Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
Stave it does suck having to level up to 25 multiple times but 25 is a very good level to get a feel for most classes. If you can stand it getting to 25 with Engineer should be an experience. With Warrior it doesn't get good till 45 IMO.
I just started one recently to try it and so far I just hate the speed of some of their attacks.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I just started one recently to try it and so far I just hate the speed of some of their attacks.
Too slow? It really gets quick once you get to like 40. I open with energy augur because I'm lazy but otherwise it's all Bioshell T4 (instant), the crit skill, and electrocute as the skills I use (with artbot shelling like he's in Baghdad).

Mahstah_sl

shitlord
Is there another one like it in the game? Shit is beast bruh.
Not that I am aware of.

rrr_img_70396.jpg

I wish they would put the others in game. I want the esper one so bad.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Anyone have a spare PC Gamer contest sword code? Someone who signed up and doesn't plan on continuing with WS? I would appreciate the code if you don't mind giving it away.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
Anyone have a spare PC Gamer contest sword code? Someone who signed up and doesn't plan on continuing with WS? I would appreciate the code if you don't mind giving it away.
Ditto this. I'm a Warrior, swords are my business.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
I played an Esper for about 10 minutes, long enough to know that shit wasn't happening. But I really like engineer combat. lvl 40 now and it is still pretty fun and engaging.
I really,reallywant to like Esper. Considering the type of characters I usually play, it should betheclass for me. But I'm having such a hard time motivating myself to level him up. There is just something inherently clunky with how the class plays, and it's not really even the immobility factor. That part doesn't really bother me that much (and that's possibly because I haven't leveled up high enough to play against mobs with complex telegraphs), but just something about the psi point system isn't gelling with me. It just feels like the class is built around a couple of attacks, and I'm not exactly sure why that stands out so much to me with the Esper since every class I've played basically has some sort of builder ability that they use as a de facto auto attack. It could just be the way I'm playing the class, but something about it just feels so bland to me.

I may give it a couple levels since I'm close to 25 and that's the point I keep hearing people say is when you start to get the full effect of the class, but I'm getting really close to shelving him in favor of a Medic or Spellslinger until they tweak the class like they've talked about.

Mahstah_sl

shitlord
The biggest problem for Espers at this point in time is that the restriction of needing to stand still gives us no benefit at all. You cannot move and you do equal or less damage than all the classes that can move about. If you plan to play dps, Esper takes a lot more work to end up even with the others.

Here is a Reddit thread on this exact issue.
MOAR
MOAR

TLDR: If you are planning to raid as a dps in the foreseeable future choose a different class.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Esper's main issue, from my point of view, is that compared to the other classes they take forever to build their resource. As a Medic my builder adds 1 (healing) or 2 (dps) actuators but my abilities only need 2-3 in order to fire. Esper gain one Psi-point per attack and ideally need to use 5 anytime they pop a finisher. Thats a much less forgiving ratio of builder to finisher. Granted that Espers have a variety of builders tied into several abilities, but it still feels slow and somewhat clunky...especially with the 2.5 second spin-up time.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
I was wondering if some of my problem with Esper might be the cast time of his builder, but I noticed it takes the same time to cast as the Engineer's starter builder (1.25 seconds). I'm thinking it might be what you say about the Psi Points. The difference between class like the Engineer and the Esper is that the Engineer has attacks that build up at different rates. Pulse Blast generates 15 volatility, Bio Shell generates 30, Ricochet generates 20, etc. Nearly every attack the Esper has only generates 1 Psi Point, so it doesn't really feel like there's any benefit to using one ability over another to build points.

And obviously there are balancing reasons for this, but since there's no point in using a finisher before you generate 5 Psi Points, I can't help but have this sense that I'm just spamming attacks until I do. Maybe it just comes down to me not liking a class that is so reliant on his resources.

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
The biggest problem for Espers at this point in time is that the restriction of needing to stand still gives us no benefit at all. You cannot move and you do equal or less damage than all the classes that can move about. If you plan to play dps, Esper takes a lot more work to end up even with the others.
Maybe I'm alone but I think the whole "stand still to cast" mechanic is archaic as hell and needs to die. WoW started going away from this and it made certain classes infinitely more fun to play, until they reverted back to the old ways due to some warped vision of what a caster should be. I tried Esper and it's even worse here than in other MMOs because this is a highly mobile game. Having a class that's forced to stand still in a game about movement is backwards IMO and makes what should be a fun class a lot less enjoyable to play, especially after playing other classes that hamstrung by old age mechanics. Giving Espers a benefit to standing still wouldn't make me any more likely to want to play one, standing still isn't something you should have to do in an MMO released in this decade, much less one that relies so much on movement.

