Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

Caliane

Why is Credd so fucking confusing? Casuals and people that want more gold buy the Credd. People who don't want to pay a sub and play a lot buy the Credd from players. If you are willing to pay $19.99 for Credd then you sure the fuck don't care about that 15 buck sub. Casuals buy gold way more then the Hardcore. That housing shit is a fucking gold mine.
so you think its just a roundabout means for Carbine to sell gold?
By making it "play time" they can avoid the stygma of gold selling.
And at the same time its more enticing then just gold boosts?

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Yes. 6 plat on Stormtalon/Dom is going for around 60 bucks on player auctions right now. Similar prices elsewhere. Or you can buy 1 credd from Carbine for 20 bucks and sell it for around 6 plat. Doesn't matter if you agree with gold selling and buying or not, it's gonna happen no matter what you do. This way at least it's a safe transaction for the buyer and seller and actually benifits the playerbase and Carbine. Only thing they need to really worry about is Credd flooding the market from stolen credit cards.

TheYanger

Bronze Knight of the Realm
By making it "play time" they can avoid the stygma of gold selling.
And at the same time its more enticing then just gold boosts?
Holy shit how hard is this. It's just like Plex in eve. It's a legitimate way to buy and sell in-game currency among players, and it has the added benefit of letting people stay subbed. They're not like trying to sneak it in or anything, and it doesn't create money out of thin air.

It's exactly the same as TONS of people in wow who find a guy on the server to pay gold to in order to get game time. Just legitimate and no hassle or middle man. They also are hoping to use Credd at some point as a unit of payment for things like server transfers or whatever else.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Blizzard experimented with it, buying pets from the store and the ability to AH them. I don't know if they did anything after that. It's really going to become the norm since there is such a high demand for buying gold. Would be silly for the developer to not cash in on that.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ummm, I was just explaining Caliane's point . The game is essentially F2P to the loyal players who can accumulate lots of plat and purchase CREDD. Whether the CREDD system ends up generating extra revenue for Carbine is not relevant to that point.
This is what you said :
In other subscription based games, your loyal players are a constant source of monthly revenue.In Wildstar Carbine won't be getting much, if any, revenue from them.
Which is completely wrong. Because Carbine makes money from sub or credd and actually more from credd because its $5 more then a monthly sub.

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
What he's probably not seeing/experiencing is that once you're 50 and capped on your elder gems for the week you get a boost to your gold farming automatically. I am by no mean good at farming and I've made a little over 20 plat after having bought 2 credd when they were first introduced at 3p per. I know some people that were able to farm 7-8 credd during the month. Carbine gets its cut from me and I don't pay the monthly subscription. Carbine is thus a happy little pimp that gets a good cut of me. It feels like everyone wins.

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
Us MMO players are really fucking stupid when it comes to these things. It's $15!
I've heard this a lot and I don't think that the people saying it really get it. Obviously I can make more money working at my job for an hour to afford my monthly sub. I get the necessary gold requirement as a byproduct of doing something I would be doing anyways however. It's not like if credd weren't available I wouldn't be paying my sub. Instead I get to use the in game currency to pay for the monthly sub so that instead of say dyeing my armor hot pink I get a month free of playtime. It's not as if I am standing around farming gold for an hour thinking to myself that I'm saving 15$.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
This is what you said :

Which is completely wrong. Because Carbine makes money from sub or credd and actually more from credd because its $5 more then a monthly sub.
You're just quibbling over semantics and trying to change the argument because you are still missing the original point. Some of you guys are so quick to attack people here you don't ever consider the other side of the argument.

I fully understand how the CREDD system works. I think its a good idea IF ( a big IF) it cuts down on gold sellers, botters, etc. The issue is whether subscription model + CREDD is a better business model than FTP + CREDD. Caliane's original point, at least as I understood it, is that the latter model would be more profitable for Carbine than what they currently use.

Instead of viewing the players as hardcore vs casual, a better way is breaking them down by 1) loyalists/fanboy (gonna keep playing every month no matter what the business model is; 2) 50/50 (decides month to month on whether they keep playing or not and 3) potential new or returning player.

In regards to #2 and #3, the assumption is that you will increase the size of your player base if the game is FTP. Revenue is generated by Carbine selling CREDD and having a LOT of stuff, especially housing decorations, costumes etc only purchaseable with CREDD.

