Winter 2023 Anime Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I think it's pretty well done. Most shows go the "boy scout" route. This feels way more sincere and realistic

Wingz

Being Poor Sucks.
Still really liking Bofuri.

Looks like a PVP event? Gonna go out and call it now. Sally vs Maple.. all season long characters been commenting like "I hope I don't have to go against you later"

Now gonna close out the season with an event similar to the first one (that Sally missed). Also like the Digimon / Pokemon style monster companions. Can't wait to see what they do.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
This MHA arc is really weird to me. I thought it was going to have him be a kind of wandering hero thing or something but this... isn't that.
I think cutting it short makes sense. A 16 year old kid relentlessly pushing himself to the edge of collapse in what is practically a post-apocalyptic wasteland without any support? If his classmates don't bring him in he's just easy pickings for AFO and then everything is lost. Maybe they could have squeezed another episode or two of BatDeku in but I think it always had to be a short arc.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
This handyman saito episode. I didn't expect an animation flex like this. Bravo series, that was a fucking fun episode.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Campfire cooking has turned out to just be a great relaxing show so far.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Onimai is over 😭 It was so gooooood.

It seems like gender bendy animes are always great. Kashimasi, Ouran highschool host club etc

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Kinda funny, after how utterly fucking insane Season 6 of MHA has been, it's also the first season where it feels like it kinda sputters at the end. They should have found a way to rearrange events to put deku vs his classmates in episode 24 so there is only a single wind down episode at the end of the season instead of two in a row. Maybe just mainly swap the events of 23 and 24, with 23 having them victoriously show up to UA with Deku and deal with the crowd, then use 24 to flashback to the fight.

I almost hope we never see Stain again. Even if it wasn't quite the last thing he said, "Akaguro are you a man or a beast?" "I am a beast who is on the side of a just world" is such a brilliant exchange to exit the series on.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Oh and apparently not only is the manga not finished yet but Horikoshi has had some health issues. I don't expect a 36 year old non-athlete to just keel over and die but the anime could easily end up dragging out til some time in 2025.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I'm behind on MHA and whatever gavinmad is threatening to kill, but Trigun has done an acceptable job of making CGI bullshit alright. It kinda did some new stuff. Not as good as Foodbox, but definitely an alright show.

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Anyone up to date on Iruma? I got bored of it during the forest food hunting arc, does it get better after that?

Leon

<Silver Donator>
Anyone up to date on Iruma? I got bored of it during the forest food hunting arc, does it get better after that?

Yes.

Good season, lot of good shit

Danmachi hit some good spots, darkness and desperation in the dungeon. Well done.

Sugar apple fairy tale is really REALLY good, from animation to story.

Tomo-chan is just some of the funniest shit i've seen in a while, humor is really well done, and the story is endearing.

Angel next door is really good as well, very very sweet anime, no action whatsoever, just romance but they actually end up together for a change. Good shit.

MHA got me hyped for the last (?) season, and that's coming from someone who lost interest in MHA in season 4 and 5.

Blue lock is some top shelf shit, just pure hype, over the top but without being prince of tennis over the top, just pure 0 to 100 fun with a lot of cocky shit talking characters that all look like they could be the main protagonist in their visual designs.

Nagatoro was fun but not as fun as the first season, however it did progress their relationship quite a bit, so it was enjoyable in a different way. Senpai is getting less of a pussy as the anime evolves which is good.

The evolution of the princess blablablabla was enjoyable, graphically VERY well done. And ya, gay girls in it.

The strongest exorcist i will keep watching, fun enough for me to keep going, animation quality is so so compared to some of the other great stuff this season.

Trigun is a must watch. full stop.

High Card is another sleeper anime this season, great production value and a good story, some interesting characters.

Handyman saitou just grabbed me and never let go, i don't mind if it felt all over the place to introduce its characters at some stages, it ended up making sense in the end.

