Winter 2022 Anime Thread

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Not sure what Netflix has, but for the main UC timeline you can either start with the original series or The Origin. The original series is pretty damn rough to get in to, I would suggest trying the 3 compilation movies.

The bare bones of the UC shows would be:

1: Mobile Suit Gundam
2: Zeta Gundam
3: Gundam ZZ
4: Char's Counterattack
5 (or 1): The Origin (OVAs or series)
6: Hathaway

Zeta and ZZ have compilation movie versions (A New Translation) that clean up some of the old animation.

After that you have Unicorn and Narrative, which wraps up the UC timeline.

There are some good side stories like Thunderbolt and 08th MS Team.

Of the alternate universe shows, Iron Blooded Orphans is on Netflix and is an absolute must watch. Completely standalone series, fucking brutal.
if i had to choose a gundam alternate universe i'd choose gundam 00, but theres discussion for a mexican standoff between

iron blood ophans / gundam 00 / gundam seed (not destiny)

the music in seed is still top imo, the series is just marred by how gay destiny is

Leon

<Silver Donator>
Xarpolis bro.
not like this GIF

Malkav

French Madman
I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but BOFURI S2 this season was probably a Xarpolis wet dream all along. Because it's definitely not on the seasonal chart nor can I find any official announcement regarding a release date.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Ok, I've now had a chance to watch the first episode of every new show that's aired thus far. The schedule is still showing one that didn't due to tsunami warning the other day. Speaking entirely about new shows (Not season 2, or continuations from last season), this is not going to be a good winter.

Sunday
Baraou no Souretsu (Requeiem of the Rose King) - Based on a play by Shakespeare. Takes place in England, focusing on King Henry and King Richard. It gives me an eventual "Game of Thrones" type of vibe, but it didn't interest me either.

Futsal Boys!!! - An anime about Soccer... erm, "Foot Ball". It's animated very well, but that doesn't make it any less boring. Pass.

Sabiiro no Armor - Reimei (Rusted Armors) - Set in ancient Japan. Samurai/Ninja as well as flint-lock musket type guns. And this one guy has a machine gun for... reasons...? Ok, now someone else has what looks like a bazooka, and someone else is using a sniper rifel. Turning this shit off quickly.

Sasaki to Miyano (Sasaki and Miyano) - High School Homo Gay Boy Love bullshit. What the fuck? You guys were right, most of this season is terrible.

Monday
Tribe Nine - I don't even care about this. Looks like Japan changed into everything being run by gangs. Pass.

Sabikui Bisco (Rust-Eater Bisco) - Big explosion vaporizes Tokyo and leaves massive crator in its wake. Now everything is desert (they say iron desert). Hippos are just walking around the previous Tokyo. Also, whores. Giant crabs and sea creatures live in the iron desert, and there are people that illegally grow mushrooms or something. It's strange, but not bad. I'll stick with this for now.

Gensou Sangokushi - Tengen Reishinki (Fantasia Sango - The Realm of Legends) - Ghost hands beat up some girl while a scared guy runs away. The intro song sounds very 80's. The show is full of giant titted women, but that doesn't make it interesting. Pass.

Tuesday
Tensai Ouji no Akaji Kokka Saisei Jutsu (Genius Prince Raises Nation from Debt) - The title makes me think it's trying to cash in on Genjitsu Shugi Yuusha no Oukoku Saikenki's fame (Realist Hero Rebuilt the Kingdom), which is also back for this season. The animation is all computery, and the twisting shots and zoom in moments miss the mark. The prince actually wants to sell the kingdom, so it isn't the same show after all. On top of that, it isn't bad. The country continues to fail upward. I'll stick with it.

Kenja no Deshi wo Nanoru Kenja (She's the Wise Man's Pupil) - A show about people playing some new MMO. Good concept, but show isn't good. So pass.

Fantasy Bishoujo Juniku Ojisan to (Ordinary Guy Reincarnated as Fantasy Knockot) - Every girl likes the handsome frind. But the ordinary friend can't catch a break. Both are reincarnated. Handsome dude as the same, ordinary dude as hot chick. I just can't get into the premise, so pass.

Wednesday
Orient - A show about mining in some fantasy world. This kid seems to be the best minor with a huge pickaxe that looks like a scythe. This seems to be a show for pre-teens. It's really boring.

Leadale no Daichi nite (In the Land of Leadale) - Isekai show. Seems "cute". Girl programs a game, then dies or something only to awaken living in the game. She has NPC children that she made in the game that are now her real kids. It's silly, but not terrible.

Harokozume - Kouban Joshi no Gyakushuu (Police in a Pod) - A show about young female cops because they're just as good as male cops. And as much as I hate myself for saying this, it honestly wasn't a bad first episode. I'll try the second and see if it's worth keeping.

Koroshi Ai (Love of Kill) - Assassins doing assassin things. One assassin (guy) falls for hot chick bounty hunter. Then he quickly becomes a stalker constantly trying to interact with her. It's a strange show, but I don't hate it so I'll give it more of a shot.

