Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

Mahstah_sl

shitlord
Would appreciate if more people who are on the google docs picked a server or indicated that they don't care. Obviously regardless of the decision some people won't be happy but it'd be nice to have a bit more input on that front.
Do not care at all. At this point I would say just pick one. It sounds like either Storm or Care are the places to be.

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
I still only have the guildex website to go on, which is still showing storm at over twice the guilds of care, so that's my vote.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Every poll I see for this game whether it's servers/server type/class type/race type/faction are all eerily balanced. Maybe the "boring" classes and races they added were the magic needed to restore balance. It's the Vader's death of game design.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
About Soldier. That was my initial plan, because the evac seemed useful and some of the dropped weapons are useful(very long range pulling on the sniper rifle for example). However the evac doesn't pick the nearest rez point, rather it sends you to a set place in each zone. For dungeons that may or may not be a problem, but for questing out in the world it is kind of annoying when you just want to turn in a quest and it sends you halfway across the map to a place you haven't even visited before. Also, you get no regular exp from the mobs you kill for the soldier quests, just path exp. If someone helps you they also get path exp for whatever path they do. They can sometimes count for quests you may be on however.

Settler to me is the best, the run speed + exp bonus are sweet while leveling, and most of the shit drops from mobs. Scientist is good too. Explorer and soldier seem kind of meh.

Caliane

About Soldier. That was my initial plan, because the evac seemed useful and some of the dropped weapons are useful(very long range pulling on the sniper rifle for example). However the evac doesn't pick the nearest rez point, rather it sends you to a set place in each zone. For dungeons that may or may not be a problem, but for questing out in the world it is kind of annoying when you just want to turn in a quest and it sends you halfway across the map to a place you haven't even visited before. Also, you get no regular exp from the mobs you kill for the soldier quests, just path exp. If someone helps you they also get path exp for whatever path they do. They can sometimes count for quests you may be on however.

Settler to me is the best, the run speed + exp bonus are sweet while leveling, and most of the shit drops from mobs. Scientist is good too. Explorer and soldier seem kind of meh.
some classes have "vanish" as well.
Spellslinger does for sure. the phasewalk drops combat. This works in adventures. not sure about raid bosses or dungeons.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Anyone have thoughts on if Stalker or Warrior will a better tank option in raids?
I think the consensus is "no one knows" and "its subject to change".

Seriously; warriors used to be the worst tank due to threat issues. One of the recent patches changed that but I have no idea if they're relatively balanced now.

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
Explorer can use those flags to run at warp speed through zones, which is kinda fun, but it takes quite a lot of time to finish a whole zone with that path, nonetheless if your machine can handle it, running at that speed it's worth the price of the ticket, so to say.
Soldier's the fastest to complete (usually) and can get nice and easy path exp and often kills for holdouts are shared with some quests you may be on, speeding up the process. The evac is okay, nothing too useful, I think it ports to a set area for each zone, EQ style.

The esper is a fun class imo and it's quite good at killing even 2+ mobs, with some kiting involved etc. It's no engineer, but their first pet can generate good threat and give room to setup a couple of quick bursty birds. Healing with the esper is not bad either, the spender is awesome (reverie), but 2 builders are targeted and not freeform, leaving you only with soothe for raid healing (which is ok by itself) and mind over body for tank healing, with the hot, bolster, being weak, but a very god psi generator.
To be honest each class has pros and cons right now, initially I liked spellslinger, but the innate is so absurde it turned me off. Medic sound fx is atrocious and esper has a few issues. I think I'll decide at the char creation screen what to roll. At this pace I'll end up tanking
biggrin.png

About tanks: forums folks are all over the place now, stalkers suck and stalkers are still good, depends who you ask to, they have to work for threat now where before they had an easier time (too easy probably), warriors are now good, they had threat problems before, engineers were always quite good and have at least two good builds for tanking. I think they can all do their job, but sooner or later math will be done and the best will come out. Pre last patch stalkers were slightly better than the other two, now I have no idea.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Little late to the party and thread is moving fast, has there been a pre-order deal anywhere that's going on that's better than all the rest?

