Windows 10

Palum

what Suineg set it to
So installed the insider version on my Yoga 2 (it's only ~3 months old so not an old clunker). Still some teething problems for sure but overall I don't really like the start menu how it's showing up. The one I saw a screenshot of where it was basically 'old' start menu with tiles to the right of it was about as perfect as I could expect given Microsoft would never let you get away from giant clunky squares because that's what everyone else does. On my tablet (desktop mode btw) it basically uses the Win 8 start 'panel' and just throws a bunch of small icons on the left, but none of the structure or utility of the old menu (like it's got bing bullshit in it instead of recently used/pinned apps).

Meh, it's pretty good. I don't know why I was excited - OS are pretty 'boring' to a degree. Edge browser... yay it's a browser? I don't know if it does anything cool. Didn't seem better than the other over-stripped versions of IE/Chrome/Firefox where you have to go back in to reenable 'see anything useful' from view settings.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
If you go into the start menu options, you can toggle it being full screen or being more classic. That's probably what you want.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
It's got a headphone amplifier and it sounds a lot fucking better than the shitty realtek on my motherboard, which made my headphones sound like tin cans. It was 60 dollars. I'd say that it was worth it.

But man, creative really fucking sucks at software.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Is windows 10 any less susceptible to the electronic AIDS than windows 7? My damn kids and their minecraft/roblox/microvolts always seem to catch the AIDS and I end up reformatting their shit to clean it up. I'm sure they're clicking ads and installing shit that they shouldn't, as I manage to use windows 7 without getting compromised. I tried making their accounts not administrator and that just results in me getting called 12 times a day when roblox won't work.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Since Windows 8 there's been a button you can click that wipes the machine back to default. Otherwise just image the baseline with all their apps installed and then restore to there.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Since Windows 8 there's been a button you can click that wipes the machine back to default. Otherwise just image the baseline with all their apps installed and then restore to there.
That would be a handy button. I'll make an image of it this time after I install. It's a bootcamp partition on my old macbook pro so I get annoyed, no reason I can't image it I guess. I'm just lazy because I don't use it anymore.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
That would be a handy button. I'll make an image of it this time after I install. It's a bootcamp partition on my old macbook pro so I get annoyed, no reason I can't image it I guess. I'm just lazy because I don't use it anymore.
Not sure how it would work on a Mac (they do have a Mac edition as well) but if you don't mind spending a few bucks getDeep Freeze. You take a snapshot and every time the computer is restarted any changes made during its last use reverted. I used to use this back in the day when I did consulting for a school and they wanted to wipe any changes/damage the kids did each time the computer was restarted.

Goonsquad Officer
I keep hearing we can get windows 10 free. did they ever confirm we can do a fresh install?

do we know if there is a difference between the upgraded version and the 'pay for' version?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I'm pretty sure Windows 10 is also free perpetually without a valid licensed OS to upgrade from if you agree to be a Windows Insider guinea pig for life and deal with constant fast ring build changes forever.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I'll be their guinea pig. And I will endeavor to have windows picture viewer not automatically start a slideshow when you go full screen. FOR GREAT JUSTICE!

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
I have a spare, 5 year old Dell laptop that runs Windows 8 just fine. I installed the Windows 10 beta on it and it did not like it at all. I had to format and put Windows 8 back on it.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I have a spare, 5 year old Dell laptop that runs Windows 8 just fine. I installed the Windows 10 beta on it and it did not like it at all. I had to format and put Windows 8 back on it.
Did you try and revert to prior OS? Took about 2 minutes to roll back to Windows 8 when I found there were no 980 Ti didn't work (prior to a reliable inf hack).

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
Is windows 10 any less susceptible to the electronic AIDS than windows 7? My damn kids and their minecraft/roblox/microvolts always seem to catch the AIDS and I end up reformatting their shit to clean it up. I'm sure they're clicking ads and installing shit that they shouldn't, as I manage to use windows 7 without getting compromised. I tried making their accounts not administrator and that just results in me getting called 12 times a day when roblox won't work.
Revo uninstaller will usually get rid of most of that crap. A lot of addons/bullshit won't properly uninstall through the regular menu. I have to clean my moms computer every couple months.

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
Did you try and revert to prior OS? Took about 2 minutes to roll back to Windows 8 when I found there were no 980 Ti didn't work (prior to a reliable inf hack).
It wouldn't let me. On of the problems it has was if I opened any Windows settings option screens, they would become unresponsive. I could click the button but nothing would happen. Then, after 30 seconds, the window would become impossible to close and task manager wouldn't open so that I could kill it. It happened every time I went to settings screens of any kind.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
It wouldn't let me. On of the problems it has was if I opened any Windows settings option screens, they would become unresponsive. I could click the button but nothing would happen. Then, after 30 seconds, the window would become impossible to close and task manager wouldn't open so that I could kill it. It happened every time I went to settings screens of any kind.
Yikes. Yeah something hosed there. Haven't seen anything like that's across 2 pcs and 2 tablets, thankfully. Going to throw it on an older laptop this weekend and see if I see anything similar.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
Anyone come up with a way short of uninstalling it to keep the bloody 'reservation' icon hidden?

Citz

Silver Squire
Drag the icon in the notification area (icon bar) then change its property to always hidden.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
Drag the icon in the notification area (icon bar) then change its property to always hidden.
That isn't permanent. Rebooting or some interval causes the icon to reappear (with no notification). To be frank its almost like they're actively trying to piss people off.