Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

Gecko_sl

shitlord
Hmm spronk I wonder why that happened. In EvE it balances out fine. Maybe it just takes longer? Still low priced sub is perfectly fine for me if the game still manages to do well.
Well, you actually have to have a vibrant economy with supply and demand. EVE is a distinct market and isn't competing with WOW and isn't looking at Microtransactions or moving to Free to Play in the near term future. Credd can easily be converted to Store Credits for Wildstar if they move in that direction.

The design remains very good. The issue of will the game remain sub based and have a good economy are different discussions, and while I've played a good chunk of Wildstar I honestly do not know as it isn't really a game I'm that interested in playing.

My personal opinion is Wildstar is fighting an uphill battle against WOW and F2P equivalents.

velk

Trakanon Raider
It took about an hour or two to farm 1000g for the average solo player, so I was figuring a credd would sell for like 15-20k... you know, 15-20 hours of farming to buy a month of sub, pretty reasonable? It started out at like 8k and dropped to 3k within the first day, and then pretty much went to 2k and 1.5k the next day as hundreds hit the AH. Made absolutely no sense, couldn't really buy anything good with that little gold but still people were doing it.
That doesn't surprise me, gold buyers typically have deep pockets, which is what makes gold buying a viable industry in the first place.

velk

Trakanon Raider
WHat kind of FPS are people getting? With max detail i'm only getting 30 fps on a i7-4770k and gtx 760.
If you are using vista+, try setting compatibility mode on the app to XP service pack 3. I saw a lot of people saying that drastically improved the performance they got in game.

iannis

Musty Nester
Their player economy isn't deep enough for Credd to work. It's a good idea, but currency has to translate into some sort of game activity. All it really translates into is housing in wildstar.

I know there's 20 million arbitrary gold sinks. But yeah, I dunno. I don't really even see what they're trying to accomplish gamewise. Tax dedicated RMT outfits is about all I can figgure.

But it's not like I hate carbine for giving players more options. Thumbs high.

But really the system is going to primarily benefit 2 groups of players. RMT and AH daytraders. Which are usually the same group of players. heh!

Seems like Paddy Dollars, is all.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
I have to be honest. I'm to old to understand the "Why isn't this F2P" mentality. I think I was hooked on paying a sub for a MMO early on so it just seems natural to me and I can always cancel the second I get bored. 15$/mo is just so cheap to me for something I spend 20-40 hours a week on and is a REALLY good value compared to the price of other forms of entertainment these days.

But it's probably just because I'm getting old.

Edit: This isn't pointing to anyone specific...

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
I have no running subs and no desire to buy games blindly, let alone if they have a subscription, but admittely, I was intrigued enough to download and install Wildstar over the weekend since I got this free key. Well... love at first sight: I don't know what was it, combat is fun, graphics and animations are lovely, character models are beatiful and funny and the explorer path added the jumping puzzles I liked so much from GW2. The list could be very long, there are also a lot of small things here and there.
I'm gonna buy this, probably preorder it too. As a disclaimer I should add that I don't mind chain questing if combat is fun and WS combat imo is quite good all around.

Caliane

I have to be honest. I'm to old to understand the "Why isn't this F2P" mentality. I think I was hooked on paying a sub for a MMO early on so it just seems natural to me and I can always cancel the second I get bored. 15$/mo is just so cheap to me for something I spend 20-40 hours a week on and is a REALLY good value compared to the price of other forms of entertainment these days.

But it's probably just because I'm getting old.

Edit: This isn't pointing to anyone specific...
I have no idea what you are talking about. the older I get the more fiscally responsibly I am.
How do you even have 20-40hours a week to play a game? are you retired? Mortgage, kids, building that garage, yard, pets, college fund, taxes, retirement... What ELSE are you throwing money away on? Do you eat out 7 times a week?

But really time is exactly the main issue. Im not 18-25 anymore. I do not have the time to play a video game like its a job. 15/m to play a game that "I" only have maybe 3hours a week free to play generally. Nevermind if something else takes my interest that week. The choice quickly becomes, its not worth it. you wanted 15/m but you get nothing from me. (well, they are getting a box sale from me likely.)

spronk

FPS noob
yeah its not the sub fee its the opportunity cost involving time. when i played wow for 2-3 years almost every night, i missed out on a lot of great games. now that I don't play MMOs anymore I have slowly gone back through the catalog of single player games and damn a good story with a beginning, middle, and end is far more fun to me than the treadmills of theme park MMOs - just restarted the Mass Effect trilogy (pc with all DLCs) and having a blast, gonna run through assassins creed again after.

