Will Smith n Oscar Town

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The "had to get his stomach pumped" rumor when I was a kid was always about Rod Stewart. Hilarious that the next generation picked it back up and ran with NKOTB.
This. That shit started in the fucking 70s and got recycled like the newer generations due with every movie these days. And Richard Gere was the dude I first ever heard get the hamster up the ass rumor attributed to them. The players change, but the game always stays the same.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
This. That shit started in the fucking 70s and got recycled like the newer generations due with every movie these days. And Richard Gere was the dude I first ever heard get the hamster up the ass rumor attributed to them. The players change, but the game always stays the same.
1700340047433.jpeg

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
It's that time again, faggots.

Here's what I've seen so far and how I rank them:
1. Poor Things - Yorgos Lanthimos is prob in the top three best directors of the past decade. Imagine a Tim Burton dark comedy fantasy only Tim Burton still makes good movies (shots fired?). It's hilarious, it's whimsical, it's delicious. Dafoe, Ruffalo, and Stone _should_ all get awards for their work. Go see if you can handle all the boobs and dongs.
2. Oppenheimer - You know what this is. Just a masterful work by one of the best.
3. The Holdovers - I heard someone describe this movie as "cozy" and I agree. It's like a warm blanket on a cold day. It feels good and you'll feel good watching it. It also looks like it was filmed in the 70s.
4. Killers of the Flower Moon - It's long. It's heartbreaking. I wish it was written a little differently??? I dunno. I'll give it a "pretty dang good". Lily Gladstone nailed it and is awesome and deserves Best Actress for her role (though if I had my Davey-way I'd give one to Emma Stone in Poor Things too)
5. Barbie - Most have seen. It's just good ole fun here. Prob not a best picture but I'd watch again.
6. Anatomy of a Fall - Great acting and interesting story. Not something I'd watch again but I appreciate that it's here.

Need to watch:
- American Fiction
- Maestro
- Past Lives
- Zone of Interest

Thoughts on who I think should get best x awards based on what I've seen:
Best Actor - Cillian Murphy
Best Supporting Actor - Mark Ruffalo. (Dafoe should've gotten a nom for his role as well)
Best Actress - Lily Gladstone and Emma Stone ... pls
Actress in a Supporting Role - Da'Vine Joy Randolph
Cinematography - Poor Things (I'd put my money on Oppenheimer tho)
Costume Design - Poor Things (not even a hestitation here)
Directing - Yorgos Lanthimos
Editing - Oppenheimer (?) I think Ill have to watch again
Writing Adapted Screenplay - Poor Things

I'm basically saying go see Poor Things

• 1Direct to DVD

Juvarisx

Florida
You are right on editing, Oppenheimer was his tightest movie which is impressive considering its three hours. I agree that Poor Things was my fav movie of the year it was fucking bonkers, but this is Nolans year Oppenheimer is going to run the gauntlet with BP, Director, Actor and probably supporting actor (RDJ).

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob
emma stone gets hella naked in poor things, right?

oppenheimer definitely getting a big sweep, 2023 was a pretty good year for movies with cape shit and disney movies completely dying off and all the covid movies getting released. probably gonna be looked back as a peak year for 2020s as far as artsy movies are concerned.

i've seen most of the big ones, just have to watch poor things, anatomy of a fall, and maybe holdovers. dunno anything about american fiction, nyad, or zone of interest (nazis? i hate these guys!). unless indiana jones shows up in zone of interest probably not gonna bother.

haven't seen boy and heron either but it should win as a lifetime for miyazaki, as should godzilla for VFX

still most years 9/10 oscar movies i haven't watched, this year i've watched most of them, even saw 2 in theaters, and I really like Killers Flower Moon, Oppenheimer, and Past Lives and would be happy with any wins for those. We also didn't see a rush of oscar bait movies come out in Dec, which is nice.

the interesting snub was margot robbie for actress/barbie and greta gerwig for director/barbie, but putting up ferrera/supporting and gosling/supporting. More funny than anything else I guess.

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
It's kind of nice not having seen any of these things nor feeling the urge to bother with it. I used to love movies, it's a shame.

• 5Solidarity
  • 2Like
  • 1Edgelord
Reactions: 7 users

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
It's kind of nice not having seen any of these things nor feeling the urge to bother with it. I used to love movies, it's a shame.
You sound like your favorite movie must be Scarface

• 1Garbage
  • 1Solidarity

Rabbit_Games

Molten Core Raider
Don't fuck with Scarface. It's a masterpiece.
Also, I agree with the "Movies just don't excite me, anymore" sentiment. It's fucking sad.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Also, I agree with the "Movies just don't excite me, anymore" sentiment. It's fucking sad.
Saw one movie last year, Oppenheimer.

I really dont get how people go and see the endless stream of 75 iq woke rebooted capeshit trash that fills the theaters these days.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Oppenheimer was a long movie, I will credit being focused on the man not Bomb. I will never watch again, it's very well done

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Oppenheimer was very bland and I'm quite sure it was far and away the best thing Hollywood produced last year. Excuse me while I go back to watching old Paul Newman films if I feel the need to even watch something.

• 1Like

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Paul Giamatti was robbed years ago not getting Oscar for Cindarella Man, I think they give it to him this time.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I think him not even getting nominated for Sideways was pretty strange, so I'd be happy for him to get one.