Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

Carl_sl

shitlord
I thought the asteroid event was at least kind of interesting even though there were soo many people joining in that im not sure i got a hit on any of the enemies.

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
Warriors the best tank? Thinking about doing a tank/healer duo of warrior + spellslinger. Any other suggestions, or is this a solid way to go?
During beta the best was the stalker for a good while, but it was marginal. Warriors had enormous threat problems, which have been fixed by now (I think last large beta patch did that).
Some among the things left to balance are dps tiers, as there is a large discrepancy between top dps and bottom (well over 30% if not 40%) and healing, especially for focus management (esper > slinger >>> medic).

Neno

Lord Nagafen Raider
I really enjoy the game play and the telegraphs + dodging stuff is just the right amount of action for me. I am however having a hard time feeling immersed. None of the questing areas I've gone to so far have felt memorable in any way. I'm not even sure what the names of the towns I've been to are. The instances I've watched videos of do look pretty cool and boss fights look fun but everything outside of them just feels kind of meh. I'm not sure if this is actually due to the game itself or because I'm not a huge sci-fi person.

Carl_sl

shitlord
If you're not to the point where you can do dungeons yet, you're probably still in the middle of the early zones where they just kinda dump a million quests on you and have you running all over the place. Each section of a zone later on starts to develop specific goals that your quests work towards. It's still the same simple grind, just less of an explosion of seemingly unrelatedness.

Guzrog

<Gold Donor>
I really enjoy the game play and the telegraphs + dodging stuff is just the right amount of action for me. I am however having a hard time feeling immersed. None of the questing areas I've gone to so far have felt memorable in any way. I'm not even sure what the names of the towns I've been to are. The instances I've watched videos of do look pretty cool and boss fights look fun but everything outside of them just feels kind of meh. I'm not sure if this is actually due to the game itself or because I'm not a huge sci-fi person.
Are you reading the quests? I'm enjoying the story there is. It slowly ramps up IMO. Exile anyway. Like the whole huge robot area in Algoroc and Gallow's struggles.

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
Am I the only one who prefers to be left alone killing random monsters learning my class for the first couple of levels. Then start grouping with other people or friends to tackle harder mobs? Maybe at around level 6-8 start crawling dungeons... without all this retarded tasks system being told to run from point A to B to C for no good reason?

I find MMORPGs now are HARD to get into. It's all about "can I overcome the overwhelmingly boring experience till level 20 so I can maybe try a dungeon with friends?" I usually can't manage to take all this torture to reach that point of being with friends playing a dungeon. The solo-experience is too freaking dull I couldn't do it even if you pay me money.

Besides why do I have to kill 10 monsters here and interact with 6 objects there? Is this fun?
What's the difference between that and me killing random monsters at my own pace. I decide when to venture farther and try harder mobs.
No, you aren't. My favorite part about these games, in the beginning, was exploring the zones and finding new and interesting creatures to fight. These days it's constant hand holding while you ride the roller coaster to the end game. Unfortunately the kind of MMOs that let you do your own thing don't really exist anymore so we have to make due with what we have. The questing in Wildstar pretty much sucks, but the combat is good enough that it makes the slog a little more tolerable.

Engineer is top DPS end game right now but a total ball ache to level from 25 - 50

Medic is poor to mediocre DPS end game but a blast to level. I'd also take Esper or SS healing over a Medic any day.
Bummer. So far my experience with the Medic is just as you say, a blast to play. It kinda sucks to have to choose between fun and useless or "ball ache" and top end damage. I know they will eventually get around to sorting the classes out, but I've been in too many MMOs where classes stay overpowered or shit for months on end and it's no fun being one of the latter while you wait until they get around to working on it.

Why is engineer shitty to level (as I'm leveling it right now).
My gripe with it are the pets. You can either ditch them and lose considerable dps or you can keep them and aggro everything around you constantly. Switching to the Medic really opened my eyes to just how bad the aggro range is with the Engineer.

TheYanger

Bronze Knight of the Realm
The pets aren't THAT hard to control. You can dismiss them at all, make them stay, or just mount up and they unsummon. People overblow the shit out of them. Are they annoying? yes. You NEED that dismiss button bound sometimes, but outdoor questing? totally trivial. Raids and shit where there's not a lot of running around getting them stuck on shit? trivial as well.

The only people that make 'botless' builds are actually fucking retarded.

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
No, you aren't. My favorite part about these games, in the beginning, was exploring the zones and finding new and interesting creatures to fight. These days it's constant hand holding while you ride the roller coaster to the end game. Unfortunately the kind of MMOs that let you do your own thing don't really exist anymore so we have to make due with what we have. The questing in Wildstar pretty much sucks, but the combat is good enough that it makes the slog a little more tolerable.
First world problems and all, but I agree that most of the quests in Wildstar are truly horrible, pretty much all those under the category "tasks". I prefer their challenges, when it's not just a kill so many of these shits in no time, but more like when it's hyper jump stuff and funny crap in general.
I'd have certainly adored a levelling GW2 style, where you don't even talk to NPCs, you just go around and things are presented to you and all you open completing hearts is a useless merchant.