TheYanger

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Maybe I'm alone but I think the whole "stand still to cast" mechanic is archaic as hell and needs to die. WoW started going away from this and it made certain classes infinitely more fun to play, until they reverted back to the old ways due to some warped vision of what a caster should be. I tried Esper and it's even worse here than in other MMOs because this is a highly mobile game. Having a class that's forced to stand still in a game about movement is backwards IMO and makes what should be a fun class a lot less enjoyable to play, especially after playing other classes that hamstrung by old age mechanics. Giving Espers a benefit to standing still wouldn't make me any more likely to want to play one, standing still isn't something you should have to do in an MMO released in this decade, much less one that relies so much on movement.
Good thing there are 5 other classes to pick. I think there's an audience for that kind of class, I know lots of people that enjoy being skilled at the movement requirements for standstill casters in wow. That said, I don't think it's for even a large portion of the game playing population these days, I can't stand it.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
Esper's main issue, from my point of view, is that compared to the other classes they take forever to build their resource. As a Medic my builder adds 1 (healing) or 2 (dps) actuators but my abilities only need 2-3 in order to fire. Esper gain one Psi-point per attack and ideally need to use 5 anytime they pop a finisher. Thats a much less forgiving ratio of builder to finisher. Granted that Espers have a variety of builders tied into several abilities, but it still feels slow and somewhat clunky...especially with the 2.5 second spin-up time.
The ratio of DPS done by builders to finishers is a major issue. Yes finishers should do more that's why they are called finishers. But a lot of time builder DPS is verging on insignificant. Take Engineer. They go through three stages

lvl 1 - 25 - Cast two x 2 builders - 1.75sec and 1.9 sec, pop a couple of cooldowns to keep your spender resource going, spam finisher

lvl 25 to 50 - only change is one of the 2 sec cooldowns can be specced to be insta cast when your resource has built to optimal range, though still on GCD

lvl 50+ - use Dasher boots and a couple of AMPs so instead of using builders you roll around like an idiot constantly to kick in your resource and spam your finisher

The 'clunkiness' Cantatus complained about is exactly my feeling about the classes I tried. The few things I found fun were actually broken things that will probably be patched out (eg the degree of Stalker self healing).

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
If anyone has the rest in peacemaker code I'd be happy to work out some kind of trade. My main is a warrior and I want that damn sword.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
The ratio of DPS done by builders to finishers is a major issue. Yes finishers should do more that's why they are called finishers. But a lot of time builder DPS is verging on insignificant. Take Engineer. They go through three stages

lvl 1 - 25 - Cast two x 2 builders - 1.75sec and 1.9 sec, pop a couple of cooldowns to keep your spender resource going, spam finisher

lvl 25 to 50 - only change is one of the 2 sec cooldowns can be specced to be insta cast when your resource has built to optimal range, though still on GCD

lvl 50+ - use Dasher boots and a couple of AMPs so instead of using builders you roll around like an idiot constantly to kick in your resource and spam your finisher

The 'clunkiness' Cantatus complained about is exactly my feeling about the classes I tried. The few things I found fun were actually broken things that will probably be patched out (eg the degree of Stalker self healing).
I started the rolling at 40ish... send in droids to attack (puts me in combat), roll twice, bioshell (instant), electrocute on finisher until bioshell is back up while I keep resource in optimal range (30 <> 70. Honestly, it's pretty easy. The issue though is that the crit reaction (not sure the name) is the big hitter, with Bioshell (earner) being 2nd and Electrocture (spender) being 3rd. I think Electrocute gets a better benefit from Assault Power than the others do.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider

I am afraid its going to get nerfed but currently the engineer mechanic is so forgiving once you select volatility rising and the 20 vol on dash powers that pretty much the only builders I use are for the extra range on the initial pull or instant cast richochets. When one class has to work hard to build up their charges and another can pretty much ignore their resources something is going to eventually happen.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
I forgot to mention engineer tanks resource gen is even more stupid than their dps brothers. For tank spec which I use leveling the most used resource spender actually GAINS you 1 volatility per tick when in the 30-70 volatility range. So basically roll twice and partical ejector up to 70 pop unstable miasma and back to partical ejector. If you somehow accidentally double pump the UM just dodge once instant richocet and back to work. Some classes complain about slow leveling times when in tank mode but due to being able to utterly ignore volatility if I have my DPS stance active I tend to kill things as fast or faster than DPS speced engineers when soloing.