Tokyo 24-ku - 48 min long. Show starts with a kid getting hit by a car. The driver of the car avoids a 2nd kid at the same time by a step. This is set in 2021, but not "our" 2021. It's more futuristic, without actually having anything from the future except the illusion mask thing. I'm 15 minutes into this and still not sure what it's about. But it's made very well.

Thursday
Saiyuuki Reload - Zeroin - It started and I didn't really care. Oh well.

Atasha Kawajiri Kodama Da yo (I'm Kodama Kawashiri) - 2 1/2 minutes. The intro takes up 1 1/2 minutes of that time. Even still it isn't worth watching. Not good.

Friday
Slow Loop - It's a show about fishing. And I have no interest.

Girls' Frontline - Girl soldiers that are really dolls or something. This type of show never appeals to me, so pass.

Shuumatsu no Harem (World's End Harem) - Virus kills most guys, so all women want to fuck whoever is left. It's the only way to maintain humanity.

Cue! - A show about voice actors that speak for animation and video games and shit. The show seems pretty boring.

Saturday
Syhikkakumon no Saikyou Kenja (The Strongest Sage) - It's a world where people have 'crests' that give them special abilities. You seem to get them by aging. This kid is really strong even with bad 'crest' abilities.

Sono Bisque Doll wa Koi wo Suru (My Dress-Up Darling) - It's about this kid whos grandfather introduced him to doll making, and it's been his addiction since childhood. He's in high school now and has no friends, when he suddenly meets the coolest girl in school that wants to get into Cosplay but isn't good at sewing. His skill at making clothes for dolls give them a comonality and now friends. It was a surprisingly good first episode. Most of you won't like, but I enjoyed it.

Akebi-chan no Sailor-fuku (Akebi's Sailor Uniform) - It's a very cute slice of life style anime. Girl lives in a small community and gets accepted to a private middle school. Her mom went and now she's going, and the uniform looks like a sailor. It's cute, but fuck this. Pass.

Kaijin Kaihatsu-bu no Kuroitsu-san (Ms. Kuroitsu from Monster Development) - Takes place in the world of Power Ranger type teams, where every monster except one has already been defeated by that countrie's team. So this show is trying to build a new monster that can stop them. This is like a reverse Gridman without being as good. Special mention of the following:

Neiger.pngUnfortunately not pronounced like you would imagine. Neigh-Garr

Last edited:

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Sabikui Bisco has some really interesting world building.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Malkav

French Madman
Kaijin Kaihatsu-bu no Kuroitsu-san (Ms. Kuroitsu from Monster Development) - Takes place in the world of Power Ranger type teams, where every monster except one has already been defeated by that countrie's team. So this show is trying to build a new monster that can stop them. This is like a reverse Gridman without being as good. Special mention of the following:

Man your comparisons suck sometimes. The show is a comedy, it's closer to "Combatants will be dispatched" than anything, except you're following the monter R&D department of a weirdo secret society. It's ribbing pretty heavily on corporate project management (crunch, boss messing up with designs, jank business presentations...).

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Actually kinda feels like a cop-out that seriously undermines what Kamaboko Gonpachiro and Nezuko did previously in this fight.
Upon reflection, maybe it's important for Upper Moons to be unique and incredibly powerful and even in pseudo-saiyan mode Itadaki Tontaro shouldn't come that close to easily killing one this early in the series, protagonist or not.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Man your comparisons suck sometimes. The show is a comedy, it's closer to "Combatants will be dispatched" than anything, except you're following the monter R&D department of a weirdo secret society. It's ribbing pretty heavily on corporate project management (crunch, boss messing up with designs, jank business presentations...).
That was my biggest disagreement too. Show made me laugh. Not amazing by any stretch, but I liked the first episode enough that I’ll keep with it for now.

His explanation of strongest sage was way off, but he still liked it, so gave that a pass. Crests are permanent, so the guy did a spell or something of the sort so he’d die and reincarnate, in the hope of the best crest. It’s an op char show, which has been worth the watch so far.

Genius prince is definitely a troll of realist hero. If you’ve watched realist boring hero, you’ll enjoy this more almost certainly.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
sabikui bisco is such nonsense, but in a good way.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
What you don't think Mushroom explosion arrows are a solid magical martial arts discipline?

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Latest Leadale was decent. I like how it's poking fun at itself (well, Isekai as a whole).

The MC was teaching a class how to make a high potion. She did it very MMO style. Open her inventory and remove the items. Click combine and poof, there's a potion.

The teacher of the class is like "Where did the vial come from?" Her answer "How the hell would I know?" It made me giggle a bit.

Wingz

Being Poor Sucks.
Just watched the Fate movie for Solomon.

Great stuff. Though if you haven't watched any of the other adaptations or played the mobile game I admit you may be a bit lost.

Super happy at that the lower rarity servants got some screen time and some good shots in there.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think AoT, Demon Slayer and now Mushuko Tensei have upped my expectations for quality animation. All the new series this season are trash in that regard, except for Bisco. As for story, I like the Lazy Prince series the best so far, with Bisco being 2nd.

• 1Like

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
God damn another episode of crazy good animation for Demon Slayer.

• 1Like