Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

Devnull_sl

shitlord
Hmm doing Bf4 right now and I have to hold it down entire time I run around, though maybe I am missing a toggle somewhere. I don't think a toggle would work here since sprint is on a resource.
In BF4 there is an autosprint option as well as double tapping w to sprint. Games like Wildstar, TESO, Rust, etc that haven't implemented any kind of sprint assist are ironically the games where it would be the most useful.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Warplots feedback isn't good at all (it's actually pretty bad) : design won't work (40v40 and plot / plug system will never allow it to be competitive), too much zerg friendly, rewards / time invested is lame and performance is horrible in big fights with a NASA computer (and I'm talking about skill lag / input delay, the bad kind of bad performance). Technical problems aside, it's quite clear this game mode has been designed by people who don't PvP / play MMOs. Whoever thought it would be awesome to pile up 80 players and favour zerging needs to be fired, guilds don't just go randomly tag warplots right before / after raiding. Warplots are tiresome and uninteresting, you basically spend your time standing there to control points to get better tick score.

At this point, design wise Warplots are just glorified Alterac with huge design issues, bad performance and poor combat gameplay.

iannis

Musty Nester
I hate to say it, but I think either Warplots were grossly misrepresented or I had some very hopeful ideas about what they were going to actually be attempting with them. Of course, I haven't been able to keep the client stable enough for long enough to have any significant experience with them personally.

This last month has not been a very good month for them.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Confused, how is it a bad month? Things have gotten fixed, balance is on going, almost all content is being tested by the players now. There hasn't been any steps back. Seems like a good month for a game still in beta and release probably 3 months out at least.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
Sprinting is retarded and whoever thought it was a good idea is also a retard. Sprint should only work in combat and ooc speed should be maxed all the time.
The only thing sprint like this accomplishes is making you feel slower when you don't have it. They could make the base run speed twice as fast as every other MMO, and I'd still feel like I was going slow when my sprint meter runs out.

Aurin Males are the most feminine character model in the game.
I sort of wanted my Esper to be a male Aurin since I usually don't play Humans, but it's nearly impossible to make one that doesn't look like he just stepped out of an anime. It'd be nice if there was a little bit more variety in their faces and hairstyles...

iannis

Musty Nester
Confused, how is it a bad month? Things have gotten fixed, balance is on going, almost all content is being tested by the players now. There hasn't been any steps back. Seems like a good month for a game still in beta and release probably 3 months out at least.
They've introduced more crash bugs. Even without them client performance has actually gotten worse (while, granted, server performance has gotten better). They only really half managed the combat rebalance. Things needed to be slowed down, it's not that, but all they did was slow it down. The problem with that is that it emphasizes the simplicity of their class design -- in a bad way. Spellslingers got straight up destroyed. Their "elder game" is tuned for groups of 5 people... their token system is uninspired... warplots, which I'd been curious about, are nothing to be excited about.

It's hard to look at February as any sort of unmitigated win. They introduced some good things (and I don't mean to ignore them. Wilderrun is well done, I like the housing changes, the stalker and esper changes made the classes more enjoyable) and they introduced some bad things.

That's not a good month. That's a wash. But I have a real feeling they're pushing for release in late spring, which makes it a bad month.

iannis

Musty Nester
I mean I hope it doesn't. There are parts of it that really are great. Right now they've almost got enough to justify the cost of a box. But that's not some sort of set in stone fact of the universe -- they CAN accidentally fuck that up. And they need to be able to justify a sub as well as the box.

We'll see I guess. It depends on where that deadline is. Which I don't know and can only guess.

Barab

Silver Knight of the Realm
First time warplots have really been tested by the closed beta pop ? Little surprised peopled thought warplots would be polished, bug free, and balanced right out of the box and into beta testers hands.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Remove PvP. Problem solved!
In all seriousness watching various streamers play PvP is just ugh. There is no way I'm touching PvP in this game. Every cubic inch of your screen covered in telegraphs is absurd and no thank you.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
In all seriousness watching various streamers play PvP is just ugh. There is no way I'm touching PvP in this game. Every cubic inch of your screen covered in telegraphs is absurd and no thank you.
Best part about this is playing melees.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
First time warplots have really been tested by the closed beta pop ? Little surprised peopled thought warplots would be polished, bug free, and balanced right out of the box and into beta testers hands.
Yeah, they are like a week or 2 old? Probably less time with players doing them since I think they take level 50 before you can do them(don't quote me on that though). Lots of room to change them.

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
Yea I tired it a few times and telegraphs everywhere with how the PvP felt just made me say "PvE for me"

Xevy

Log Wizard
Like I've said before, the only thing different from telegraphs in this game and other conal-action RPG's is that you actually see them. If action-combat games from the last 5 years had telegraphs you'd be seeing the same thing~

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Like I've said before, the only thing different from telegraphs in this game and other conal-action RPG's is that you actually see them. If action-combat games from the last 5 years had telegraphs you'd be seeing the same thing~
You'd see a lot of telegraphs yeah, but they wouldn't be nearly as big or common. In this game, basically everything but a handful of skills are aoes. They're also fairly large aoes, unless you're a melee then you get fucked and get "melee" aoes, which are shit range. Like look at any stream where they play the pvp map where you have to capture points. Every point can be constantly covered by almost every single skill of say, engineers, espers, spellslingers and medics. Warriors can whirlwind the entire point too but the rest tends to only cover half of it(and spellslinger tends to not cover the entire point, only like half of it, but also covers parts on both sides of it due to being long range line/tight cones). If you want to fight on the spot, you get hit by everything all the time, regardless of aiming.

And I don't mean people slotting specific aoe LAS and spamming aoes on a point like you can see in other games, I mean basically EVERY skill being that. When you have a spell like rain of fire or meteors in other games, those are large ground targetted aoes that do this. However these are channeled static skills, they're easy to interupt and deal with. When every spell is instant and castable on the move and cover the same area is when you run into issues, imo. If you're a melee, it doesn't matter who you're attacking, you're getting hit by stuff that's not even targetted at you, regardless of what you do.

Small scale pvp is probably going to be fine but anything past 5players is such a fucking aoe mess.