Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

Volto!

Lord Nagafen Raider
Can anyone suggest a solid warrior tanking guide, or just PM me with some serious warrior tanking knowledge. I'd rather be DPS'ing on my warrior, but if I have to wait in another queue for 35 minutes so the entire group can bail after the first wipe, I'm going to throw my computer out of a window. I figure if I'm tanking, at least I can get instant queues and it won't be a big deal if and (inevitably) when it happens.

Hopefully I'll just hit 50 soon and can join in on some of the guilds' premades...assuming there is anyone who still needs non-veteran dungeons/adventures. You need to clear the regulars before doing the veterans, right?

Weaponsfree_sl

shitlord
The worst thing about this game, hands down, is the faction system. I have been helped and pseudo-grouped more times with Exiles than anyone else. We kill stuff together, we laugh together, we race each other for challenges. Why do we speak different languages again? Why is there no betrayal option at least? Why not be able to guild with them?

Oh, right. No reason.

Rogosh

Lord Nagafen Raider
The worst thing about this game, hands down, is the faction system. I have been helped and pseudo-grouped more times with Exiles than anyone else. We kill stuff together, we laugh together, we race each other for challenges. Why do we speak different languages again? Why is there no betrayal option at least? Why not be able to guild with them?

Oh, right. No reason.
Because the designers are mostly wow fags, where they gave the same reason.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Yup they did. Was in the middle of a WotW and they just crashed. Can't even connect now

Underjoyed_sl

shitlord

Oh, right. No reason.
because creating a faction system like they did 20 years ago in EQ would be too difficult with today's technology.... wait, wut?

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
What's the Dominion guild name? I keep thinking I'm running into RR people on my exile.

And yes, I keep pseudo-grouping with Dominions to finish quests and shit. Only time I don't help is when they pull a 5man mob and attempt to solo it. Prime is one thing, 5 man prime is another.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>

Oh, right. No reason.
4 months down the line when population is in the shitter, they might just do what RIFT did, and get rid of the hard coded 2 faction crap; at least as far as grouping/guilding with them.

Fogia_sl

shitlord
Wondering if I, and some friends who are playing a lot less than me, should try this out. How are the questing and dungeons compared to Rift ? For reference, I found the Rift questing a bit boring but somehow tolerable. The dungeons were fun, esp. with friends.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Wondering if I, and some friends who are playing a lot less than me, should try this out. How are the questing and dungeons compared to Rift ? For reference, I found the Rift questing a bit boring but somehow tolerable. The dungeons were fun, esp. with friends.
Reminds me a lot of Rift. Questing in WS was a drag until about 25ish -- the lower level zones have too many quests. Once you get to Farside things seem to clean up though. One noticeable difference is that Rift normal mode dungeons were pretty easy -- you had a reasonable expectation of completion in a PUG. This is not true in WS. People aren't really getting effective dungeon practice while leveling and aren't prepared in the slightest for vet dungeons.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I would say that the normal versions at least give you a good grasp of the boss mechanics. I certainly can't imagine walking into Stormtalon's Lair on Vet without ever having done it on normal first.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
I would say that the normal versions at least give you a good grasp of the boss mechanics. I certainly can't imagine walking into Stormtalon's Lair on Vet without ever having done it on normal first.
Yea, I'm assuming that the average WS player doesn't queue for dungeons until 50. Even for those that do, I don't think the success rate is very high. I did Skullcano with two buddies (we were all 50, mentored down to 35) and probably wiped 10 times figuring out boss/trash mechanics. The fire gambit in there made one of our DPS ragequit. We didn't read any guides and tank had mostly DPS gear so we definitely weren't min-maxing it, but that probably matches the average PUG. I'd love to see Carbine's metrics for percentage of playerbase beating group content.

EDIT: I didn't do any dungeons leveling up but of course I'll run them in normal and let the LFD mentor me in prior to vet content. I'm hearing a lot of complaints on forums/reddit about people just strolling into vets at 50 thinking it'll be cool. I think Carbine should consider something similar to Rift's system of gating the T2 experts.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I'm doing dungeons while leveling and the wait times aren't outrageous, so I am assuming that there are plenty of people doing them. Just hit 35 so I will try Skullcano maybe this weekend. It really varies, I have been in a couple of groups that just could not fathom interrupting the shaman's heals in the trash packs in Stormtalon. I would say the majority are on the ball, though, and pick things up.

Junun

Silver Knight of the Realm
I've been mostly skipping the regular dungeons while leveling simply for the fact they arent worth the time/frustration/gear/exp while leveling. Which means when I get 50 I'll be stepping into vets without much knowledge of the dungeons. I'm ok with them being difficult, but Carbine really needs to give some incentive to running them while leveling.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
I've been mostly skipping the regular dungeons while leveling simply for the fact they arent worth the time/frustration/gear/exp while leveling. Which means when I get 50 I'll be stepping into vets without much knowledge of the dungeons. I'm ok with them being difficult, but Carbine really needs to give some incentive to running them while leveling.
Don't be that guy. Just run the normal version of it -- the game will de-level you to 20 or 35 and scale your stats.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Don't be that guy. Just run the normal version of it -- the game will de-level you to 20 or 35 and scale your stats.
One thing about this make sure if you are going in deleveled especially if you are coming from 50 to have all blue level 50 gear. The gear downgrading if you have greens is freaking weird. I have gone from tanking a zone no problem at all to then trying it deleveled with a couple pieces of green gear and just face planting over and over. I am not sure exactly what is going on with the deleveling but it seems to be putting green quality gear below the level you are deleveled to so you can go from having good enough stats to holy shit what happened.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Could someone talk to me like I'm 5 about catalysts? The crafting interface seems to think I have only one on my person at all times for a given tier of work, and it's not the one I WANT to use, so I'm assuming either UI glitch, or it's very dependent on what I want to make.

