

Hard coded factions would work if a game truly pits one side against another. Whether its competition in PVE resources or straight up PVP. I have no idea how Wildstar works but from what we've seen it's your pretty typical quest treadmill experience through zones as you level, I don't see where hard coded factions work in the game world outside of lore and story.
Hard coded factions have worked...DAoC.

Since then, however, the population has been totally alienated because it feels good. I'll give you that.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
I wonder if the two sides can even talk to each other in this game... If not, then that's kind of dumb.

Rogosh

Lord Nagafen Raider
What Rift does right is factions. On PVP servers you are hard coded, pve you can group with anyone. And for pvp instances you can become a mercenary and fight with the other side so that there are no long queue timers.

Its to bad Wildstar has not taken a page from Rift.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Hard coded factions have been around for decades. Popular muds did them in the 90s. Any DurisMUD, MPV/ROP/LOC MUD players out there?

B_Mizzle

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Massive really is relative to technical limitations. in the late 90s, an online game with servers allowing only 180 players max was massive, that would hardly count as massive today.
Depends on the game. Wasn't SWTOR something like 300-500 players per sever max?

DMK_sl

shitlord
Clearly hard-coded factions are wanted by the masses. Otherwise companies wouldn't keep going down that route. I personally don't mind them.

Mellent_sl

shitlord
Clearly hard-coded factions are wanted by the masses. Otherwise companies wouldn't keep going down that route. I personally don't mind them.
Really, there just isn't enough justification tonotdo them. Add that on to the fact that most MMO companies are trying to rope in the WoW crowd (so they try to do whatever they can to make them comfortable in a new game) and there you go.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Clearly. Which is why every MMO with hard-coded factions since WoW has been a raving success...

I don't "mind them", but I recognize that is rapes (literally) the server's population and the ability for players to participate in larger groups. Which, inevitably affects the social interaction side of a game.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
eh I wouldn't say it had anything to do with games failing or not becoming the new WoW(which people these days consider failing).

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
eh I wouldn't say it had anything to do with games failing or not becoming the new WoW(which people these days consider failing).
My point had less to do with games failing and more to do with it being a bad mechanic.

I don't "mind" it either, but I've yet to see a game, since DAoC, in which hard-factions add to the game. It steals more than it gives, imo.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think its more of them just trying to add conflict and pvp to MMOs. You can look at games before WoW and before MMOs in general that are built on 2 sides fighting each other. I wouldn't even call it a bad mechanic. Some people will like that design, others wont. Some games will have a more open RPG style faction system and other's don't, its nothing new.

Now I will agree with communication barriers making no sense and actually hurt socialization and building rivalries/connections even with not being able to group up.

I will also agree is has the negative effect of limiting the pool of players that can group up and such, but this is more of a problem on low to medium servers and companies afraid to take actual steps to balancing servers because of player/media reactions(IE players bitch and moan about locking one side until the other catches up or even blasting a game if they even think about merging servers to make things right). Imagine if wow in the past 4-5 years had merged all their servers to make them all relatively balanced, but they won't because its seen as "failing" and the PR "Sky is falling" would be astronomical.

DMK_sl

shitlord
My point had less to do with games failing and more to do with it being a bad mechanic.

I don't "mind" it either, but I've yet to see a game, since DAoC, in which hard-factions add to the game. It steals more than it gives, imo.
They wouldn't continue to put hard factions in MMO's if their focus groups and polls they ran didn't say majority of players like it. I'm pretty sure dev companies don't just go "Fuck it lets put hard factions in coz wow did!" they would do research into what the masses want whether it be hard-factions or not. Also I can show you MMOs that didn't have hard factions that have also failed so your point is irrelevant.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
They wouldn't continue to put hard factions in MMO's if their focus groups and polls they ran didn't say majority of players like it. I'm pretty sure dev companies don't just go "Fuck it lets put hard factions in coz wow did!" they would do research into what the masses want whether it be hard-factions or not. Also I can show you MMOs that didn't have hard factions that have also failed so your point is irrelevant.
Pretty sure a lot of what's come out in the last few years in MMOs has been exactly because 'WoW did it that way'.

Didn't Rift remove hard factions so players could play together ?

Faddor_sl

shitlord
There is no logic in this quote that is not fallacious.

"Clearly getting fucked over by multi-national corporations is wanted by the masses, otherwise MNCs wouldn't continue raping and extracting 3rd world resources, committing tax fraud, embezzlement, paying CEOs over 100x the average employee pay, etc."

Riiiight....I'd like to see the focus groups results that explain all the other stupid features that keep getting implemented, too.

Lol. Focus groups for MMOs. I cannot believe you could be this fucking naive. OF COURSE they stick shit in MMOs just because "_____ did it." That is basically all that has happened in this market since WoW has released.