This been said if you ignore tasks and just kill everything that moves, up to and including mobs intended for small groups, the challenge is there and the fun too. Add to that the explorer path and you'll find an awesome game, but if you stick in completing tasks, you'll be bored to tears, you'll find your self with green tasks more often than not, you'll outlevel content and get way less exp from mob kills and so on and so forth. Basically you make the game 100% on rail, giving up that little freedom that is left.

About your medic, I wouldn't be worried, you'll get in the middle of the pack in the next month and maybe even on top. Carbine so far delivered, I guess they'll stick to this mentality.

velk

Trakanon Raider
In the two adventures and one dungeon I have run, the stalker players were always taking more damage than the tank and usually the first one to die. Safe to assume main problem was L2P on their part?
Yes and no, the game is waving the 'fuck melee' flag pretty vigorously. As you notice when the very first group content has the pbaoe blade whirlwind boss and the chain of a thousand knockbacks boss ( fuck you Esper channelers ;p ).

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
Cool the patch fucked up ground targeting.....can't complete this quest or use 2 of my abilities effectively.

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
--Edit-- And to add to that, Im sure its a good thing that Veteran Dungeons are practically unpuggable. To actively raid in this game, you've got to have the numbers. Two raids worth of 25ish people so the guild can move into the 40 person raid and have around 50 active people within the guild. So difficulty in dungeons is going to cause people to clump together so they can quickly have a group players that they know are skilled which easily transitions into larger guilds. WoW for example you dont need but maybe 12 people to do 10 man content, which is the pinnacle, and you can easily PuG just about everything but the last 4-5 bosses in Heroic.
If I recall, RIFT was this way too in the beginning; the hardmode dungeons were damn near impossible with a pug. Hell, they were damn near impossible with anyone. Eventually though, they caved and that shit got watered down. I wonder if these guys will stick to their guns and keep the difficulty amped?

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
If I recall, RIFT was this way too in the beginning; the hardmode dungeons were damn near impossible with a pug. Hell, they were damn near impossible with anyone. Eventually though, they caved and that shit got watered down. I wonder if these guys will stick to their guns and keep the difficulty amped?
I can see them doing that as a reaction to dropping subs. Actually, let me clarify, I can seeNCSofttelling them to do that if NCSoft sees dropping subs. I have no doubt that Carbine is pretty good at what they do, but the fact that NCSoft publishes this sends bad vibes all over for the future. The only exception I guess would be GW2 but that's not a sub model anyway.

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
One thing they could probably do is keep the dungeons and raids hard, but maybe make adventures much more PUG friendly? If they did that coupled with a decent solo system (dailies etc) that people can decently progress in gear, they may find a nice sweet spot. However, if they want dungeons and raids to be the only way to progress with gear, then they may not have a choice.

So far I am enjoying the game ok. The UI seems a bit clunky right now, but I think that's more from inexperience than anything, like I couldn't figure out for the life me how to see how many bags I had equipped, since I was so used to WoW having it right there in the open. But at the same time, I can't help but think, yes, it is there, but I just wonder why it had to be hidden? And I find myself asking that question on other things as well.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
I thought farside was the best ;P
Farside was the first place I really got my head handed to me in places. Those fucking flying jellyfish hurt my widdle Esper something bad.

The plus side was the jumping. That was insanely fun and the type of mindless goofing around that more games need.

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
I can see them doing that as a reaction to dropping subs. Actually, let me clarify, I can seeNCSofttelling them to do that if NCSoft sees dropping subs. I have no doubt that Carbine is pretty good at what they do, but the fact that NCSoft publishes this sends bad vibes all over for the future. The only exception I guess would be GW2 but that's not a sub model anyway.
First I don't think WS will be sub based forever, just a sensation. GW2 was nerfed so much from beta to live, it's barely the same game in terms of difficulty, but little timmies everywhere, etc.
I think WS now poses a good challenge, I hope it remains the same, if it becomes retard-friendly, I won't hesitate to drop it in a heartbeat.

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
I think the cred system is an amazing way to get over the monthly hump that most MMOs face. I know a crazy amount of people that stacked up on playtime via it and NCSoft ends up getting the same amount of cash. I say that Wildstar stays a sub based game for a long time to come and avoids the exodus after a month that every MMO has faced just because of it.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
The pets aren't THAT hard to control. You can dismiss them at all, make them stay, or just mount up and they unsummon. People overblow the shit out of them. Are they annoying? yes. You NEED that dismiss button bound sometimes, but outdoor questing? totally trivial. Raids and shit where there's not a lot of running around getting them stuck on shit? trivial as well.

The only people that make 'botless' builds are actually fucking retarded.
Yeah one of the two bots is dismissed when you mount and then frequently it's cooldown isn't off when you've moved to your next pull spot.

They are an absolute pain in the bollocks, simple as. One of the bots remains summoned when you mount - other classes pets don't have aggro issues - no reason why they can't be perma summoned and non aggro. It would help if they at least obeyed the stance you set them to consistently.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Every game surprises me by how affordable the sub is via in-game money, then I realize... in Eve, Tera, and now WS: sub takes 4-6 hours of end-game farming. This seems weird to me, then I realize... some gamers make more than $3 an hour and don't give a fuck about $15.