@Intrinsic: Right now I'm doing the following for heals (going left to right on action bar; no number means base rank). Disclaimer is that I'm likely to change this all.

ABILITIES

- Emission 8
- Crisis Wave
- Flash 4
- Shield Surge
- Rejuvenator
- Mending Probes 4
- Antidote 1
- Recharge 4

AMPs

A/S
- Critical Hits III

SUPPORT
- All Tier 1.
- Armor Coating
- Reboot
- Rejuvenator
- Running on Empty

UTILITY
- Cooldowns III
- Solid State
- Regenerator
- Protection Probes

I'm probably going to respec out of the utility (except cooldowns) because I don't really use it aside from the cooldown passive, but I might keep Protection Probes when Genetic Archives comes up (which is mostly why I got it in the first place). If I do so, Hypercharge and Emergency would probably be added (replacing Prot+Regenerator and Solid State), and the last 4 points I'm not sure yet.
Thanks. I'm running a little different right now and still playing around. I didn't see a need to double up on Crisis Wave + Flash since I'm primarily using the T4 Mending + Flash combo along with T8 Emission. Is Antidote needed or is that more situational? I can't remember using it in a dungeon yet (maybe Stonetalon?) and have Prot Probes slotted now. Also not using Rejuvenator but probably should since I took it back when T3s first opened up and didn't know what I was doing, could replace Empowering Probes with that, just wanted a little Utility in the build.

AMPs are harder decision for me. I did not take any of Focus Regen in T1 because 0.3 per second doesn't seem worth the investment, but do like the rest. I'd pick up the Crit Aura like Cinge asks about but no idea wtf I'd want in T1 to open it up.

50g seems like so much to respec AMPs.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Use strikethrough in t1 to unlock if you go for the crit aura. It helps shieldsurge do ancillary damage when it hits mobs plus you may be called on / elect to interrupt and you don't want that deflected if you can help it.

I kept Crisis Wave on my bar for ages and finally dumped it in favor of probsplosion as my emergency heal. I figure if I am ever in a situation where I feel I NEED Crisis Wave then we are already proper fucked. Just redid my AMPs to get Protection Probes and subbed out Field Probes. I like Field Probes a lot, but getting anyone but me to stand in them is just not happening.

Important tip: if you have an Eng tank then get them to dump repair bot if you are using Reboot. The periodic 300 shield 'heal' the bot does fucks up the several thousand effect from Reboot.

Heallun

Lord Nagafen Raider
Use strikethrough in t1 to unlock if you go for the crit aura. It helps shieldsurge do ancillary damage when it hits mobs plus you may be called on / elect to interrupt and you don't want that deflected if you can help it.

I kept Crisis Wave on my bar for ages and finally dumped it in favor of probsplosion as my emergency heal. I figure if I am ever in a situation where I feel I NEED Crisis Wave then we are already proper fucked. Just redid my AMPs to get Protection Probes and subbed out Field Probes. I like Field Probes a lot, but getting anyone but me to stand in them is just not happening.

Important tip: if you have an Eng tank then get them to dump repair bot if you are using Reboot. The periodic 300 shield 'heal' the bot does fucks up the several thousand effect from Reboot.
I've also found bots to be just problematic while in dungeons as well
frown.png
They hit random things and go off on their own too often. Which is a shame because bruiser bot is the titties.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
Can anyone suggest a solid warrior tanking guide, or just PM me with some serious warrior tanking knowledge. I'd rather be DPS'ing on my warrior, but if I have to wait in another queue for 35 minutes so the entire group can bail after the first wipe, I'm going to throw my computer out of a window. I figure if I'm tanking, at least I can get instant queues and it won't be a big deal if and (inevitably) when it happens.

Hopefully I'll just hit 50 soon and can join in on some of the guilds' premades...assuming there is anyone who still needs non-veteran dungeons/adventures. You need to clear the regulars before doing the veterans, right?
It's really simple. Use Polarity Field and Menacing Strike, both T8 at 50. Use your innate and defense grid for defensive cooldowns. Use Atomic Surge as your taunt. Keep kick and grapple on your bar at all times, and when facing something with 2 interrupt armor just go T8 kick and go down to T5 polarity so you can interrupt spells on your own. The 7th ability is always going to be power link. Never be without power link, it's simply too good. The last ability is situational. You can add another interrupt, a leap/charge, or an additional damage/threat generator if needed(Rampage, yes the assault one, or Atomic Spear), or a CC break.

Pull with polarity, spam menacing strikes and once you hit full KE use rampage. It's a significant damage increase and a moderate threat increase. Sync up powerlinks to MoO chances, and use your interrupts to keep bad shit from happening. Warrior tanking is really pretty simple. The hardest part is getting stuff stacked up so you can hit it with everything. We have ridiculous mobility, great cooldowns, and our damage added via powerlink is nuts. You just have to keep threat, which isn't half as hard as people on the official forums make it out to be. I'm through all the vets now and I wouldn't trade our 17 second interrupts and mobility for anything.