Winter 2024 Anime Thread

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
My wife likes Frieren so much that she wanted me to make her new ringtones for her phone.

These are two that I came up with quickly. She's happy.

EDIT: Sorry, for some reason these weren't flagged as shareable. So they are now.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Clone fight was double hilarious because they are both casting the wildest reality-warping shit that can think of it and none of it amounts to anything, which is probably why she doesn't bother teaching Fern any of it it in the first place.

Just cast 'gun' really fast and over and over, it works better Uriel's Supernova or whatever other god-tier magic.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My wife likes Frieren so much that she wanted me to make her new ringtones for her phone.

EDIT: Sorry, for some reason these weren't flagged as shareable. So they are now.
Try to make one with the Mimic audio.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

e6a5e500b227fc69e0107a91f137ae18.jpg

• 4Like
  • 3Worf
Reactions: 6 users

Leon

<Silver Donator>
Clone fight was double hilarious because they are both casting the wildest reality-warping shit that can think of it and none of it amounts to anything, which is probably why she doesn't bother teaching Fern any of it it in the first place.

Just cast 'gun' really fast and over and over, it works better Uriel's Supernova or whatever other god-tier magic.
None of it amounts to anything because they're evenly matched. Frieren's clone would probably have taken out every other candidate in mere seconds.

The clone was ultimately taken out because it was a 2v1 capitalizing on Frieren's 'weakness' with magic detection while casting.

• 2Like

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
None of it amounts to anything because they're evenly matched. Frieren's clone would probably have taken out every other candidate in mere seconds.

The clone was ultimately taken out because it was a 2v1 capitalizing on Frieren's 'weakness' with magic detection while casting.

Yep. The entire season has shown glimpses of her incredible power many times. She's basically a balanced Sung Jin Woo.

• 2Like

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
Frieren - I've got questions.
Did she fail her simply because Frieren didn't think about things the same way that she did? The story of meeting Himmel seemed to prove the value of nonsense spells. I guess what I'm asking is did her intuition fail her because her way of thinking about magic and the world wasn't adapting?

Gurgeh

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Frieren - I've got questions.
Did she fail her simply because Frieren didn't think about things the same way that she did? The story of meeting Himmel seemed to prove the value of nonsense spells. I guess what I'm asking is did her intuition fail her because her way of thinking about magic and the world wasn't adapting?
I don't think she doesn't see the value of Frieren, but she just doesn't fit in her ranking system.

It's all over the place though, she says the first first class would stand a chance vs Frieren, but she's instantly interested in Fern while losing interest in her other student? And it's obvious considering the previous EP that Fern wouldn't last 3 seconds fighting Frieren.

Also I'm not sure I get the 'it's fluctuating'.

• 2Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
From what I gathered it's actually impossible to stop your mana from fluctuating, even someone who has trained for hundreds of years like frieren can't do it, but most people can't read or see mana as well as they think, so frieren and serie, can easily fool all but the most powerful and adept.

Fern being able to see it proved to Serie she was first class.

Series comment about only the Demon King and the very first, first class mage ever recognizing that about Frieren was the foreshadowing. This show is very well written.

EDIT: As for why she doesn't recognize Frieren as first class, she states that rather bluntly. She sees Frieren as an individual squandering her talent and potential, never living up to what she could be capable of. Frivolous.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I took the Fern seeing the fluctuations and Serie getting excited as Serie being so incredibly strong no one can even see that she's compressing her aura too, on sheer power/skill gap.

Probably looking for the mage that can give her a fun fight/end her.

I haven't read the manga, but this seems to be leading towards Starke feeling kind of pointless beyond slice of life contributions in the future. Folks collapsing black holes n sheeit.

• 1Like

Khane

I took the Fern seeing the fluctuations and Serie getting excited as Serie being so incredibly strong no one can even see that she's compressing her aura too

This is exactly my take as well. Which is why that scene with Serie asking the other first class mages what they thought was necessary dialogue.

The one mage recognizes and conveys to the audience that fully suppressing mana is impossible, but he's also flawed because he didn't recognize the fluctuations in Frierens mana. Serie is acting like she's trying to overwhelm the candidates with her immense mana but she's actually suppressing it and testing the candidates to see if they can detect it.

The comments within those scenes, if you're paying attention, let you know that Fern is a truly exceptional mage. And Frieren constantly tells the audience of Series infallible "intuition" but it's not intuition, it's tactical and deliberate, and also part of why Serie won't recognize Frieren as a first class mage.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
I got why she picked Fern. I'm wondering if Frieren has actually surpassed Serie in the sense that she took Flammes opinion and is living it but Serie still thinks like she did. I think this scene was different in manga.

• 1Like

Khane

I got why she picked Fern. I'm wondering if Frieren has actually surpassed Serie in the sense that she took Flammes opinion and is living it but Serie still thinks like she did. I think this scene was different in manga.

I haven't read the manga but it's implied that frieren surpassed serie long ago simply because she's willing to accept other people's strength and willing to work with that strength to make herself even more powerful. Serie is an island, isolated in arrogance. Frieren is an army. It's a pretty cliche narrative but certain writers and stories can narrate it in interesting and compelling ways, even if we've all heard it 1000 times over

• 2Like

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
There's more background coming next episode, so that will explain some things.

But simply:

1) Serie and Frieren don't see eye-to-eye
2) Frieren likes fucking with Serie

• 2Like