Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

Zionmaster_sl

shitlord
Yeah but no. Stylized can befuckinggorgeouswhendoneright.Most of the time it's the games that go for realism that end up looking like shit.

Wildstar's take on it isn't great though.
I'll agree with you on those games "I've no idea what those first two are" but the rest are single player only. Let me refine by saying I've yet to see stylized "done right" in mmo's. I realize i'm a minority in this thinking but games like wow, wildstar, that kind of stylized looks like shit to me. I guess I just prefer realism and I've been more impressed lately with mmo's that lean towards that than stylized.

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
So there's a Raid team AMA going on over at Reddit today.We are the WildStar Raids Team and we designed the most hardcore raids Nexus has ever seen! Ask of Anything! : WildStar

I'm curious to hear some thoughts on the realities of 20/40 man raids with lockouts per raid ID. With the lockouts like that, I can't imagine many spontaneously formed groups using their existing social features. Any group worthwhile will likely have to be a fixed group for the week and no one good enough to be in a fixed group will be able to help with any other group.

Another direct quote "Also, only the really easy encounters in Wildstar would have a dance phase as easy as Heigan's". Maybe I'm underestimating the community here, but it sounds impossible getting a fixed group of 20/40 people together that can do ultra-dances for giant Naxx sized raids every week. Either Carbine is way off about the difficulty or I predict people losing their collective minds over this game.

Basically, will classic Naxx raiding work in a 2014 MMO?
I don't think think this game (or any game) can sustain a 40 man raid end game. Even the best guilds had problems keeping 40 people raid ready in WoW, at a time when 40 man raids were a thing. Now Carbine thinks they will just resurrect it without any problems? And without nerfing the difficulty? I don't think so. This game is great in many ways, but when it comes to raiding it feels like the developers have been stuck in a bubble for the last 10 years and think that nothing has changed in the genre.

Maybe I'm wrong and Wildstar will enjoy a large, active base of subscribers, but from everything I've heard come out of the developers mouths it's seems like they've narrowed their focus so extremely on a demographic that isn't large enough to maintain a subscription MMO on anything more than a life support basis that they've left themselves no room to maneuver. Maybe that's ballsy, maybe it's stupid, but it's definitely a huge risk.

I'm really glad Wildstar is doing this, its going to finally answer this question. Can you make money catering to hardcore players, or must every game think first and foremost of the more casual playerbase to make money?
At least there is this. There is no doubt that Wildstar is a well made game, so if this experiment fails it will boil down to their development philosophy and not because the game was just shit. I think without the, vastly larger, casual playerbase they are dead in the water without caving at some point down the line. Even worse, because of how it's been marketed with all the talk of "hardcore" and "difficulty", if it does crash and burn and they are forced to capitulate, it's likely to piss off the core players that would be just fine playing a niche game catered to just them.

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
I don't think that WoW ever proved numerically and in a statically acceptable way that reducing raid size (and difficulty) increaded their subscriptions number and/or retention. During TBC they reached and passed the 6 millions mark and if you exclude the oriental market, which wasn't implemented in those years, the western subs were floating along those numbers for a very long time, including WotLK.
So, no, I don't think they'll get away with 1 difficulty or 40-sized raids so easily, but I wouldn't dismiss it right away, maybe large raids are not a bad thing.

DMK_sl

shitlord
I've got to say I'm a fan of stylized graphics I think they are much more immersive then 'realism graphics' but fuck me Wildstar's graphics are terrible for 2014. Seriously on Ultra it looks the same as WoW maybe worse. I know graphics don't mean much but there has to be a certain level I think. The game is laggy as fuck as well doesn't even run smoothly!!

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I've got to say I'm a fan of stylized graphics I think they are much more immersive then 'realism graphics' but fuck me Wildstar's graphics are terrible for 2014. Seriously on Ultra it looks the same as WoW maybe worse. I know graphics don't mean much but there has to be a certain level I think. The game is laggy as fuck as well doesn't even run smoothly!!
Laggy as in frame rate or laggy as in ping? The game runs very smooth on most computers, some people are having problems with fps because of certain hardware. As for the comparison to WoW. No clue wtf you are talking about since I have looked at them side by side and Wildstar looks better from a technical view. If you prefer the art of WoW that's just a different matter.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
WTF was this post, it literally made no sense. Especially the edit.
The basic idea is that this game is going to be filled with degenerates. The goal of the game is to gather 40 (right?) like minded people and fight boss fights that profess to be tougher than WoW - maybe on par with WoW at release.

