Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ugh bad timing, patch today for this game(sure you can find it somewhere), my Landmark alpha and I wanted to try BnS stll, so much to do, so little time.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I think he means crafting in Wildstar, not crafting in general. Wildstar is a game made up of various systems implemented in basically the worst way imaginable. Kind of like TOR without any of the hooks TOR had, like the story and (main)quest delivery. It's the culmination of years without a single original idea or thought, by people who seemingly have no understanding of what makes a game worthwhile
Personally, I think crafting is fucking terrible in any MMORPG. But some people love that shit.

Specifically on Wildstar:
The old system was better and there was a pretty good published preview about it like a year ago. You could essentially break down gear anywhere in the world and salvage modules from them. So all the bullshit gear you get, you could do stuff with. Then you could use the stat modules to put them in other gear so you can stack certain stats so you could hit certain milestones. Those milestones gave pretty cool bonuses. They essentially scrapped the whole system and gave those milestones to players in the form of leveling up skills and is now exclusively in the crafting system.

It's a travesty. Leveling up and min/maxing gear as you went was really engaging. Now you just click a + or - button to put points in their AMP trees and or in skills. People won't bother crafting at all until they get to the level cap (unless people slow down and really spend time crafting).

When I talked to Scooter at NYCC he was talked about the AMP system and I was pretty pumped about it. Turned out to be a bunch of standard talent tree put into a circular UI for a bunch of +gooder stats and some skills.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Shit like this makes me laugh.

Man Bayr is on a mini-UT crusade, its funny to read for the last 40 pages or so(how long he's been letting us know it sucks to him).

To anyone who wants a opinion, I would just try the game yourself sometime, pretty sure there will be plenty of chances and there is enough public info atm to let you know if you are going to hate it right off the bat(people who hate quest hubs , play it, then complain about quest hubs) or if it rates at least a try first.
That statement is pretty accurate if you ask me. If you take out class systems/mechanics/customization and combat systems the game is extremely well made and provides a top quality quest-based progression game.

The problem is the systems used in that experience are not very well thought out and iterated on. It's pretty obvious that they just started converting abilities to telegraphs as early as 6-8 months ago. It's pretty obvious their AMP system is on the very first iteration. It's pretty obvious the class balance and skill interaction is a mess.

This should of been done like 2 years ago, but the team fell prey to feature creep and, "Hey this is a good idea, let's do that!"

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Just got off from work for a bad weather day, would like to get some time in. Hopefully after I patch it will be stable.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's pretty obvious that they just started converting abilities to telegraphs as early as 6-8 months ago. It's pretty obvious their AMP system is on the very first iteration. It's pretty obvious the class balance and skill interaction is a mess.
What? The first statement makes no sense, considering there has been telegraphs since the first time I saw a damn video of this game, which was at least a year ago at minimum. The 2nd statement is very obvious considering it literally just hit beta. The 3rd statement will never end, balance will be up down forever.

Out of your list, the class customization is the only one I agree with, it could have more depth and uniqueness to it but the rest is great.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Just read the last 15 pages of this thread to get caught up a bit, and damn. People be so happy, and so salty about this game at the same exact time.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
People are bored bro is all, ill try to get one of the accounts I gave away no one uses for you.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
What? The first statement makes no sense, considering there has been telegraphs since the first time I saw a damn video of this game, which was at least a year ago at minimum. The 2nd statement is very obvious considering it literally just hit beta. The 3rd statement will never end, balance will be up down forever.

Out of your list, the class customization is the only one I agree with, it could have more depth and uniqueness to it but the rest is great.
A year ago, only some abilities had telegraphs, a lot of them were standard tab target. A year before that, I don't know if there were any telegraphs in the game. I don't recall any in the demo I played 3 years ago, I could be wrong though. Over the last 8 months they were converting all abilities to a telegraph system.

When I say class balance here, I really mean class and combat system. Of course classes are continuously being balanced, but I'm talking major big picture balance and iteration. There's a reason why it's very shallow right now.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
It was a huge booth at Pax Prime 2011, and it was kind of out of left field. I played one an Aurin spellslinger. It had the same look and feel, but it was pretty much tab target. However you could dodge and stuff. I think enemies had basic telegraphs for some attacks.

I could be wrong about player telegraphs though, it's been a while.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
People are bored bro is all, ill try to get one of the accounts I gave away no one uses for you.
Oh I feel that. I agree with a few others in this thread that you just have to try it for yourself, whether through beta, or actually buying the game.

Take Might and Magic that just came out. Had a miracle patch, that really made the game much better than what most reviews said about it.

So it's not impossible they will fix everything up!

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Who gives a fuck what people think in general, most people are idiots or broke and cry about what games cost like were 14 years old still. Im always playing old or games people think are dumb.

I hope youre gonna play the new Diablo, that should be fun and other small stuff until this comes out.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Wildstar definitely does need work. Crafting is more much useful than it was previously, but still fairly bland. Though I do believe the high end shit has some changes for it. Combat is fun and very active. You don't just sit back and pew pew pew as much as most games (well, maybe Espers do). I do agree with the checklist idea. I think they had good intentions of grabbing things people really love and then making it their own, but a lot of it is half-assed at the moment. This may be a game that is good/okay at start and gets awesome at 6 months in.

Pretty much: it's got potential, but they still need to refine shit.

Blade and Soul still looks like shiny AZN garbage to me. I played AION/TERA. I was the best PVE geared Ranger in the former for a while (Thanks Anuhart x3 on 5 runs!). That game was talked up so much and fell so short. Also made my GPU run at over 100 celsius. Fuck that.

iannis

Musty Nester
They very much need to refine some things. "It's kind of a hodgepodge mess" is an entirely valid criticism. Their content flow is going to be BIZZARE.

They've got problems. Kinda meta problems. But if you're going to have a problem they've got maybe the least-bad type. Their team doesn't seem to be lazy or incompetent (which a lot are). Something in the process just isn't quite gelling for them.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
so i guess end game got added to beta. i just cant seem to care enough to go back and push to it.

Cepaqua_sl

shitlord
so i guess end game got added to beta. i just cant seem to care enough to go back and push to it.
Roger that.

I lost motivation 2 months ago after getting half thru lvl 28. Skipped entire winter beta 2. Decided what the hell, I'll DL beta 3 and see if it somehow pulls me in....nope. Was in and out in 10 mins. I have no interest in solo questing or e-sport BGs. I did somewhat enjoy the dungeons, as much as I detest instancing. Just in no mood to quest grind to get to the next ones. WS had its moments, literally moments. The telegraphing is what will make it stand apart from the pack, not much else. I enjoyed that mechanic, shame the rest was meh.

Raign

Golden Squire
Last night in game felt even more smooth than WoW does, whether it be because the servers were emptier or something they refined in the patch, I cannot say, but the combat was silky smooth.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
Personally, I think crafting is fucking terrible in any MMORPG. But some people love that shit.
Crafting was decent in UO because it had a purpose and also there was danger.

The best game for crafting by far was SWG. It's system and setup was amazing. Crafting is ok in most fantasy MMOs, but really just another time sink that isn't distinct like it was in SWG.

I think if they take SWGs initial design and build, remove all the Star Wars(T) crap, especially keep Jump to Lightspeed but change the ships around, and make it single server scalable, a la EVE, and add in space trading with Alien races and Privateer style goals and Imight have my perfect nextgen MMO.

They really need to get the NDA down off cause for friends and family beta players there has been more then enough time to give proper feedback, wonders about some miracle patch in the last few months.