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
Little late to the party and thread is moving fast, has there been a pre-order deal anywhere that's going on that's better than all the rest?
There was a 25% code off from Green Man Gaming but I think it expired recently. Here's a 22% off one that works with Wildstar: QUK706-XWFKI6-8UK3NL.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
At this pace I'll end up tanking
biggrin.png
I've played a tank in every MMO since WOW classic. I love tanking. That being said, I really hate some specific issues. It seems abnormally difficult to get into a decent guild -- their core members seem to have the tank role on lockdown. I also absolutely hate how tank specs are generally garbage for pvp. Re-learning a class from the ground up at level cap really frustrated me in WoW; I loved my brewmaster =/.

I think I'm going esper heals in WS just to try and be a snowflake.

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
I think I'm going esper heals in WS just to try and be a snowflake.
Honestly if you're looking to have a 'spot' at the end game I think that's probably the best bet. Espers aren't terribly popular and they're probably the best tank healers.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Eidal I had the same thought as you with tank vs. healer. I like tanking, but most guilds have tanks covered. I think you only need 3-5 tanks for 40m and 2-4 for 20m? Something like that. Esper is a very poorly designed class though as the dps rotation is like two spells (spender/finisher) which you get at level 4. The healing seems interesting, so at least that's different, but you still end up spamming combo points and then dumping a finisher.

I'm seriously thinking about playing one still, but I'm still leaning towards warrior. Might be a game time decision.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
In closed beta if you got to a certain level you got a hoverboard as a reward that would be tied to your account when the game goes live. Anyone know how they will deliver those and what level you can use it? Also have they given any official confirmation of when servers come up? I know people are saying 12:01 am pdt but I can find an official post on it.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Overall, I'm not too concerned about my specific class being relevant at end-game. Time has shown that the meta shifts and unless you're competing for world firsts, a good player will figure out how to make his class perform at the desired role. I'm leaning towards heals this time around because in the past it was demoralizing trying to test out a raid game when the only guilds that need you are non-functional guilds that need everything.

Ryoz

<Donor>
Any additional thoughts on how many raid days? Realistically, if there are some who can raid fewer than 5 days, will there be spots for those people? Or will there be a B team?

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
In closed beta if you got to a certain level you got a hoverboard as a reward that would be tied to your account when the game goes live. Anyone know how they will deliver those and what level you can use it? Also have they given any official confirmation of when servers come up? I know people are saying 12:01 am pdt but I can find an official post on it.
Yes. It's 12:01 AM PDT --- The question is answered in the pre-order F.A.Q.

Link:http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/preorder/

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
Any additional thoughts on how many raid days? Realistically, if there are some who can raid fewer than 5 days, will there be spots for those people? Or will there be a B team?
I anticipate that most people will want to raid fewer than 5 days a week, in talking to people it feels that most are comfortable with 3 days a week and maybe an added day or two during progression. It's a tough question to answer precisely though. Lets look at what we know so far:

We have about 60 people signed up on the google docs and there's easily been about 20-30 more that sent me a PM saying they'd come play but didn't sign the doc. Before doing the 40 man, which is obviously the end goal, we'll have to go through the 20 man. That's probably going to lead to a fair bit of drama in terms of making sure that we have two equal groups doing the 20 man without making anyone feel like there's an A team or a B team. It's also critical that both groups are clearing the instance and not just failing on the first boss - which might require us to shift around members between teams if neccessary.

How I'm thinking we'll set it up (which will likely change quite a bit):

We'll set up two raid schedules and players will be able to choose based on their preference. For example, raid group 1 will do Monday, Wednesday, Saturday with optional Sundays and raid group 2 will do Tuesday, Thursday, Friday with optional Sundays (this is just an example!). That way people get to pick based on what's most convenient for them. Once we move onto the 40 man, we'll focus on the days that are best for the majority of players in order to have a 40 man raid force and move the 20 man raid schedule to the off days / optional days. The goal being to keep a 3 day a week raid schedule and then based on what people want to do add additional days.

Sorry if that isn't as detailed as I know some people want - a lot of the questions about scheduling really end up only being answerable once we have an accurate idea of how many people are going to make it to level 50 and want to raid (which we'll only know after launch).