I don't think it'll end up being as fun as most people think.

Maybe I'm wrong and this is the game you and everyone else is looking for. I certainly hope you find your game, but I'm very skeptical that this is it.

Toxxulian_sl

shitlord
i'm with this guy, sums up my feelings on teso and wildstar 100%
Just Not Feeling the Hype: ESO WildStar | Sygnus Fantasy, Gaming, Writing, Geek Blog
If you're honestly getting a headache from watching those videos I don't know what to say.

Obviously they chose the most insane parts of those fights to showcase the raids, they are not going to be like that 100% of the time. But hey, if you are looking at stuff to bitch about, go right ahead. I believe they are doing a fantastic job showing off what we are to expect from this game. Carbine is as transparent as they can be, it's refreshing.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Just Not Feeling the Hype: ESO WildStar | Sygnus Fantasy, Gaming, Writing, Geek Blog
I think a lot of people are getting mmo burn out due to the fact it's just the same thing over and over. Archage really seems to be the only game that has something different to offer and even that suffers from unoriginal combat. Black Desert could be a game changer but I wont get excited about a game that has no publisher for NA and no time table to be released. I guess I keep getting these MMO's because I do really enjoy that first month of play when it's new. I think ESO was the first game I couldn't last a month in, that was because of a lot of bad luck with my account bugging out because of bugs and other shit that other people didn't get.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
tougher than WoW - maybe on par with WoW at release.
Are you serious with this? Comparing how hard fights now with Vanilla just illustrates you have no idea how hard either sets of those are. Heroic fights in Wrath and Cata and Mists are much harder than Vanilla ever was.

Deisun_sl

shitlord
That article describes exactly the way I feel lately as well. So much so that I've barely even bothered to put any effort into the Beta for both of these games and will not purchase them.
Something is just missing...maybe I'm getting bored of games as I grow older. Not sure yet, but there's definitely a void of excitement and emotions lately for me. I don't know what it's going to take to bring me back.

spronk

FPS noob
play single player games, I just reinstalled mass effect 1-3 and am having an absolute BLAST playing them and getting totally immersed into the world. plan on doing Assassins Creed next. 2-3 years in the MMO desert and maybe i'll come back, but for now, its just more fun reading about em than playing em

i do like everquest landmark but i get bored too easily and have to admit i am really not creative enough to do anything cool, i just end up building big dicks

Guzrog

<Gold Donor>
play single player games, I just reinstalled mass effect 1-3 and am having an absolute BLAST playing them and getting totally immersed into the world. plan on doing Assassins Creed next. 2-3 years in the MMO desert and maybe i'll come back, but for now, its just more fun reading about em than playing em

i do like everquest landmark but i get bored too easily and have to admit i am really not creative enough to do anything cool, i just end up building big dicks
I envy you sir. Try as I might I genuinely think EQ ruined me for single player games. For whatever reason even if I'm soloing I like to be hopping on a server to do it. I've tried to get into nearly every AAA single player game that's come out and outside of Ratchet and Clank I haven't beaten one in a decade. I just don't get immersed in them or enjoy them for more than 30-45 minutes then I'm done.

I do agree with the others in that while I love Wildstar I can already tell it won't stick for me and I've barely put any time in it. ESO was probably the first AAA I never pulled the trigger on after a 5 minute beta stint. Probably driven by the fact I hated skyrim (because single player.)

Salshun_sl

shitlord
I haven't logged in in like a month but a couple of work buddies have been playing and I'm looking to get back into it. I've been in closed beta for about 4 months. What's the schedule for closed beta look like? Will I be able to play up until launch?

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
I see no reason for them to shut down the CB servers anytime soon especially since you can spend real money and buy packs. Why stop that? In any event I'd expect CB/OB to last at least through September when the MTG patents expire.

Salshun_sl

shitlord
I see no reason for them to shut down the CB servers anytime soon especially since you can spend real money and buy packs. Why stop that? In any event I'd expect CB/OB to last at least through September when the MTG patents expire.
Even with a June 3rd launch date?

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
I fail so hard I'm not even going to edit my post. I'm just going to accept my fail and slink away quietly. Please ignore everything I said.

odekthal_sl

shitlord
@salshun: there's no more closed beta. open beta will be up until sunday 11:59pm pdt. after that who knows but they hinted at something called "ops week"