I did enjoy swtor and final fantasy 14 but the world/setting/story of TESO and Wildstar don't give me any boners. It would have to be an IP I know a lot about and want to explore every nook and cranny for an MMO to get me invested now, like Fallout or Harry Potter or Alien or Game of Thrones or Star Trek etc.

Noahx

N00b
For those doing the "chain questing" and finding WS boring/same shit - try breaking it up with PVP, harvesting, challenges, and path stuff. 1-10 is going to be rough. 10+ should have enough flavor that the quest grind becomes an afterthought really.

Also, as I mentioned, try a few classes... I hated the game till giving Stalker a shot.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
I have no idea what you are talking about. the older I get the more fiscally responsibly I am.
How do you even have 20-40hours a week to play a game? are you retired? Mortgage, kids, building that garage, yard, pets, college fund, taxes, retirement... What ELSE are you throwing money away on? Do you eat out 7 times a week?

But really time is exactly the main issue. Im not 18-25 anymore. I do not have the time to play a video game like its a job. 15/m to play a game that "I" only have maybe 3hours a week free to play generally. Nevermind if something else takes my interest that week. The choice quickly becomes, its not worth it. you wanted 15/m but you get nothing from me. (well, they are getting a box sale from me likely.)
I have all of these but I have 3 extras that that most probably don't. I live in Indiana and my 15 year mortgage is extremely cheap. Plus I make good money. Wife works at nights so I usually get 3-4 hours in after the kids are in bed and wife is at work. Wife takes kids to parents house nearly every Saturday where they play with their twin nephews. I can easily pull an all day MMO grind on Saturday which puts me in the 30 range.

Our kids college fund is paying off our house before they go to college then paying their school loans out of pocket based on their grades.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
So I played this weekend. I really, really wanted to love this game. I had a good vibe from the theme... or something. However, Iliterallyfell asleep in the tutorial part. It was that boring. So many 'press F near object' quests and the story parts didn't even try to hide the chore aspect. The WoW style 'NPC walks around and emotes in chat' Quicktime vignettes are old hat too.

Felmega_sl

shitlord
Damn, poeple have gotten tough on MMO's.

There was a time, just being logged into the same RPG world was enough to cause wild excitement and delight. Nowadays, well made games are just dismissed.

I sometimes wonder if the MMORPG genre can survive. The games cost a fortune to make and no one wants to play them!

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
Damn, poeple have gotten tough on MMO's.

There was a time, just being logged into the same RPG world was enough to cause wild excitement and delight. Nowadays, well made games are just dismissed.

I sometimes wonder if the MMORPG genre can survive. The games cost a fortune to make and no one wants to play them!
People on this forum have become whiny cunts, or maybe they always were, it's just that getting older and more suspicious about games doesn't help. Most people whined about ESO and half the forum is poopsocking into it now, it'll be probably the same for Wildstar.
As I said for it was love at first sight, I enjoy all the little things that some other player despises such as cutscenes, interaction with the game world, etc.
Beta weekend was a blast and last time I wanted to play something so badly was WotLK at release. The general vibe I got from the game chat was positive.

I'm gonna shill for Wildstar...

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
People on this forum have become whiny cunts, or maybe they always were, it's just that getting older and more suspicious about games doesn't help. Most people whined about ESO and half the forum is poopsocking into it now, it'll be probably the same for Wildstar.
As I said for it was love at first sight, I enjoy all the little things that some other player despises such as cutscenes, interaction with the game world, etc.
Beta weekend was a blast and last time I wanted to play something so badly was WotLK at release. The general vibe I got from the game chat was positive.

I'm gonna shill for Wildstar...
I enjoyed wildstar. It did have some graphical glitches for me at 1440p but from my understanding that's a new issue with the latest Nvidia drivers. I'll play it at launch.

Column_sl

shitlord
It's not just this board. That's everywhere on these specialized MMO sites, and streams. All these MMOs die so fast in the internet community it's crazy.

Just look at FF14, and we will probly see the same thing happen with Teso.

Now dead doesn't mean they don't have any subs, because even the starwars game is still surviving. It just means it will never be that huge success people want etc.

TheYanger

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Yeah threads everywhere are like 'game is nothing special quit at level 2' just like here. Game is fantastic, but the newbie experience is awful and it doesn't encourage you to play it 'correctly' for the first dozen levels minimum. Group content is a fucking blast though and even questing gets challenging if you don't do it well later on.