Campfire cooking is my guilty pleasure. Nothing happens in this anime but it's so fucking relaxing and enjoyable.

Ningen fuishin started off really good then lost me. All over the place and shit didn't make a lot of sense anymore, pretty uninteresting plot, sad really cuase the first 2 or 3 episodes were good. It felt rushed

Chillin in my 30's is fun, animation is kinda trash tho.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I hate soccer. Not a fan. But I decided to watch blue lock for whatever reason and it was probably my favorite of the season.

• 1Like

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yes.

Good season, lot of good shit

Danmachi hit some good spots, darkness and desperation in the dungeon. Well done.

Sugar apple fairy tale is really REALLY good, from animation to story.

Tomo-chan is just some of the funniest shit i've seen in a while, humor is really well done, and the story is endearing.

Angel next door is really good as well, very very sweet anime, no action whatsoever, just romance but they actually end up together for a change. Good shit.

MHA got me hyped for the last (?) season, and that's coming from someone who lost interest in MHA in season 4 and 5.

Blue lock is some top shelf shit, just pure hype, over the top but without being prince of tennis over the top, just pure 0 to 100 fun with a lot of cocky shit talking characters that all look like they could be the main protagonist in their visual designs.

Nagatoro was fun but not as fun as the first season, however it did progress their relationship quite a bit, so it was enjoyable in a different way. Senpai is getting less of a pussy as the anime evolves which is good.

The evolution of the princess blablablabla was enjoyable, graphically VERY well done. And ya, gay girls in it.

The strongest exorcist i will keep watching, fun enough for me to keep going, animation quality is so so compared to some of the other great stuff this season.

Trigun is a must watch. full stop.

High Card is another sleeper anime this season, great production value and a good story, some interesting characters.

Handyman saitou just grabbed me and never let go, i don't mind if it felt all over the place to introduce its characters at some stages, it ended up making sense in the end.

Campfire cooking is my guilty pleasure. Nothing happens in this anime but it's so fucking relaxing and enjoyable.

Ningen fuishin started off really good then lost me. All over the place and shit didn't make a lot of sense anymore, pretty uninteresting plot, sad really cuase the first 2 or 3 episodes were good. It felt rushed

Chillin in my 30's is fun, animation is kinda trash tho.

Farming Life in Another World is good too, very relaxing.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Farming Life in Another World is good too, very relaxing.
Like someone decided to turn their Stardew playthrough into a fleshed out story. They apparently made one very significant change from the manga and I think it vastly improved the show for the better. The manga is just a bog standard harem where he's fucking every single one of them as soon as they show up to his village, but in the anime they just straight up lie to the viewer and act like he's this pure, virginal soul completely oblivious to what all those women want from him. Even after Lulucy gets pregnant it's treated almost like some kind of mystery despite him being the only adult mammal in the village.

The show does make one fairly direct reference to what's happening early on in a line that is taken almost directly from the manga but in just enough of a different context that it snuck by me until someone else pointed it out. The actual reason Lulucy is so eager for Tia to stay in the village is not because of the farmwork but because the endless stamina from the omnipotent farming tool really means ENDLESS STAMINA and he's running her ragged by taking her to poundtown for hours every night.

1679873538194.png

• 1Like

Leon

<Silver Donator>
last episode of tomo chan was today, and it wrapped up the whole series perfectly.

Absolutely A tier show.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Handyman Saitoh got progressively better and ended on an awesome note. Hopefully that gets more seasons. Raelza reeeeeeally wants that half a madaraka.

• 1Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Handyman Saitoh got progressively better and ended on an awesome note. Hopefully that gets more seasons. Raelza reeeeeeally wants that half a madaraka.
The show definitely had a strange start, but it just wore the chaos with a badge. When we got to the arc where they were trying to save grandpa's dick from the demon dog that ate it while he was passed out, I was just like... LET'S GO. Show was nonsense, but fun nonsense.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users