Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

odekthal_sl

shitlord
If all Players pass on a "Need before Greed" loot item then the system will now reward the loot item based on "Round Robin" rather than "Free For All".
Hm not sure if I like that. While still playing WoW I was on a server where it was custom to have all pass on loot and the recipient of loot was decided through a sort of loot council - which I liked more than simply pressing a GIVEME button.
Completing Dungeons and Adventures will now earn you reputation with your faction. This should provide an alternate means of reaching Beloved for the purposes of raid attunement, should a Player choose to not level through questing.
Well that speeds up attunement considerably.
Skullcano - Closed off a gap that allowed players to reach forbidden areas of the map.
Oh God I hope they also fixed the oboxious monkey VO which shouldn't be skipable now.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Restarted again. Still level 10 as my highest (lost access earlier, had the beta for 6 months and just couldn't get into it), but want to get to 15+ now to see if it gets better.

How come mmorpgs don't do what some single player games do? Start you off as very powerful with most of the basic high level stuff in a tutorial section, past life or some such, then strip you of the powers after it. That way you will get some idea of the end game and how it plays then instead of the incredibly boring tutorials having to level to 15+ to even know what the class can somewhat do. Start off with a "ohhh, is this what I can expect later? Awesome!" instead of "Omg... when will I get to the fun part!"

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Droigan thats actually a solid idea i think.... Perhaps a "quality of life" improvement that doesn't fuck over the genre!

Anyone have an extra key this weekend? Unable to really "get in", or even desire to play the game on the weekends i did thus far. But determined to try this weekend before I give up on the game.

So far game just seems like WoW in a crappy "comedy-scifi" setting. Starting to wonder if I have any future with these "normal MMRPGs" anymore. They are all basically WoW reskins, yet somehow far worse after a decade of "improvements".

Market needs an mmrpg that has appeal to more then simply MMO virgins or inexperienced types. Us slutty old neckbeards have had relations with too many, and desire something more kinky than vanilla wow clones.

Caliane

Some have tried it.

Simple starts aren't THAT bad. giving you too many skills right off the bat might be confusing for some, when they are just trying to learn how to move, dodge, etc.
Sitting there playing each class with 20 abilities to learn which you might want to play is a bad idea honestly.

What might be a better idea is to start you off, with a neutral class sortof. A class designed SOLELY for the tutorial. This class can have skills designed, purely to help you understand the game mechanics.
And while you are playing this class, you are teamed up with NPC's of the player classes you will pick after the tutorial.

Wildstarts tutorial problem is the shear crazy amount of talking, running from point A to B, and clicking, clicking, clicking.
You aren't even learning combat, or mechanics, you are just clicking on things in the environment, and learning lore apparently.

Give players a 20% run speed buff in the first zone. Would help speed up the progress through it. I think the main issue there is just the time it takes, to complete it.

Column_sl

shitlord
I think the best part of this game is the trollin the Advice chat channel.

I'm at 15 right now, but not sure I can stomach much more of it lol.
Definatelly don't want to do this shit again for launch, so I should probly just stop till the headstart happens.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
No realms are available? Been getting this all morning. This the server issue people are having?

Del

Vyemm Raider
Hardcore raiders will destroy the content upon release. Any developer who thinks otherwise isn't living in reality.

The only reason Wildstar's raid content won't be beat in the first two weeks is due to the rep grind for the key quest. That'll slow down all but a handful of guilds. If I had to guess:

June 18th for Genetic Archives & Mid/Late July for Datascape clears.
The beta guilds have been raiding Genetic Archives for about a year and still haven't killed the final 2 bosses. Just saying.

iannis

Musty Nester
Well... no they haven't.

There might have been a hand picked group of people running around in the zone for the past year. And considering the state that wilderrun released in they obviously have had a smaller beta wave testing content they didn't make available to the general closed beta population. Wilderrun was polished to a level that even zones they've had out in general beta were not.

But they haven't been raiding anything for the past year.

Stability and wide swings in game mechanics every month as well as the ongoing creation of the zone pretty much forbid what you're trying to imply being true. Up until a few months ago the last 2 bosses didn't even exist.

