Winter 2023 Anime Thread

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Handyman is great. Yea it's all over the place, but I dunno that may be it's charm to me. The last episode did start to try and tie stuff together kinda, but I'm okay if it stays out there. Trigun is also really good. Sugar apple fairy, ect. No clear favorite of the season yet. I'm leaning a bit towards food box, but it's not the typical knock it out of the park favorite we've gotten for a while. Lots of good shows this season, but none are really dominating the scene.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
My Hero Expositionia.

Deku going rogue was not how I foresaw this arc ending. The very first villain they showed in the post-credit teaser was Muscular about to kill the tremor guy from the provisional hero license exam, so I wonder if he and Deku are gonna go another round or if that kid graduated and is a sidekick by now, with whoever he is sidekicking for being the one fighting Muscular.

As entertaining as MHA has been, it's still a very traditional shonen so I'm expecting that being on his own without support in such chaotic and desperate times will lead Deku to start getting a lot more brutal with villains, adopting sort of a 'what would Bakugo do' mentality, then starts to tread dangerously close to the line of villainy himself until a confrontation with Bakugo puts him back on the straight and narrow.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
My Hero Expositionia.

Deku going rogue was not how I foresaw this arc ending. The very first villain they showed in the post-credit teaser was Muscular about to kill the tremor guy from the provisional hero license exam, so I wonder if he and Deku are gonna go another round or if that kid graduated and is a sidekick by now, with whoever he is sidekicking for being the one fighting Muscular.

As entertaining as MHA has been, it's still a very traditional shonen so I'm expecting that being on his own without support in such chaotic and desperate times will lead Deku to start getting a lot more brutal with villains, adopting sort of a 'what would Bakugo do' mentality, then starts to tread dangerously close to the line of villainy himself until a confrontation with Bakugo puts him back on the straight and narrow.

I swear I had the exact same thoughts!

...minus the sidekicking. Never crossed my mind.

I'm like they are setting this up so Deku becomes borderline bad guy. With no supervision and villainy running rampant it's an easy path to go down. Bakugo will be the one to talk him back to the straight and narrow, they find Deku after a villain killing massacre. That, or the in head talk with the One for All gang pops up right before he is about to go murder hobo on a bunch of weaklings he doesn't need to kill, and he realizes he is murdering a tad too much. Well I HOPE this is where it goes.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I swear I had the exact same thoughts!

...minus the sidekicking. Never crossed my mind.

I'm like they are setting this up so Deku becomes borderline bad guy. With no supervision and villainy running rampant it's an easy path to go down. Bakugo will be the one to talk him back to the straight and narrow, they find Deku after a villain killing massacre. That, or the in head talk with the One for All gang pops up right before he is about to go murder hobo on a bunch of weaklings he doesn't need to kill, and he realizes he is murdering a tad too much. Well I HOPE this is where it goes.

oh god what if it's Stain who puts him back on the straight and narrow instead of Bakugo?!?

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
1676129615770.png

• 1Like

Leon

<Silver Donator>
Damn wish deku's mom didn't let herself go, what a milf.

Another great episode.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Damn wish deku's mom didn't let herself go, what a milf.

Another great episode.
She's ahead of the curve on the asian women aging meme.

I'm a lot less confident about my prediction that Midoriya would start to stray off the hero path and need correction after that episode, he isn't really going rogue if All Might and the three top ranked pros are quietly backing him up.

They handled Muscular perfectly imo. Deku needed to quickly and easily win the rematch but by having him exploit the effects of another hero's ultimate move they did it without power creeping Deku or selling Muscular short, and the reveal that he's reliant on support gear similar to what he used back in the first movie also helps keep the traditional shonen power creep in check, at least for a while.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Eminence season 2 announced today, its been my favorite show this season and last, hope it comes out soon.

• 1Solidarity

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Anyone with half a brain knew that going farther than a single season of Vinland Saga was going to be a complete flop because it's a completely different show that is gonna bore the fanbase to tears. Just pretend that it was about Askeladd instead of Thorfinn.

As far as my prediction about Deku losing his way a bit, it seems like I couldn't possibly have been more wrong. He's such an utter paragon of heroism that it borders on absurdity. I could theoretically see the second and third users trying to push him into going too far next season but I don't see the other users going along with it and I'm guessing the mangaka just never goes down that route. I am curious to see how Stain features back in though, I imagine almost all of his former quarry has quit hero work so does he make a full swerve into anti-hero? OFA's predictive powers, whether they're a quirk or more likely just the wisdom of an unnaturally long life spent interacting with heroes, are a little tiresome.

Leon

<Silver Donator>
Stain was the best 'vilain' of them all tbh. That scene where he confronts the hero and they just freeze there was just so well done.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If the Heroes fought OFA / Shiragaki with the intent to kill, this would be a short anime. I had thought the last arc was going to introduce someone with an absurd quirk, then kill them, but it looks like it'll be this arc.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
It's a core aspect of the superhero genre that heroes don't kill except in the most extreme of circumstances. We're literally right in the middle of a story warning about the consequences of extrajudicial killing. Now you can definitely make an argument that villains like OFA and Muscular should be tried and executed instead of kept alive in a joke of a secure facility but that's a separate issue. Endeavor was definitely trying to kill Shigaraki but he had too much plot armor.

Also I forgot to mention how slick the opener was and the fact that even the powerless stick figure version of All Might has so much presence that he can scare off low level criminals.

1677427791510.png

• 1Like