Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

spronk

FPS noob
Another direct quote "Also, only the really easy encounters in Wildstar would have a dance phase as easy as Heigan's". Maybe I'm underestimating the community here, but it sounds impossible getting a fixed group of 20/40 people together that can do ultra-dances for giant Naxx sized raids every week. Either Carbine is way off about the difficulty or I predict people losing their collective minds over this game.

Basically, will classic Naxx raiding work in a 2014 MMO?
I'm really glad Wildstar is doing this, its going to finally answer this question. Can you make money catering to hardcore players, or must every game think first and foremost of the more casual playerbase to make money?

So far virtually everyone assumes the latter, Carbine is ignoring all research and data and doing what they think will work and I applaud them for it. I think ultimately they are going to be proved wrong and will have to cave, but good for them on trying and I hope I am wrong and they turn out to be wildly successful.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
You'd think that with that stance they wouldn't have made it visually appeal to 12 year olds.

I don't think it's going to work out for them at all. They'll have to cave soon. I expect announcements around the time nobody resubscribes.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Tossing around the "hardcore" buzz word and having a bunch of instanced raids does not an EQ/vanilla WoW make.

Toxxulian_sl

shitlord
visually appeal to 12 year olds.
I completely disagree with you. Just because you don't like it doesn't make it for children. I much rather prefer games that use stylized graphics instead of the ultra realistic. They age better, look at AoC, look at any "realistic" graphics from 5-8 years ago and compare them to the stylized graphics of the same time.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Lol those kind of statements "visually appeal to 12 year olds" make me laugh. Obviously someone grasping on to anything to explain them not liking something.

Xevy

Log Wizard
I think a lot of games make up with a lack of depth with shiny graphics. Hopefully this shit is ACTUALLY easier to run/work with come launch compared to your fucking mirror-armor korean tit fests people think are good, but have the staying appeal of Crazy Town.

Rope

Silver Knight of the Realm
I'm really glad Wildstar is doing this, its going to finally answer this question. Can you make money catering to hardcore players, or must every game think first and foremost of the more casual playerbase to make money?

So far virtually everyone assumes the latter, Carbine is ignoring all research and data and doing what they think will work and I applaud them for it. I think ultimately they are going to be proved wrong and will have to cave, but good for them on trying and I hope I am wrong and they turn out to be wildly successful.
This has been bugging me for awhile but when the fuck did hardcore = not standing in fire? The hardest part about any mmorpg nowadays is finding a guild with people who aren't retarded. Spending 20 minutes filling out some stupid shit guild recruitment form is the new hardcore. Hardcore hardcore hardcore. Hardcore.

spronk

FPS noob
at this point my definition of hardcore is logging in for 3-4 hours a night for 2-3 nights a week and playing with the same group of people for weeks on end, not giving up after 100 wipes in a row, and usually grouping with the same static group (for all content). casual is just logging in whenever you want and hoping something fun can be done in random, limited play times. Those are the two ends of the playerbase I'd say MMOs have to cater to.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
This has been bugging me for awhile but when the fuck did hardcore = not standing in fire? The hardest part about any mmorpg nowadays is finding a guild with people who aren't retarded. Spending 20 minutes filling out some stupid shit guild recruitment form is the new hardcore. Hardcore hardcore hardcore. Hardcore.
The meaning of hardcore has morphed over time sometimes coming full circle on itself in the process. There was a point during WoW where "hardcore" meant someone who had 40 hours minimum to raid per week. There have been times when it meant you had achieved X skill level achievement to show you could do a complex mechanic. And their have been times when it meant you played well and got along with a small group of people instead of pissing everyone off. There have been times when it meant any group size of X that completes a difficult dungeon.

And so on and so on..

Zionmaster_sl

shitlord
I completely disagree with you. Just because you don't like it doesn't make it for children. I much rather prefer games that use stylized graphics instead of the ultra realistic. They age better, look at AoC, look at any "realistic" graphics from 5-8 years ago and compare them to the stylized graphics of the same time.
Every time I see someone use the word "stylized" it makes me cringe because what it really means is shit graphics.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Lol those kind of statements "visually appeal to 12 year olds" make me laugh. Obviously someone grasping on to anything to explain them not liking something.
No I mean, why do you make a HARDCORE RAIDING GAME RAWWWWR that features a token bunny ear class and the color palette of a '90s raver?! The style is a complete mess! It's not about if I approve of it or not, I'm just pointing out how ridiculous the entire idea is.

It's not even going out on a limb to say that it'll fuckin' flop (or the design will have to pull a 180) real quick because of these issues, plus I'm sure dozens of issues that I've not even touched upon.

Edit: The two closest things to this are TERA and WoW, like it or not. Do you want your 10, 12, 20, 40, HOWEVER many people raid made up with people from those games? I hope you love those players, because that's all you're going to get.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
No I mean, why do you make a HARDCORE RAIDING GAME RAWWWWR that features a token bunny ear class and the color palette of a '90s raver?! The style is a complete mess! It's not about if I approve of it or not, I'm just pointing out how ridiculous the entire idea is.

It's not even going out on a limb to say that it'll fuckin' flop (or the design will have to pull a 180) real quick because of these issues, plus I'm sure dozens of issues that I've not even touched upon.
Actually it is apparently all about if you approve or not. Nothing about the graphics or color pallette or any other subjective art bullshit has anything to do with hard core raiding. WoW has already proven this.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Yeah, man. NOBODY hardcore ever played TERA or WoW. It was all 14 year old Aspberger kids and 39 year old housewives.

Rather then quoting stuff I'm just going to say everything you said is most likely going to be wrong, and very much, just opinion.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
Actually it is apparently all about if you approve or not. Nothing about the graphics or color pallette or any other subjective art bullshit has anything to do with hard core raiding. WoW has already proven this.
And WoW certainly aged better than any of the shit striving for realism in that era.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Edit: The two closest things to this are TERA and WoW, like it or not. Do you want your 10, 12, 20, 40, HOWEVER many people raid made up with people from those games? I hope you love those players, because that's all you're going to get.
WTF was this post, it literally made no sense. Especially the edit.