If that's what "hardcore raiding guilds" walk into, they'll quit in masses as soon as they see in. The days of furor ranting about cloth caps and everyone thinking that it's funny are long behind us.

That's why Carbine is gating the content behind non-negotiable time locks.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
How come mmorpgs don't do what some single player games do? Start you off as very powerful with most of the basic high level stuff in a tutorial section, past life or some such, then strip you of the powers after it. That way you will get some idea of the end game and how it plays then instead of the incredibly boring tutorials having to level to 15+ to even know what the class can somewhat do. Start off with a "ohhh, is this what I can expect later? Awesome!" instead of "Omg... when will I get to the fun part!"
So. Lol.

"Fuck your instant gratification, A.D.H.D personality.
05-03-2014 06:12 PM
Anonymous"

Can the silly anon person actually write why such an idea would be bad? My favorite game was EQ, staying stationary camping mobs for hours and days, I certainly don't think I have ADHD. But is it really bad to let people know what type of class they were getting into early on? To show end game mechanics early, giving you a chance to swap before you sink 100+ hours into it? And would it be bad showing off large a large fight utilizing some of those end game mechanics early on? Giving you a early on "This is insane, I can't do this!!" feeling, putting you right into the difficulty of a end game dungeon, where you are meant to die, but after you sink 100 hours into it and get some friends, you can revisit that dungeon and get revenge.

I really can not see the logic behind that being a bad idea, or anything that has something to do with instant gratification. It's simply the case of trying to make a better, more involved tutorial experience, showcasing the game, and not treating the audience like complete idiots (which you might be, who knows). Because Wildstars initial levels as it stands now is the most hand holdy mmo experience I've ever encountered.

Didn't Tera have a tutorial experience like this? IIRC it wasn't very long, and it didn't give you a level-capped char, but somewhere about halfway leveled I think. It was enough that having run it a few times I knew Lancer and Berserkers were the classes I liked.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Aion and Tera both had something like that, even though it was more limited in Aion and in Tera it was only lvl 20. Tera is also doing this again with the new class added, you progress faster cause you end up starting at 45 or some shit. Think DK in wow, where you'd start at 55 or whatever it was and acquire bunch of skills quickly.

I think being able to see how your class plays later on would be good, but at the same time I don't think most people care. They just pick something that "looks" good then play it badly for a while and quit when they get bored, not because the class doesn't fit them. Most people who care about classes will tend to get into open beta and play most classes to mid level to get a feel and do research on their choices anyway. I'd personally like it, but I see why they don't bother wasting ressources on it.

Caliane

Aion and Tera both had something like that, even though it was more limited in Aion and in Tera it was only lvl 20. Tera is also doing this again with the new class added, you progress faster cause you end up starting at 45 or some shit. Think DK in wow, where you'd start at 55 or whatever it was and acquire bunch of skills quickly.

I think being able to see how your class plays later on would be good, but at the same time I don't think most people care. They just pick something that "looks" good then play it badly for a while and quit when they get bored, not because the class doesn't fit them. Most people who care about classes will tend to get into open beta and play most classes to mid level to get a feel and do research on their choices anyway. I'd personally like it, but I see why they don't bother wasting ressources on it.
oh man. heres the plan. at level 10?, and 20? every mmo from now on.
Give a leveling reward, which increases exp gain for alts 200%, until level 10, and 20.

I'd personally like it, but I see why they don't bother wasting ressources on it.
It wouldn't really be wasted resources though when they already waste it on making "tutorial" areas, ones that people usually hate doing and want to skip through as soon as possible, they can just use that time to make better more informative ones.

They also have some different ways to do it like in GW2 where you can just go to heart of the mists or EQ2 now where you can use the heroic characters "try before you buy". They had a really nice one in Firefall when you don't even choose a class until the end of the tutorial where they let you play all of them before picking.

Column_sl

shitlord
Wildstar just suffers from Glut from 1-20. They just throw too much stuff at you.

They need less quests that give bigger EXP rewards, and force grouping like they did in FF14 imo. There's no reason to have 50000 quests by the time you hit 20..
Especially since their whole focus is end game.