As other MMOs like SWTOR have shown, the F2P model generates more revenue than the subscription model. The assumption therefore is that F2P + CREDD would be more profitable for Carbine than subscription + CREDD.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Player A spends 20 bucks to buy Credd from Carbine to sell to player B for # platinum. I just dont see what you're going on about, Rescorla.

edit- in regards to your latest post. They have most of the stuff for housing listed for Platinum/gold. You can either farm that much or you can sell CREDD to get it. Those players that dont want to deal with that shit can just pay a sub for 5 bucks less. There will always be Gold Farmers, in any game, but only a moron is going to buy Platinum at a ridiculous price versus just selling Credd.

Sunspots_sl

shitlord
Credd is badass for people like me. From day one I start saving gold and finding ways to make profits. Its how I play the game and as my reward, I never have to pay a sub.
The people who actually buy the credd from Carbine don't give a fuck what the going rate on credd is because that 4-8 plat makes them feel rich at lvl 10. These are people with plenty of disposable income but are probably afraid to buy gold from the less reputable sources for fear of being banned, or having their account stolen. More over, for Carbine, selling Credd is a no brainer because essentially they are selling subscriptions that might not even ever be used. This can triple their revenue from people who would otherwise cancel after the free month is over who now have plenty of gold to purchase a couple more. Credd,Plex, and all its other iterations is probably the smartest innovation to mmos in the last 10 years. Its a win/win/win.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
Player A spends 20 bucks to buy Credd from Carbine to sell to player B for # platinum. I just dont see what you're going on about, Rescorla.
That is correct under the current subscription model. The issue that was raised is whether that is the best business model considering it allows the most loyal players to play the game defacto F2P after a onetime box purchase.

Daidraco

That is correct under the current subscription model. The issue that was raised is whether that is the best business model considering it allows the most loyal players to play the game defacto F2P after a onetime box purchase.
But its not F2P in the grand scheme for them. They have to spend the platinum that they could be using elsewhere on CREDD. The person buying CREDD is not only buying an additional Sub (because they have to buy one too!) but they are buying a Sub at an additional 5 $ just so they can have some extra platinum. What is so hard about this?

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
But its not F2P in the grand scheme for them. They have to spend the platinum that they could be using elsewhere on CREDD. The person buying CREDD is not only buying an additional Sub (because they have to buy one too!) but they are buying a Sub at an additional 5 $ just so they can have some extra platinum. What is so hard about this?
Sigh. I already clearly said I fully understand how the system works. My question is why is so hard for you and others to understand that the issue being raised is whether that system is the best business model for this game. The alternative is B2P + CREDD. I used the term FTP earlier but that really doesn't apply since you have to pay the box price.

Daidraco

A clear, concise and thought out question would have been more productive at the beginning. Right now, a sub model with CREDD is far more profitable than a B2P or F2P model. The game is fresh, new and has a vibrant community. The game has content for days, even for hard core people. If Carbine can keep its current players and attract more players, then they are suited to stay with the Sub model. If the game starts to falter, they slip on their promises and it goes down hill rather quickly (which isnt likely, I dont think) then yes, it might be more attractive for them to go with a B2P or F2P model. Star Wars: the Old Republic is a terrible example. That game fell flat on its face, and its only redeeming quality was the story. Ie. Damn right F2P made a big ass difference. I dont have a single friend that stuck with that game more than a couple months. WildStar gives some of the guys I know a Hard on and theyll probably play it till the wow expansion hits.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Whatever you think of the game... the dev speak videos are pretty damn good.

turbo

Molten Core Raider
Personally I wish a topline MMO would come out with a $30+ a month sub if geninue quality support and development was provided. I just don't understand the idea behind the magical $15 dollar amount. I know everyone has different circumstances but I can say I grew up in poverty and managed to still play video games and $15 a month on almost a sole source of entertainment is not exactly going to move the needle in even the most dire circumstances (granted I started working at age 12 and was working 80 hours a week starting at age 14 during summers but I also paid for every single thing I owned or consumed damn near).

Might attract a smaller audience but I bet the rention rate would be higher as they have more committed as long as their was true content development and quality support that far surpasses todays garbage. Give me an updated Vanguard that is repolished and has ongoing support and i'll give you $60 a month in a heart beat.....oh Brad you fucking moron.