Windows 10

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just got an email to my Microsoft Insider account that Office 2016 Preview is now available for download.

Argarth

On the verandah
For DvD (and .mkv playback), I much prefer MPC-HC.

Partly because of the slick interface, but mainly because it's so easy to disable all the included codecs, and just bolt on LAV Audio and Video filters, which is all I use these days.

(edit: oh, and the zoom/stretch functions are superb)

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I've used VLC for ages. Why use anything else? (who the fuck still watches DVDs?)

Siliconemelons

VLC is fine. Unless, you know, you're Sean.

xadion, you're probably using KMS at work, and therefore the VL copy of Windows, which has the KMS key built-in. There is no such thing as Windows keys built in to a BIOS.
Our enterprise windows is KMS, it is known. However our specific enterprise license is a bit IMO of a double sell- as we cannot buy a computer with NO OS and then put our enterprise windows on it...technically...we have to buy it with a key... All our Dells and HPs will come with a windows key- there is a COA sticker with the key on each of them. If you take one of those Dells and format/new HDD and install windows from the dell supplied CD - even if its not the CD that came in the box - it will never ask you for a key and it will authenticate with the key that's on its COA- outside of network/intranet never getting the KMS auth- it sucks the key from somewhere in the Dell hardware, be it actual "BIOS" or not... its on the board somewhere. As a tech I would order comps for my departments etc. w/o windows key to save money, then I got a call from our KMS admin person explaining our license structure how we have KMS # of all our employees and still have to buy individual keys to me is kind of sucky and double dipping...but whatever. Some of my co workers would peel off the COAs off the desktops we got and would use them in their tech side businesses - and none of them would directly authenticate- you had to do the robo call voice chat thing to force the authentication... be it using the "dell" windows cd - or standard iso of the enterprise install.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
So I know they nuked RT but is the 'PC' version also the 'Tablet' version now I assume?

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
When I tried installing the preview on my desktop for some reason it was only recognizing 4 gig of my RAM. Is the preview only the 32 bit version or something? Also fuck Sound Blaster, cunts refuse to release beta drivers for their sound cards so you could actually be waiting a month or two for drivers after the release of Win10.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
So I know they nuked RT but is the 'PC' version also the 'Tablet' version now I assume?
There is now only one base Windows system. Pro and Enterprise add shit like media player, company apps, etc., but there is only one Windows now. When you pull out the notification drawer on the right now, it has an option to toggle Tablet mode.

When I tried installing the preview on my desktop for some reason it was only recognizing 4 gig of my RAM. Is the preview only the 32 bit version or something? Also fuck Sound Blaster, cunts refuse to release beta drivers for their sound cards so you could actually be waiting a month or two for drivers after the release of Win10.
Mine is 64bit and recognizes my 8GB of ram.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I am a big fan so far, Windows doesn't feel like two separate interfaces anymore. One of the sweetest things I've noticed is the storage settings screen, you can set separate default locations to save apps, documents, music, pictures, and videos individually.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
My SB-Z? or whatever works fine in 10147 - Everything works quite nice really - i always upgrade to the newest version and i think i only ran into a few snags in the earlier versions. I do hate the forced AMD engineering drivers that keep trying to overtake my normal drivers tho - f'n annoying.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Our enterprise windows is KMS, it is known. However our specific enterprise license is a bit IMO of a double sell- as we cannot buy a computer with NO OS and then put our enterprise windows on it...technically...we have to buy it with a key... All our Dells and HPs will come with a windows key- there is a COA sticker with the key on each of them. If you take one of those Dells and format/new HDD and install windows from the dell supplied CD - even if its not the CD that came in the box - it will never ask you for a key and it will authenticate with the key that's on its COA- outside of network/intranet never getting the KMS auth- it sucks the key from somewhere in the Dell hardware, be it actual "BIOS" or not... its on the board somewhere. As a tech I would order comps for my departments etc. w/o windows key to save money, then I got a call from our KMS admin person explaining our license structure how we have KMS # of all our employees and still have to buy individual keys to me is kind of sucky and double dipping...but whatever. Some of my co workers would peel off the COAs off the desktops we got and would use them in their tech side businesses - and none of them would directly authenticate- you had to do the robo call voice chat thing to force the authentication... be it using the "dell" windows cd - or standard iso of the enterprise install.
You're doing it wrong. If you've got an MS EA with a KMS key and activation server, you shouldn't be buying PC's with a pre-loaded OS. Just buy BTO Dell/Hp's with PC-DOS installed and you've met the licensing requirement to load your Windows 7/8.1 Enterprise with KMS key on it.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
My SB-Z? or whatever works fine in 10147 - Everything works quite nice really - i always upgrade to the newest version and i think i only ran into a few snags in the earlier versions. I do hate the forced AMD engineering drivers that keep trying to overtake my normal drivers tho - f'n annoying.
Weird, I have the same card and it wouldn't work with the default Win10 drivers (This was only a couple of weeks ago). When I checked the SB site I only found some schedule of planned driver release dates.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Youre right actually, at some point it did not work, it was maybe the late 9900s or something but now its working fine. It shows up at the Sound Blaster Z in D.Manager as well. However at one point i was using my realtek audio b/c it wouldnt load the SBZ.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I've had tons of problems with the soundblaster z control panel app. The basic card drivers have never really given me a problem.