Windows 10

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I had to replace the hard drive, good old Seagate Barracuda and their 25% failure rate. So the hash won't match. Like Eomer said, I have to go back through the upgrade process. Or just do the other thing.
The hard drive doesn't matter. It's like motherboard and NIC (which is on the motherboard) is all that matters.

I installed a new SSD and clean install of Windows 10, activated without issue. Even had to reinstall again when somehow my W10 upgrade drive corrupted my new drive and prevented it from booting. Activated again without issue.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
The hard drive doesn't matter. It's like motherboard and NIC (which is on the motherboard) is all that matters.
Yeah then I don't understand why the activation didn't work. Idk, MS support fixed it, you have to give them your original product key, if you don't have that you just have to reinstall the earlier version and upgrade again

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I think so, but if a few hiccups are going to bother you then wait till the new year. They're still iterating at a good clip. It's more responsive than anything else they've pushed out in a long time. Some of the newer apps are much more of a work in progress. I don't like their mail app, and I've heard oddities about the calendar app, but I don't use it. The new browser is actually quite good, but extensions are still a goal.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Ahh crap. I finally got around to upgrading to Windows 10 and I can't activate the damn thing. Legit copy of 7 Home Premium with SP1. Upgraded in place. I did not do a fresh format or anything. Frustrating!!!

edit: Tech support said to revert back to windows 7 then update to windows 10 via windows update instead of the media creation tool. That's all well and good except windows update is stuck at searching for updates. WTF is going on?

Agraza

Registered Hutt
If it's stuck at searching for updates you probably need to restart at least once. I've had that twice, and both times after I rebooted it cleared up and did an OS update. It doesn't happen every time the OS needs to be updated, and it gives you no info when it does happen, so it's definitely lame. I just figure since I'm still an insider on the fast ring it's what I have to put up with. Hopefully y'all don't have much more of those kinds of issues.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Well I downloaded a couple window updates files and tried again. Definitely much smoother this time and it seems to be working perfectly.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
So far so good. It imported all of my settings and drivers without me having to do anything. I just went into all the options and turned all of the automatic sharing, privacy, and bandwidth stuff off.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
This "Updates Avaliable" popup that has recently started appearing is really getting on my nerves. Trying to find a way to disable it but all Google will give me when I search is page upon page of unrelated stuff about the Windows Upgrade icon.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Interesting now MS is forcing the Win10 updater to show up in the taskbar...

I don't use windows that much anymore Win10 doesn't interest me in the slightest(I did remove the original Win10 upgrade app, but now it seems to be around all the time =/)

Found fix Remove Update KB3035583(This update also carries some of the Win10 spy junk that MS forced on all Windows Users.)

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Win 10 update is so shitty it might as well be an Apple "fuck you, I'm in charge" product.

So I turn on PC. Immediately dls one fucking minor update and interrupts me to tell me that it's figured out the best time to restart so it doesn't interrupt me is EXACTLY 7:41am tomorrow morning. Ok, asshole, I'm turning you off tonight so who cares.

Thirty seconds later it revised its estimate to right now, so now I have to click into the fucking window and select any time later, thinking at least I'm done.

Turn cpu off, go to bed. Next evening I turn it on again. It's telling me it still needs to install that same KB. What the fuck? It tells me it needs to install tomorrow at 6:22pm which is a good time I'm not on (false), so I say fuck it after dismissing it and just reboot because it's pissing me off.

Reboots, didn't install. Are you fucking stupid win 10? How did this go backwards. Only now, miraculously, it tells me it's scheduled a restart but doesn't pop up the little select a different time thing, so I have to dig through control panel to click the SPECIAL BLUE RESTART BUTTON.

Fuck you, MS, give me control of update back on pro versions.

Kirsie

Lord Nagafen Raider
My boyfriend "upgraded" to 10 on his laptop and then rolled it back two days later. Agreed with lots of other people, and said it was phoning home to Microsoft too often for his liking, and that there wasn't a good way to disable that. This is obviously secondhand, but I was about to try it too, and now I think I'll wait to "upgrade" either of my machines.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
It's definitely a lot more linked in with Microsoft than ever. Unless they get some savage pushback I expect them to trend further in this direction going forward.

Kirsie

Lord Nagafen Raider
Honestly, I know my desktop is going to be a pain in the ass to upgrade. Even though i have a legitimate copy of 7, I've done all updates and am not getting the icon to upgrade yet, even after trying all of the "fixes". Strike 1. If i am going to have a bitch of a time with that machine, I have no desire to upgrade JUST my laptop. I prefer both to be on the same OS. Strike 2. Being superconnected to the mother ship? Strike 3. I'll stick with 7 for now. Just my opinion/frustration/ocd, I guess. I wanted to upgrade, and I wanted to like it. That's just not in the cards right now.

Soriak_sl

shitlord
Even though i have a legitimate copy of 7, I've done all updates and am not getting the icon to upgrade yet, even after trying all of the "fixes".
Have you tried this?How to force Windows to start downloading the Windows 10 update files | VentureBeat | Business | by Jeff Grubb Emil Protalinski

I did that just after Windows 10 launched and it worked perfectly.

As for the "phoning home" issue... I assume nobody who complains about that uses an iOS or Android cell phone or indeed any Google product. Also no mobile games, because those send a shitton of data to the publisher that has nothing to do with the game (e.g. all your contacts).

Kirsie

Lord Nagafen Raider
Have you tried this?How to force Windows to start downloading the Windows 10 update files | VentureBeat | Business | by Jeff Grubb Emil Protalinski

I did that just after Windows 10 launched and it worked perfectly.

As for the "phoning home" issue... I assume nobody who complains about that uses an iOS or Android cell phone or indeed any Google product. Also no mobile games, because those send a shitton of data to the publisher that has nothing to do with the game (e.g. all your contacts).
I tried something very similar. Couldn't tell you offhand if that was the exact command or not, but I can attempt that specific fix when I get home. At least then, I'd have the option if I change my mind.

The phoning home issue isn't as big of a deal to me as it is to my SO, but really it just irks me more than anything. I don't do anything illegal, but people still don't need to know what I'm doing ALL. THE. TIME. You know? Can you tell I grew up before the days of being constantly glued to a smartphone?
smile.png

I know that eventually, my choices will be phone home or gtfo, and will I let them eventually? Not gonna lie... eventually I will. But damn it, I don't want to.